"It's Like Smallville, but with Wonder Woman!"

Hope it's only similar to Smallville in the whole 'Origin story' angle.

Two reasons this doesn't bother me:

1. Heinberg, unlike David E. Kelley (or Millar and Gough, for that matter), actually has comics experience.
2. Unlike the pilot last year, this won't step on a possible film's toes, should WB still be interested in making a film (and they ****ing should :o). This is an origin story, whereas Kelley's pilot had what appeared to be a fairly fully-formed WW.

And a third, for good measure:
3. Unlike the ****ing Graysons, there is actually viable origins material here.

I'm not saying it'll be great, but to really baselessly dismiss it isn't cool. There could be potential here.

I'd be more excited if this would tie into Arrow.

Don't count Wonder Woman out of television running. I can see something similar to the comic storyline, Odyssey, by J. Michael Straczynski. I had a feeling that if Wonder Woman were to be developed into a TV show that it would be similar to Smallville, except we may see tights, but no flights. Will all of the series take place in Themiscyra or in Man's World?

Two reasons this doesn't bother me:

1. Heinberg, unlike David E. Kelley (or Millar and Gough, for that matter), actually has comics experience.
2. Unlike the pilot last year, this won't step on a possible film's toes, should WB still be interested in making a film (and they ****ing should :o). This is an origin story, whereas Kelley's pilot had what appeared to be a fairly fully-formed WW.

And a third, for good measure:
3. Unlike the ****ing Graysons, there is actually viable origins material here.

I'm not saying it'll be great, but to really baselessly dismiss it isn't cool. There could be potential here.

This :highfive:

If this new Wonder Woman can make it to both pilot and series stage, then DC and WB would have things going for them on the television front in addition to animation. The upcoming Superman: Man of Steel movie is coming out next year and we the upcoming Batgirl: Spoiled web series in the works.

Last edited:
If this new Wonder Woman can make it to both pilot and series stage, then DC and WB would have things going for them on the television front in addition to animation. The upcoming Superman: Man of Steel movie is coming out next week and we the upcoming Batgirl: Spoiled web series in the works.

I assume you mean next year. Plus I'm fairly sure that Batgirl series has nothing to do with WB, and will be awful.

As I've been saying since I found out...I'm happy television is still interested in WW.

So far, all I've heard, I've been OK with...if it gets the greenlight...I'm just waiting to see who they cast as Diana and what the plot will be...that'll decide whether the show runs a few seasons or a season.

But if they really want to get the viewers...because they're going with an origin story....we should see Themyscira, in all it's beauty and amazoniage, and the gods.

I really feel, if this gets picked up...in homage to the one who set the tone...Lynda Carter should be cast as Hippolyta.

When the Wonder Woman show was first announced this was what i was expecting.
Call it Amazon or Amazons, or something like that

The article says it's got the working title "Amazon".

So there'll be 10 years of her using her powers in secret,not having a costume,being dubbed with a stupid sounding name by the press,and finally have her head CGI'd on a costumed double during the last 15 minutes of the series final?

Sounds good. And its by someone who wrote the character before. While his run wasn't perfect it was entertaining enough.

Now just use the current JL WW story mixed with animated movie WW story and you have a great jumping on point for the show.

I assume you mean next year. Plus I'm fairly sure that Batgirl series has nothing to do with WB, and will be awful.

I just fixed it. So we have no bracelets and no tiara. I wonder if the costume is going to be like the one from Odyssey.

Did it say no bracelets? That's part of her costume or no costume.

will they stop this already WW is the most iconic super hero to not get a movie

she deserves a film and has been around for like 70+ years yet is relegated to tv even tho she is very cinematic

will they stop this already WW is the most iconic super hero to not get a movie

she deserves a film and has been around for like 70+ years yet is relegated to tv even tho she is very cinematic

Like I said before, I think this will stand much less of a chance of cancelling out any potential film than David E. Kelley's WW would. This is an origin story. If Smallville and Superman Returns could co-exist, then as far as I'm concerned, so should this series and a feature film.

Like what I see so far, it does have potential. And potential to crack the lineup.

Gossip Girl ends in December, 90210 has bad declining numbers even for their network and I don't see it lasting until next fall. There could be four hours open on the schedule, perhaps six if they continue having shorter seasons for some.

So it has a good chance, the other shows The CW has in development are a Sleepy Hallow adaption, a Battle Royale adaptation called The Selection and a young lawyers show.

Predicting this is in large part inspired by ARROW and if that does well, I'm seeing the jump starting AMAZON.

:(

I don't want to see a low-budget, teen soap-oriented Wonder Woman. WW more than any other currently cinematically-untapped superhero, imo, deserves a blockbuster tent-pole movie. The only way I could get excited about a TV show is if it were on a network that could give it the budget it would need to do the Greek mythology elements justice. The CW is not that network. Nor is it the network that would even TRY to make the WW show I want to see in the first place.

Last edited:
I'd say with CW it is in smarter hands. Would it be cool to see a film? Yes. But, CW despite having some kick ash male shows is a very female dominated channel with those who know programming that girls evidently like. Add to that, they know superhero level action that guys like. I think it has potential for a long life.

That said, having this be an out-and-out origin story would be beyond words terrible. HOWEVER having a pilot in his early twenties crash land and find an attractive 17/18 year old girl he is into and brings her back and we see the evolution of her character... which would span beyond the costume... that shows would work and appeal to it's core demographic. PLUS? I foresee a larger DC connective universe possibly between AMAZON and ARROW which would put DC more on the map for its other properties.

I'd say with CW it is in smarter hands. Would it be cool to see a film? Yes. But, CW despite having some kick ash male shows is a very female dominated channel with those who know programming that girls evidently like. Add to that, they know superhero level action that guys like. I think it has potential for a long life.
Except I think most - no - ALL CW shows are guilty pleasures at best. Smallville and Supernatural included (though SPN is the best of the bunch that I've seen), and Arrow, while I'm looking forward to it, still looks to fall into that vein. They just don't have the budgets to hire the talent they'd need to create anything greater (none of the broadcast networks do, honestly, but CW is the worst), and their target demo doesn't help either. Wonder Woman, after such a long absence from the film/tv scene, deserves so much better than a CW-level TV show, imo. She belongs with Supes and Batman in the blockbuster arena (and yes, I'd be feeling the same way about Superman if Smallville was the only screen-incarnation of the character we'd had over the last couple decades).

Last edited:
Guess that depends on people looking at it...

To me SUPERNATURAL and SMALLVILLE weren't/aren't guilty pleasures. I love those shows because of their originality and the actors behind them are talented. Hell, Michael Rosenbaum is STILL the number one Lex Luthor to me and the ONLY actor who got it right - he even incorporated the wit of the other portrayals and still he is leagues scarier. Primetime? I watch very few shows because it all seems like the same corporate crap year after year staying around while the true good shows are cancelled before they can even find their demographic. To me -- it's a blessing when primetime allows a good show that strays from the norms to stay around. Mostly? I just stick to 'broadcast television' and Showtime for more power to the creators TV.

Broadcast network shows have GREATER lee-way for originality, screw budget if that means possibly having to sell out in the process. ABC showed us what a corporate primetime Wonder Woman show would look like and it would be the same for ANY of the primetime channels. CW doesn't have those same ball and chains nor do the broadcast networks.

Enough rambling now about how primetime network studios are beyond words scary at times. Albeit, NBC is the worse (they're kind of my TV "stay away" zone that Fox used to be for me).

-----

As to film? The other superheroes are seen as more lucrative at the time because every other female hero movie usually doesn't do well. The scripts for these Wonder Woman films? They were all VERY independent thinking with VERY low budgets (not even SHOWING the island!). And the one good script they had? Whedon's? They PASSED on - probably because it would cost too much to make. Now saying a TV series DOES come out and DOES get good ratings? What will that mean for the film world? It will show that the interest is there if it catches on PLUS it will make a good film possible - it will bring back faith to the property for those involved and they won't do the sub-standard indie ones which aren't a good idea.

Now you can either have Wonder Woman, leading into re-establishing faith in the property and a good film with the budget it deserves. Or, screw it, a really independent minded film due to a lack of trust in the property leading into a disastrous Wonder Woman film just because you'd rather see it on a 'big screen' sooner rather than later. Take this from somebody who has seen most drafts of the script over the last couple of years. THIS? Is WAY better than the alternative - a corporate ball-and-chain version of Wonder Woman, an indie passes over the good stuff version of Wonder Woman, or a broadcast network TV version of Wonder Woman with a station DC is known for it's properties and allowing them free range of the mythos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"