It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the suit. It looks like some sort of metallic skin. What I like most about it is how it seems to change in different lighting as if the suit were alive. I just wish that there were more detail in the shield and boots. As far as how Superman gets the suit on, I hope it's something more unique than just having it under his clothes. The shirt rip never really appealed to me anyway. It would also be amazing if the suit can change to where it can have more armor for huge fights, but nothing too ridiculous like medieval armor. I'm thinking it should be more like how the gauntlets are, yet covering the blue of the suit. Though I doubt this will happen, it just seems like an interesting idea.

I'm delighted with it.

The cape flowing as he enters/leaves the fortress just looks fantastic.

Its got the best 'S' I've seen in any live action superman.

I'm glad they dropped the trunks too, its just too dated when you consider what the original design of the suit was based off. So yeah, I am extremely pleased with it.

I'm delighted with it.

The cape flowing as he enters/leaves the fortress just looks fantastic.

Its got the best 'S' I've seen in any live action superman.

I'm glad they dropped the trunks too, its just too dated when you consider what the original design of the suit was based off. So yeah, I am extremely pleased with it.

Yeah I agree, I think the no trunks thing definitely suits the tone of the movie aswell. The S is the best I've seen its just the right size and I love the long flowing cape, the colours are also spot on. Tbh I even think you could have ditched the yellow on the S on the teaser poster where it looks almost black it looks fantastic but either way I'm happy.

I really don't think the trunks are dated. You could apply that rationale to the entire costume. They look silly maybe. But whatever, it's just Superman.

That being said, I'm in love with the trunkless design now that I've seen it in context. Yeah that shot when he walks out of the fortress sealed the deal for me. I don't even mind the alien motif as much. Trunks or no trunks, both would have been find in my opinion. The one thing I still miss is the yellow S on that cape. I loved that damn S. A dividing topic I know, but again, just my preference.

Speaking of the fortress, I wonder if there will be a giant key. I'm doubting it though.

trunks lol

That's for the sequel.....

28c13k9.jpg

Gotta earn'em, yo?

I'ts interesting that posters refer to the decision to drop the trunks as an effort to update or modernize the suit, when in fact the intent of excluding the trunks is to put emphasis on the alien nature of the suit as it is a Kryptonian garment. Humans wear trunks, Kryptonians do not.

My two cents..............emphasizing the alien side of Superman is a mistake, and hence the suit's departure from classic Superman is also a mistake.

I'ts interesting that posters refer to the decision to drop the trunks as an effort to update or modernize the suit, when in fact the intent of excluding the trunks is to put emphasis on the alien nature of the suit as it is a Kryptonian garment. Humans wear trunks, Kryptonians do not.

My two cents..............emphasizing the alien side of Superman is a mistake, and hence the suit's departure from classic Superman is also a mistake.

Prior to this discovery... Humans wore trucks under their suits, Kryptonians on top.

I think it looks fantastic. Great colors, materials, a wonderful cape, great boots, and the whole suit looks just regal, alien and "lived in" enough. Great, throwback S-shield, too.

I fail to see how the eye being drawn to his crotch with red trunks would be any better than the eye being drawn to his crotch without them. And I don't think WB will care if people's eyes are drawn to Henry Cavill's crotch anyway.

The only part of the suit I don't quite get are the weird, curved stripes/moldings on the legs. And even then I understand their purpose. They're basically there to draw the eye away from his crotch. The entire design swoops up and away and down and away from his crotch, and highlights the less obvious musculature.

What part of this suit looks like armor? If anything it looks like a skintight textured material.

So this is the suit. This is the first full version I've seen.

Meh...I love the classic suit, but I'm ok with updating the costume. Plus, Supes has changed his outfit for many different reasons and for many different things. It's the person in the suit who's going to make all the difference when it comes to MOS. Speaking of that, Cavill seems like he will fill the suit out quite nicely. Personally as a fangirl, I'm hoping for some shots of him not in the suit.... :cwink:

After seeing the CC footage, there's no doubt in my mind. This is the best live-action Superman costume EVER.

At first, I didn't like the Amazing Spider-man costume but in the movie it looks amazing. So...maybe this is going to happen to people who doesn't like this suit.

I think it looks fantastic. Great colors, materials, a wonderful cape, great boots, and the whole suit looks just regal, alien and "lived in" enough. Great, throwback S-shield, too.

I fail to see how the eye being drawn to his crotch with red trunks would be any better than the eye being drawn to his crotch without them. And I don't think WB will care if people's eyes are drawn to Henry Cavill's crotch anyway.

The only part of the suit I don't quite get are the weird, curved stripes/moldings on the legs. And even then I understand their purpose. They're basically there to draw the eye away from his crotch. The entire design swoops up and away and down and away from his crotch, and highlights the less obvious musculature.

What part of this suit looks like armor? If anything it looks like a skintight textured material.

well, for starters, there is more to Superman than his crotch... so i would hope Warner Bros understands that, because Superman is not popular simply because of his sex appeal...

and on the armor topic, have you ever seen a picture of medieval chainmail armor? google it, and hopefully you'll understand what i'm talking about

After seeing the CC footage, there's no doubt in my mind. This is the best live-action Superman costume EVER.

personally, i still say the Reeve costume is the best live-action suit we have seen, not because of the colors used or the materials used, but because it stayed true to the original elements of the Superman costume

Meh, it was great for its time. I really think this one is much better. Have you seen the CC footage? I really love how vibrant the costume looks. At least they got the colors right.

i have seen the CC footage, and I am very happy they got the colors right this time... that is one of the things that i am very, VERY happy about concerning this new suit. it's not extremely bright (like the STM suit was) and it's not terribly dark and off-color (like the SR suit was)... it's a very decent medium, and i can enjoy a Superman suit that looks different in design and yet still has a decent red and blue without being so bright it would light up the sky...

the chainmail is simply a small nitpick of mine- however, the lack of red in the mid-section of the suit is the biggest problem IMO

Yeah, IDK WTF Singer was thinking with the SR costume. He was never that good with superhero costumes anyways.

Yeah, IDK WTF Singer was thinking with the SR costume. He was never that good with superhero costumes anyways.

I liked the Returns costume, it is the "classic" look w/ an "updated" touch.

I really love knowing I'm not the only one who hated that costume.

Last edited:
I really love knowing I'm not the only one who hated that costume.

LOL...you know you are not alone in that.

I never hated it, but I always thought the briefs looked...weird and the \S/ was too small. Though in hindsight that may be been because BR was leaner.

Anyway, I don't think this suit is bad. My only real concern is if there is ever a cartoon developed with this suit in mind then Supes will not be as distinguishable.

There have been a lot of manips with the new suit in cartoon mode.
man_of_steel_superman_by_alejit0-d54wm8v.jpg

^^WOW

I am always amazed at some of the stuff I see on the HYPE. That doesn't look too bad, but the colors would need to be brighter. I also think that yellow circle needs an emblem. Not bad though...not bad at all.

Still think it would have to be tweaked with more yellow though

My fav suit was Dean Cain's. The worst thing about Brandon's suit were the trunks themselves, they looked like low rise bikini underwear. I honestly don't know what they were thinking comic up with that. Also a lot of people have complained about the cape looking like a shower curtain.
In the CC trailer I will say the cape looks freakin awesome! That alone made me love the suit despite not having the best glimpse of it. The only thing that seemed off to me was the material on the boots.

I hope it's something more unique than just having it under his clothes. The shirt rip never really appealed to me anyway..

I always thought that was a pretty iconic image of Superman - he is literally tearing away the costume of Clark Kent to reveal his true self. Must have this in the movie at least once, also would like to see some sort of nod to the telephone booth transformation idea - maybe just have an old telephone boothe randomly (and anachronistically) in the shot the first time he runs off to switch into the costume but not actually have him use it.

also thinking that based on how strange the material looks, and the fact that in the comic-con video i saw it looked like papa kent was holding a small object with the pentagonal 'S' logo - maybe the suit is based off of what his ancestors wore on krypton - something sent with him in the pod he arrives in. maybe the 'S' is some kind of seal from krypton that has a meaning we will learn about as the movie progresses (maybe from Jor-El in the FoS or from Zod while they battle)

gotta be honest, not as much into the superman comics as i am other CBM franchises (really big fan of the movies though, particularly Superman II) so I'm not sure if snyder will have anything to pull from the comics in terms of inspiration here. does anyone know if the 'S' symbol has a kryptonian meaning in any of the comic books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"