The Wolverine Its that time again to rank the X-Men movies!

x2>xmfc>x1>tw>x3>xow

red=good ones
black=bad ones

X-Men: Days of Future Past (hopeful placement) :woot:
X-Men: First Class
X2
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I'm not expecting the film to be the best thing ever (because Simon Kinberg is the writer), but I'm hoping it will be as good as X-Men 1 and The Wolverine (minus the final act).

1. Last Stand
2. Origins
3. Xmen
4. The Wolverine
5. First Class
6. X2

I loled!

First Class
X2
The Wolverine
X1
X3 and XMOW can fight it out for the last spot

I do think it's important for me to note that X1 and X2 deserve some credit for the fact that they were made very earlier on in the rise of the superhero genre. X1 was practically THE movie to kick this era off (I'm not counting Batman, he's always been a wild card). Film-makers have had a lot of time since then to learn what works and what doesn't, so something like X1, which was starting from scratch, deserves to be looked at through that lens.

Wel...technically ..Blade was the first succesfull CB adaptation in the current CBM era IMO

Well..I suppose you can also mention the Crow. But i can't remember if that movie was succesfull or not

Wel...technically ..Blade was the first succesfull CB adaptation in the current CBM era IMO
Fair point. There's also Spawn, which, IIRC wasn't successful, but it was certainly an attempt.

I think Blade -- and to an extent Batman -- are different in that they ride the line between superhero and other genres: like Horror or Mystery. They can rely on that to help them establish their tone and style. Singer was really flying blind with X-Men on that front.

They do deserve credit for what they did to pave the way though, so please don't think I'm trying to argue. :cwink:

1) X2
2) First Class
3) X-Men
4) The Wolverine
5) Origins
6) Last Stand

3 and 4 are kind of interchangeable, though...it will probably depend on my mood.

Fair point. There's also Spawn, which, IIRC wasn't successful, but it was certainly an attempt.

I think Blade -- and to an extent Batman -- are different in that they ride the line between superhero and other genres: like Horror or Mystery. They can rely on that to help them establish their tone and style. Singer was really flying blind with X-Men on that front.

They do deserve credit for what they did to pave the way though, so please don't think I'm trying to argue. :cwink:

And the Crow-which is still my fav CB movie.

I just don't know if it was also a success at the BO. I do remember that it was a succes for all the Goths in the 90's:oldrazz:

Can't walk into a club without bumping into some Goth dressed just like Brandon lee..

But if we are talking about the 21st century and which film grossed more than 100 million at domestic box-office after the Superman/Batman films.

X-Men 1 takes the cake.

And the fact that X-Men series is still ongoing after all these years is amazing. Most of the superhero film series that came before and after X-Men are over or have been rebooted.

Blade i think opened the idea for Hollywood that a CB adaptation could be succesfull. It kinda opened the door so to speak.

Then of course X-MEN came along and blew the door off it's hinges...

Agreed, Blade always gets ignored even though it was really the first Marvel film. Plus it was successful, It deserves some credit.

As for comic book movies being a success in general, I think that belongs to Supes and Bats.

Last edited:
X2
First class
X-men
Wolverine
Last stand
Origins

I am seeing the wolverine again tomorrow and it might move up. I really don't know what to think about it yet.

Agreed, Blade always gets ignored even though it was really the first Marvel film. Plus it was successful, It deserves some credit.

Definitely. The movie also deserved credit for starting the whole techno music in action scenes and the wire-fu trend..heh

Also, I'm very glad Fox isn't trying to compete with Marvel/Disney in regards to merchandise tie-ins/toys for their new X-movies. That alone shows their focus is on a slightly older audience.

I doubt that Fox's focus on a mature audience is the reason. If you look at the Marvel 10Ks prior to the Disney purchase, Marvel retained control over movie tie-in merchandising with their film licensing partners, along with a majority split of the sales proceeds. I have no doubt Fox would love to have DOFP merchandise on the shelves next summer, but Disney/Marvel would have to agree to clear space reserved for Rocket plush toys and Groot posable figures in order to do so. They would also be required to pay Fox their split while supporting a franchise in which Marvel, by all accounts, receives a meager portion of the box office gross. So don't expect to see DOFP t- shirts for sale unless Fox and Disney/Marvel cut a deal - hopefully involving FF rights.

Definitely. The movie also deserved credit for starting the whole techno music in action scenes and the wire-fu trend..heh

I'm still waiting for a club action scene that rivals that. That intro is one of the best and sickest out there! With the electronic music scene nowadays I'd have thought we have seen another by now. Tron Legacy had a cool one.

Blade opening act is still the best opening act of any CB movie IMO

1. X2
2. The Wolverine
3. XMFC
4. X-Men

5. XMOW

6. X-Men: The Abomination.

FC and TW are neck in neck for me.

I'll agree on Blade and I love the film...but hardly anybody knew it was a comic book movie. I saw it with my dad in the theatre when I was about 10 years old. Only reason I knew it was comicbook movie was because the previous week, Blad was the guest star on the Spider-Man Saturday morning cartoon.

More people were aware X-Men was a comicbook than they were of Blade.

The Wolverine
X2
X-Men: First Class
X1
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X3

I still love X2 but The Wolverine just did everything so right.

01.) X-Men: First Class
02.) X-Men: The Last Stand
03.) X2
04.) X-Men
05.) The Wolverine
06.) X-Men Origins: Wolverine

*The only reason The Wolverine is so low is because I prefer X-Men as a group, not as solo characters, and the story they adapted isn't one of my personal favorites and I don't have the same attachment to it that many others do. I like the story, and The Wolverine was a really damned good movie, but subjectively I prefer to watch X-Men stories over Wolverine stories.

But don't let it being rated #5 fool you. I really enjoyed the movie.

As for comic book movies being a success in general, I think that belongs to Supes and Bats.

Well its not just that it got moderate success at the box-office, but as a movie, it wasn't really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"