It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarvingArtist

StarvingArtist Well-Known Member

So DC's plan for reinvigorating S comics is to give him as many suits as they can. (eyeroll Jack Cafferty style)

Classic is still the best. New 52 suits are crap.

Though the MOS suit sure is awesome.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Vaibow

Vaibow Well-Known Member

From my understanding, the suit is White, originally and it 'morphs' around/over him! As it does this, it changes colour and displays the s shield! Maybe it is connected consciously, to the wearer and changes upon their mood/train of thought or emotion! Black could be the representation of his mood as judged by the suit???

3. Mindreaper21

Mindreaper21 It's Harvest Time

If the suit changes according to the environment on different planets, then I'd accept that.

4. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

So would most toy manufacturers ;)

5. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

6. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

7. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

The MoS suit really isn't that much better than the New 52 ones.

8. StarvingArtist

Not that different as a design idea maybe; it does look similar to the blue new 52 one. But it still holds more fidelity to the classic suit. And it doesn't look like armor plating. The other new 52 designs are just ridiculous, in and of themselves as well as the idea itself that Superman should be changing his suit ever other week.

I don't know, I also have a different level of appreciation of the MOS suit because it looks awesome on film.

9. StarvingArtist

Agreed but those trunks look like booty shorts

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  10. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

He's not. He's wearing the black suit for one storyline. That takes place on Krypton. Where he has no powers. But the suit gives him powers. The blue suit returns in a short while.

11. Lead Cenobite

I mainly like the MoS suit for the traditional elements, I couldn't care less about the added details.. whatever they're supposed to be. On the other hand, what I like about the New 52 suit is it goes for a more traditional sci-fi look rather than trying to look exotic, and it only really looks like plated armor depending on who's drawing it. And even the idea of it being armor doesn't bother me so much as the ambiguity of how powerful Superman is without it, which has gone unaddressed for over a year now. They say he's the most powerful being on Earth but is that with or without the suit? Armor doesn't bother me because the pre-crisis suit could act as armor when worn by a powerless human. It's just the idea that Superman is dependent on it in the same way Tony Stark is with his Iron Man armor that bothers me.

12. StarvingArtist

It doesn't really matter, the storyline is a ploy to introduce yet another suit design. That's the marketing hook. There have been plenty of Superman stories where he goes back to krypton without him having to change his suit.

13. StarvingArtist

I hear ya and I agree. I don't really know too much about what the comics nowadays say is the relationship between superman and the suit and whether its an iron man-ish kind of thing like you say. I can get into the idea that the suit is impervious and that it could protect a human, I actually really love that idea... but an impervious sci fi suit doesn't have to look like armor plating. It's lazy and it takes away from the mystique surrounding superman's invulnerability on a visual level. I have similar opinions regarding batman's suit looking too much like swat gear.

14. Lead Cenobite

That's true, but in those stories he's powerless. This time they wanted him to go back to Krypton and be super still.

15. Lead Cenobite

I really wouldn't think much of it if it weren't for all the people who talk about the change being to avoid legal problems due to the lawsuit, how Superman can't have trunks or be invulnerable now because the Siegel estate own the rights to those aspects of Superman.

Within the context of the first story arc of Action Comics, the purpose of the suit is clear. Superman's power levels at the time were like the original who could be hurt by explosions and couldn't fly, and Metallo and Brainiac were too much for him to handle, so he needed the armor suit to give him an edge. But we never really find out how much more powerful he gets between the past and the present, or even when he first learned to fly. Since the Brainiac arc ended,there's been a Smallville-level of ambiguity about whether or not he's flying or jumping gracefully, making me wonder if the suit also gives him the ability to fly.

16. StarvingArtist

Fair enough, but there are innumerable ways to conceive that without turning him into super-nazi. It's just so blatantly obvious that they're market testing how bad-ass they can try to make Superman because they think that's what people want to see, I just find it depressing.

That's the new52 continuity? Interesting, so his suit is actually an armor. Lawsuit screwed everything up. I just miss Superman:

[​IMG]

17. Super Kal

Super Kal Proud Conservative

gone are the days of the clessic Superman... le sigh... i may dislike Superman Returns with great intensity, but the one thing he did get right was the traditional design of the suit, regardless of the how small the trunks are, or how small the neckline is, or how small the shield is... yeah, i know, blasphemy, coming from someone who was so vocal about how much he hate the SR suit :p

18. StarvingArtist

Classic superman will be back somehow, I guarantee it.

19. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Now that's Superman.

I'm starting to have my doubts about that.:csad:

20. Llama_Shepherd

I've never thought Superman "needed" the armour to give him an advantage. It's just that the armour is as indestructible as he is.

21. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Yeah, but so was the classic costume in the silver age and it dod not look like armor.

22. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Dapper

Batman has a less armored look than Superman.

Think about that.

23. StarvingArtist

good point.

Last edited by moderator C. Lee: Oct 16, 2012
  24. Llama_Shepherd

But now it does sometimes look like armour. So I don't see your point. In a different universe with a different, albeit massively similar, character their clothes are different, but serve the same purpose? It's not like he switched clothes. That old costume, from a narrative perspective, never existed.

25. Lead Cenobite

This is exactly why I'm unsure. There has been no confirmation anywhere that the changes to Superman are due to the lawsuit. For all we know it's another attempt to make him "relatable" by decreasing his power level and having him rely on armor like human characters such as Batman and Iron Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.