"It's Like Smallville, but with Wonder Woman!"

CW is a fine enough network for a WW TV show. Not as if every show is terrible. They also should have a big enough budget to keep her mythology.

People said the same thing about WB back in the day and it brought us Buffy / angel which had enough special effects.

It all depends who is working on the show.

:(

I don't want to see a low-budget, teen soap-oriented Wonder Woman. WW more than any other currently cinematically-untapped superhero, imo, deserves a blockbuster tent-pole movie. The only way I could get excited about a TV show is if it were on a network that could give it the budget it would need to do the Greek mythology elements justice. The CW is not that network. Nor is it the network that would even TRY to make the WW show I want to see in the first place.

I agree that she deserves a movie, and that she's getting a movie. But she deserves a TV show as well, as Superman has had many times, even concurrently with film. This doesn't in any way hamper the non-plans that WB has for her film, if anyting, as an origin story aimed at people who don't know anything about Wonder Woman, it probably helps them.

And then there that little issue of: it's this or nothing. And despite how much she as a character deserves, she's in a bad position commercially and no one wants to sink 200M into her franchise. This is the stepping stone that Batman and Superman have been taking to get where they are and WW took the step 40 years ago and then fell off. Now it's time to start from scratch (as far as commercial appeal/familiarity) again. Green Lantern skipped this step... look where he ended up. Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Iron Man, all took the TV step. Yeah, Thor and Captain America got around it riding Iron Man's coattails, but WW doesn't have that luxury, because she doesn't work on Batman and Superman's coattails.

And while Smallville had a lot of weaknesses, one thing it did extremely well was re-introduce the character in a relatable lovable and sometimes outright clever way to millions of viewers. There was soap stuff, as on any drama, and there wasn't much action on the TV budget, and there was a lot of stretch to turn a six year story into a ten year one, and accommodate the actor's refusal to ever be Superman (hint: make sure this actress doesn't have that aversion) but the heart of the character, and how they became who they were, came across. That's something that most people, even people who read her every month, haven't ever seen.

Except I think most - no - ALL CW shows are guilty pleasures at best. Smallville and Supernatural included (though SPN is the best of the bunch that I've seen), and Arrow, while I'm looking forward to it, still looks to fall into that vein. They just don't have the budgets to hire the talent they'd need to create anything greater (none of the broadcast networks do, honestly, but CW is the worst), and their target demo doesn't help either. Wonder Woman, after such a long absence from the film/tv scene, deserves so much better than a CW-level TV show, imo. She belongs with Supes and Batman in the blockbuster arena (and yes, I'd be feeling the same way about Superman if Smallville was the only screen-incarnation of the character we'd had over the last couple decades).

A WW film has been in development hell for decades its a tough character to bring to the big screen. There have been so many people attached to a WW project including Joss Whedon. There is also the fact that no matter how much of a icon the princess is, she is a huge risk because even on the comic book level she has never been the draw that Supes and Bats have been. If TV is the only other medium to see WW continuously then I say let it be.

Smallville but with Wonder Woman

So is the show going to take place only on the Island with the Amazons ? It focuses on Diana training & growing up etc & then the show ends with Steve crashing & Diana puts on the Suit & then leaves with Steve ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hera why have you foresaken me!!!!

On the plus side, I smell Wonder Woman section. :awesome:

If it's like Smallville, then think of Themyscira as Smallville. She'll be making frequent trips to Man's World, her "Metropolis" and by season 6 she'll live there permanently. Still won't be called Wonder Woman though, but she'll be running around in an Amazon outfit without the symbol... heh.

Will she be called the 'GLAMAZON BLUR' ?!?!?!?

As much as I love (well, for the most part at least) Smallville, if they're going to give this the SV treatment, they better come up with an effective roadmap for the series... not "He suits up and flies 10 years from now... anything goes until then!!!"

I agree that she deserves a movie, and that she's getting a movie. But she deserves a TV show as well, as Superman has had many times, even concurrently with film. This doesn't in any way hamper the non-plans that WB has for her film, if anyting, as an origin story aimed at people who don't know anything about Wonder Woman, it probably helps them.

And then there that little issue of: it's this or nothing. And despite how much she as a character deserves, she's in a bad position commercially and no one wants to sink 200M into her franchise. This is the stepping stone that Batman and Superman have been taking to get where they are and WW took the step 40 years ago and then fell off. Now it's time to start from scratch (as far as commercial appeal/familiarity) again. Green Lantern skipped this step... look where he ended up. Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Iron Man, all took the TV step. Yeah, Thor and Captain America got around it riding Iron Man's coattails, but WW doesn't have that luxury, because she doesn't work on Batman and Superman's coattails.

And while Smallville had a lot of weaknesses, one thing it did extremely well was re-introduce the character in a relatable lovable and sometimes outright clever way to millions of viewers. There was soap stuff, as on any drama, and there wasn't much action on the TV budget, and there was a lot of stretch to turn a six year story into a ten year one, and accommodate the actor's refusal to ever be Superman (hint: make sure this actress doesn't have that aversion) but the heart of the character, and how they became who they were, came across. That's something that most people, even people who read her every month, haven't ever seen.
You're just re-affirming all the things that made me post :( in the first place. "This doesn't hamper their non-plans for a movie," "it's this or nothing," and "Smallville wasn't all bad" in no way give me a reason to be happy or excited about this news. It sounds as though WB has just resigned and said, "screw it, we'll never get a movie off the ground, so let's just do a low-budget show so we can make it seem like we care about this character at all." I just want SIGN that WB has faith in the epicness and potential of WW, and a CW TV show from a guy whose best-known credits are The OC and Grey's Anatomy? Well, that's pretty much a sign of the opposite, imo.

I want the Greek mythology. I want a WW story at least as epic as the '09 animated movie. And that can't be done well (so most likely won't even be attempted) on a CW budget, so I already know this isn't gonna be the WW I've waited ages to see. So again, I say :(.

Last edited:
One thing, dude or chick, "let's just dump all our finances into this show to appease fans" is NOT how a studio thinks. If a studio has no interest? Guess what - THEY WOULDN'T MAKE A SHOW! You don't make things to "appease" the fans. These guys? Most of them? Just care about the money and bottom buck. If they think WW has no potential of that buck, well she wouldn't get ANYTHING. "So we can make it seem like we care about this character at all" -- this is one thing that would NEVER leave a studio executive's mouth. Ever. None of them think that way and I know a lot of them.

And as I said the film YOU want? CAN NOT be done without re-establishing faith in the character. There was only ONE draft of the film you proposed and they PASSED on it because it was most likely too expensive for a female hero since female heroes usually spell box office disaster. The rest of the drafts? The ones after? Never showed the island ---- at all. Which shows how little money those films would have gotten and to me the money is what stopped Whedon's draft.

Supernatural season 5 was basically Paradise Lost on TV. Budget schmudget, Greek mythology stays intact. I'll bet on that. :up:

Wasn't Steve Trevor the 1st man she ever saw? So does this mean that the show will be nothing by Women? No men? Just Diana in training for the whole show?

Wasn't Steve Trevor the 1st man she ever saw? So does this mean that the show will be nothing by Women? No men? Just Diana in training for the whole show?

That's her origin.

Plus, the island? Would be way too expensive.

By origin they are talking about from when Steve Trevor finds her. I'm betting they'll make her younger. I said 17/18 before, but 19/20 possible too. Gives her more room to grow. Those are seen as the really learning curve years. We'll see the island probably in flashbacks in the pilot and rarely after that. We'll never see it in full - just rooms within it that can be done easily. Reason being from what I've read/seen in the drafts the island is one of the most budget effective areas and except for one script over the past couple of years - it was completely left out and skipped over.

Basically she'll be learning about our world, questioning what her place is in it, and on the roads to becoming a superhero. Basically the costume doesn't make her Wonder Woman (they didn't say no tights) - it's who she is underneath the costume and strength she has and we all know. If that makes sense?

Just the show being about her time on the island? Would be too expensive. Expect more of an ARROW handling of it, but with less focus on seeing it.

Last edited:
You're just re-affirming all the things that made me post :( in the first place. "This doesn't hamper their non-plans for a movie," "it's this or nothing," and "Smallville wasn't all bad" in no way give me a reason to be happy or excited about this news. It sounds as though WB has just resigned and said, "screw it, we'll never get a movie off the ground, so let's just do a low-budget show so we can make it seem like we care about this character at all." I just want SIGN that WB has faith in the epicness and potential of WW, and a CW TV show from a guy whose best-known credits are The OC and Grey's Anatomy? Well, that's pretty much a sign of the opposite, imo.

I want the Greek mythology. I want a WW story at least as epic as the '09 animated movie. And that can't be done well (so most likely won't even be attempted) on a CW budget, so I already know this isn't gonna be the WW I've waited ages to see. So again, I say :(.

I think you're reading it wrong. They're taking WW through the steps necessary to have a successful movie (and product line, and overall media presence). We don't know what their motivations are, but to conclude that they feel there will never be a movie isn't fair. They may have just come to the reality that a big budget Wonder Woman movie at this time would fail. We can argue whether that's true or not, but it certainly isn't outside of their likely perceptions, eh? So what should they do? Make a big (or medium) budget movie anyway, or build the character up like all the other successful characters have been built up. "Lets get women the right to vote before we worry about getting them equal pay. - Oh, they can vote now? Okay, now let's work on equal pay." It doesn't matter how deserved something is, there's still a process to get there, a process that WW also deserves to go through, incidentally.

As much as I love (well, for the most part at least) Smallville, if they're going to give this the SV treatment, they better come up with an effective roadmap for the series... not "He suits up and flies 10 years from now... anything goes until then!!!"

Agreed. That was Smallville's greatest weakness, the meandering, the wheel-spinning, the sidetracks into witch legacy storylines - I think (hope?) they've learned their lesson. I hope they have. If they want to have a ten year plan, fine, but they need to keep advancing the story every year.

Last edited:
Cosmic, as I've already stated -- there was never a perception of a big budget Wonder Woman reality. That was real to only fans, but in reality? There was no such script past Whedon's. Whedon's I'd say is 200 mil + budget, while all the rest were 120 mil and under range. As I said, they completely started to focus on - it seemed like - how cheap can we make this to catch a quick buck with a DC property?

This show being her ORIGINS and the fact that the island will most likely be seen albeit scarcely is a big leap forward in thinking for them and shows that they are more interested in a potential big budget film. Just that was one thing that always irked me about the scripts after Whedon's - they entirely jumped over that and focused less on greek mythology and more on typical genre fare from script to script. So the island thing, albeit small, just really stands out to me as a major shift in thinking for some reason.

As odd as it sounds -- to me the fact that this series is her ORIGINS -- shows that they're finally thinking one the right track again.

I think if they can have Xeno wear a costume like that all the show, they could have Diana wear some sort of Amazon warrior armor in the series at times. And have it not look silly, and not like a swim suit.

One thing, dude or chick, "let's just dump all our finances into this show to appease fans" is NOT how a studio thinks. If a studio has no interest? Guess what - THEY WOULDN'T MAKE A SHOW! You don't make things to "appease" the fans. These guys? Most of them? Just care about the money and bottom buck. If they think WW has no potential of that buck, well she wouldn't get ANYTHING. "So we can make it seem like we care about this character at all" -- this is one thing that would NEVER leave a studio executive's mouth. Ever. None of them think that way and I know a lot of them.
My "care about the character" comment meant "milk money from the character's fans." Because that's what they're doing. They think WW only appeals to fans, so they're making minimum effort to make a little profit from them. If they thought she'd appeal to a wider audience, they'd GO for a wider audience than the CW's embarrassingly small niche crowd.

And as I said the film YOU want? CAN NOT be done without re-establishing faith in the character. There was only ONE draft of the film you proposed and they PASSED on it because it was most likely too expensive for a female hero since female heroes usually spell box office disaster. The rest of the drafts? The ones after? Never showed the island ---- at all. Which shows how little money those films would have gotten and to me the money is what stopped Whedon's draft.
The whole point is, female heroes spell box office disaster because they've only made crappy, half-assed movies for them. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Make half-assed attempts, get unimpressive results. It would just take ONE good, epic movie about a female superhero to change the game (and that perception), if some studio would have the balls to make it. Wonder Woman, of all of the female superheroes in existence, had the greatest shot at BEING that character, but WB is clearly too chickens*** to see it.

This show isn't about "renewing faith in the character." The chances of a CW show from this creator renewing anyone's faith in anything other than "Wonder Woman fans will watch anything with Wonder Woman in it" doesn't seem too likely at the moment, imo.

Last edited:
I think you're reading it wrong. They're taking WW through the steps necessary to have a successful movie (and product line, and overall media presence). We don't know what their motivations are, but to conclude that they feel there will never be a movie isn't fair. They may have just come to the reality that a big budget Wonder Woman movie at this time would fail. We can argue whether that's true or not, but it certainly isn't outside of their likely perceptions, eh? So what should they do? Make a big (or medium) budget movie anyway, or build the character up like all the other successful characters have been built up. "Lets get women the right to vote before we worry about getting them equal pay. - Oh, they can vote now? Okay, now let's work on equal pay." It doesn't matter how deserved something is, there's still a process to get there, a process that WW also deserves to go through, incidentally.
This is a nice, optimistic viewpoint. Only time will tell whether its more hopeful or naive (the latter being what I'm leaning toward, sadly), but I like it.

Still doesn't get me excited about this show, though. :oldrazz:

CW is the strongest network on TV with superhero properties. They originally entrusted it with primetime and what they got was a crappy corporate version, they same they would have got from any of the primetime channels because it played it safe.

This news has come to light just behind ARROW premiering on the CW. What does this show? In all likelihood ARROW has been met with strong critical approval and a very high test audience screening. The CW was able to hit a home run with not only one of their superheroes with Superman for TEN YEARS (the longest running Superman show in existence), but has just done the same for the Green Arrow. So, hmm, business-wise I'd saddle it up with a network that has done great for the heroes rather than a whole different broadcast network (which DO turn out better shows on average than the primetime stations which typically just have clones of their own shows on).

Also a character who they think will ONLY target her fans and no one else? Well, that's bad business immediately. Fans are not that much. I knows fans want to go "yes we are, we're the masses!" WRONG! The masses are the masses and they are general audiences whose only recollection of Wonder Woman - if at all - is that old TV show back in the day. Basically, Green Arrow makes a lot more business-sense in that he's a lot like Batman to general viewers and therefore an easier sell.

I will say that WB is too chicken**** to see it, hell, I'm the one who has been saying that and has given actual evidence to back that up. HOWEVER, with that said - if they didn't have any interest in it or didn't think it could make money (believe me, fans aren't much) - they wouldn't be making it. As said, it's a lot harder of sell now than Green Arrow even and in COMICS WW is known more!

You're coming from the perspective of a fan who's angry that a movie isn't being made and wants to believe a studio makes a move... just for the hell of it. Not seeing potential in it is - not seeing potential in it. And all these other drafts WERE the quick-buck version. I can't exactly call them chicken**** because the numbers are speaking against their favor, it is a business.

In film? Yes, they don't see any potential really. It seems like they are looking for a network that may have success with igniting people's interest in it. So far the CW is the station that has done that and is obviously looking to do that again with Arrow (if it was another Aquaman, yeah -- this series announcement wouldn't exist). And as said, there are many ways they could have played this and as somebody who DID see the progression of it to this? Yeah, they have come a long way.

EDIT: I would also like to add another reason why this is a smart business move and shows forward thinking on their part -- most likely Arrow and Amazon will take place in the same world and both shows may even inter-sect at various points. Basically while MARVEL has a growing film universe, DC if they continue to make wise decisions like this may have a growing television universe on their hands; as said, it's no coincidence that this news has come to light just before the premiere of 'Arrow.'

Last edited:
Caught the news earlier. First I am happy wb/dc is giving the character another shot. Let's hope it turns out better then kelly attempt. As for possible title I don't have issue on title it could always change from pre production to series if it goes to series.

Plus it has something in title to relate it to the character. Like sv did with superman related name in title. Shows don't have to just be wonder woman/green arrow/superman for folks to get its a comic book show.

As for the idea of it being origin story could work if its a bit like arrow being she is a full working in suit hero, and like sv developing her backstory/character over time.

Now I hope we see full suit, powers(invul/strength and maybe get to flying down the road). And see her comic baddies on screen. So crossing my fingers this turns out for the best.

Also tot the folks *****ing on cw demo. You have to remember dawn o cw was just looking for female demo. The new pres is trying to branch out with more male shows, genre, shows. To have nice balance of woman and male demo for network. So just cause cw of past was soap teen drama crap doesn't mean the new cw is just going to be all that not. Plus gg/90210 ending/possibly ending not much left of dawn o stuff is still going to be there.

So they have more to work with changing up network and shining a new light on how the network will be. So just cause its cw we shouldn't bash it already. When network is in flux change. And for this show we only have detail that its a origin story. That could still mean she is a hero full time just young/new to it. And who says she might have/not have costume yet. Its only in script stage.

Plus tv as much as folks might not like it is a better fit for ww. Female lead shows are still strong in ratings and do well for networks since 90s to now. Where as solo female action/etc... films don't always do so well. And studios leery of female solo stuff. Tv has better chance of lasting longer time.

Last edited:
CW is the strongest network on TV with superhero properties. They originally entrusted it with primetime and what they got was a crappy corporate version, they same they would have got from any of the primetime channels because it played it safe.

This news has come to light just behind ARROW premiering on the CW. What does this show? In all likelihood ARROW has been met with strong critical approval and a very high test audience screening. The CW was able to hit a home run with not only one of their superheroes with Superman for TEN YEARS (the longest running Superman show in existence), but has just done the same for the Green Arrow. So, hmm, business-wise I'd saddle it up with a network that has done great for the heroes rather than a whole different broadcast network (which DO turn out better shows on average than the primetime stations which typically just have clones of their own shows on).

Also a character who they think will ONLY target her fans and no one else? Well, that's bad business immediately. Fans are not that much. I knows fans want to go "yes we are, we're the masses!" WRONG! The masses are the masses and they are general audiences whose only recollection of Wonder Woman - if at all - is that old TV show back in the day. Basically, Green Arrow makes a lot more business-sense in that he's a lot like Batman to general viewers and therefore an easier sell.

I will say that WB is too chicken**** to see it, hell, I'm the one who has been saying that and has given actual evidence to back that up. HOWEVER, with that said - if they didn't have any interest in it or didn't think it could make money (believe me, fans aren't much) - they wouldn't be making it. As said, it's a lot harder of sell now than Green Arrow even and in COMICS WW is known more!

You're coming from the perspective of a fan who's angry that a movie isn't being made and wants to believe a studio makes a move... just for the hell of it. Not seeing potential in it is - not seeing potential in it. And all these other drafts WERE the quick-buck version. I can't exactly call them chicken**** because the numbers are speaking against their favor, it is a business.

In film? Yes, they don't see any potential really. It seems like they are looking for a network that may have success with igniting people's interest in it. So far the CW is the station that has done that and is obviously looking to do that again with Arrow (if it was another Aquaman, yeah -- this series announcement wouldn't exist). And as said, there are many ways they could have played this and as somebody who DID see the progression of it to this? Yeah, they have come a long way.

EDIT: I would also like to add another reason why this is a smart business move and shows forward thinking on their part -- most likely Arrow and Amazon will take place in the same world and both shows may even inter-sect at various points. Basically while MARVEL has a growing film universe, DC if they continue to make wise decisions like this may have a growing television based universe on their hands.
Of course I was exaggerating with the "only Wonder Woman fans," but the point remains. The CW audience they are going for is very specific and very niche, and WB is demonstrating that they don't believe WW would appeal to a wide audience like all the other marquee superheroes do. In other words, they're putting WW at the same level of Green Arrow, when she's actually in the top 5 most recognized and iconic superheroes in the world.

Even if all their other movie drafts were "quick buck versions," that doesn't make this any less a "quick buck version." Just one with even less risk than those.

As I said in response to Dr. Cosmic, I LIKE this notion you are presenting of this being a stepping stone to bigger things for WW...I just wish I could believe it. And if this show sucks, as most (imo) CW shows do, it could do more harm than good to the character's standing in the public consciousness.

And you're absolutely right - I am seeing this as an angry fan. I certainly won't deny that, because being a Wonder Woman fan in the midst of this "Cinematic Superhero Golden Age" sucks.

Let's get the fan casting started, Charlotte Sullivan for Diana!!!! :argh: :o

Or someone younger of course...

Hard to go casting yet when we don't have all the details on show.

I just want SIGN that WB has faith in the epicness and potential of WW, and a CW TV show from a guy whose best-known credits are The OC and Grey's Anatomy? Well, that's pretty much a sign of the opposite, imo.

If I was WB there is no way I would be investing 200 million in a property that fans can't even seem to agree on a take of the character. Look at Azzarello's current comic, its been critically praised yet you take a look at the CBR WW forums and you would think its the worst thing to happen to the character.

At least with batman and superman, heck even GL to an extent, there is more than one comic run fans in general can point to and say, here read this, whether it be year one, birthright, or secret origin. You can't do that with WW.

I do think this character has so much potential but I think they need to test the waters in other media to see if something sticks before dumping money in a movie that will probably be its one and only chance. Remember very few Comic book movies are in the elite club of cracking 200million domestic, and if you give it that budget it is doomed to fail from the start.

I think a tv show has great potential, plus if you really get into the gods like the azzarello run you have a great set of recurring villains that superman almost never had. If done right this could be a hit.

So there'll be 10 years of her using her powers in secret,not having a costume,being dubbed with a stupid sounding name by the press,and finally have her head CGI'd on a costumed double during the last 15 minutes of the series final?

BINGO!!! :doh:

Is there just a complete brain drain in hollywood?? Is there anyone with an original thought left??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"