Pokémon It's the Pokemon thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need to know which item I should give my Adamant Bewear with Fluffy.

Here's his current moveset:

Rock Tomb
Hammer Arm
Work Up
Earthquake

Also I'm debating whether or not to replace my Kommo-o (who isn't quite living up to my expectations) for my Salazzle. Good move or no?

So ive been following for a while, but quasi out of the loop for a bit... the last 2 gen games i didn't even complete, but i'm excited to (hopefully) be getting Moon for christmas.

you guys seem far more hardcore than i ever was (i never really got into IVs, traits and stats and battling stuff and whats the best way to get a fighter.. i just have always had a rotation of about 15 pokemon that I play the game through with... dropping some for new ones until the end of the game.

I was always an only child, and didn't have people to really trade or play with.. so until the age of the 3DS i always bought a game genie/shark to help me catch the ones my game couldn't have... i never had anyone to trade with, and I couldn't always get out to special events...

my goal for the games was always to "catch em all" and in the earlier games it was not only that, but level up everyone to Lv 100.

Now there's well over 700 pokemon (and pretty sure game shark/game genies) no longer exist... or work for the 3DS

so i guess with this new game coming... what's truly the best way to "catch em all"? I'm hoping to also get the XL, and i'll have 2 3ds's now... do games still trade between devices too? It looks like you store pokemon from past games in the poke bank (which the sun/moon update is in Jan) so what games are compatible with the poke bank?

basically what are the steps you take to "catch em all" and have them all available in the new game?

i know many legendaries we are just SOL on unless you have it's sister game, and many are just through special events like at gamestop... but other than that.. what's the best way to catch'em all?

If you're that dedicated to catching every pokemon, then between XY and ORAS you can catch everything from gen 1-5 (including Legendaries, excluding Mythicals), so get a copy of those 4 games. There's no National Dex in SuMo, in that the 300 odd available pokemon in the Alola Dex are the only catchable pokemon in Sun and Moon. You can't trade up and down gens, so the only way to get everything into SuMo is through pokebank, which won't be compatible with gen 7 until the January update as you said. If you're collecting between XY and ORAS pokebank is an excellent tool, and so easy to drop and drag your pokemon between cartridges. If you catch something from the gen 6 games and send them to pokebank, you'll be able to then take them out into Sun or Moon, but it's a one way transfer into the higher gen games, so they can't go from Sun back down to Omega Ruby for example. If you have any older gen games, you can still transfer up to pokebank as long as you get them into a gen 5 game first (Black and White 1 and 2). There's another app in the 3ds store called Poke Transporter, which let's you move boxed pokemon from BW/B1B2 into your pokebank, you then switch to pokebank and pull them out into your gen 6 and 7 games. But as I said, if you have the 4 gen 6 games you don't need any others. And yes, you still trade between devices; trade evolution is still (annoyingly) a thing, but if you have 2 3ds's then things will be much easier for you. There are massive online communities out there though with lots of people happy to help fill your dex and trade. The Reddit pokemon communities are really good.

(To spideboy) IV's, and EV's aren't too hard to understand, they just look complicated on paper. This isn't exactly a 1 for 1 on how they work, but a simplified version to help you understand. Not sure if you wanted to know this stuff, but just in case. Hope it helps if so. This was a simplified version though, lots of maths involved in how it actually works (well in EV's atleast).

Let's say Pokemon A has 100 in every stat, so -

HP -100
Attack - 100
Special Attack - 100
Defense - 100
Special Defense - 100
Speed - 100

-------------------------------------------NATURE------------------------------------------------------

Nature simply gives you minus 10% to one stat, and plus 10% to another, so take Adamant nature, +Atk, -S Atk.

Hp -100
Attack - 110
Special Attack -90
Defense - 100
Special Defense - 100
Speed - 100

----------------------------------------------------------IV-----------------------------------------------------------
IV's are like DNA. Every Pokemon is born with a radom dice roll inbetween 1 to 31 in each stat. So let's say Pokemon A is born with these IV's -

Hp - 12
Atk - 21
S Atk - 3
Def - 14
S Def - 17
Spd - 7

Pokemon B is the same species, has that same Adamant nature, but has different IV's. -

HP - 22
Atk - 11
S Atk - 16
Def - 2
S Def - 28
Spd - 31

So Pokemon A, despite being the same species, same nature, is 24 points slower. It's not a huge difference, but if you play competitively it can make the difference inbetween a win and a loss.

------------------------------------------------EV----------------------------------------------

EV's are Effort Values. Think of them as the effort you put in at the gym to get stronger. You can have a total of 510 EV points per Pokemon, but only 252 in one stat. Each Pokemon you fight can give you 1-2 EV points in a specific stat. Like I think Wingull gives 1 Speed EV. EV's are not permanent as you can reset them. They make a much larger difference to stats than IV's however. I'm not going to get into the math of it as I don't completely understand it myself, but it gives it's full benefit at level 100, and scales down at lower levels.

Basically EV's are what let you customize your Pokemon's stats. You want to have a fast Pokemon, go fight 252 Wingull's (there are ways to greatly speed that up), and now your Pokemon is decently faster. Want it to be tanky? Put 252 EV's into HP, 252 into Defense, and the last 4 into Special Defense. EV's are probably the most difficult part to understand, but very important if you want to get the most out of your 'Mons. No matter how you try a Magikarp may never beat a Greninja in Speed, but maximizing it with a Speed + nature, 31 in Speed IV's, and 252 in Speed EV's makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
So I've read on another forum that Assault Vest or Leftovers would work for my Bewear. I just need to avoid Special Attacking Fire-types.

(To spideboy) IV's, and EV's aren't too hard to understand, they just look complicated on paper. This isn't exactly a 1 for 1 on how they work, but a simplified version to help you understand. Not sure if you wanted to know this stuff, but just in case. Hope it helps if so. This was a simplified version though, lots of maths involved in how it actually works (well in EV's atleast).

Let's say Pokemon A has 100 in every stat, so -

HP -100
Attack - 100
Special Attack - 100
Defense - 100
Special Defense - 100
Speed - 100

-------------------------------------------NATURE------------------------------------------------------

Nature simply gives you minus 10% to one stat, and plus 10% to another, so take Adamant nature, +Atk, -S Atk.

Hp -100
Attack - 110
Special Attack -90
Defense - 100
Special Defense - 100
Speed - 100

----------------------------------------------------------IV-----------------------------------------------------------
IV's are like DNA. Every Pokemon is born with a radom dice roll inbetween 1 to 31 in each stat. So let's say Pokemon A is born with these IV's -

Hp - 12
Atk - 21
S Atk - 3
Def - 14
S Def - 17
Spd - 7

Pokemon B is the same species, has that same Adamant nature, but has different IV's. -

HP - 22
Atk - 11
S Atk - 16
Def - 2
S Def - 28
Spd - 31

So Pokemon A, despite being the same species, same nature, is 24 points slower. It's not a huge difference, but if you play competitively it can make the difference inbetween a win and a loss.

------------------------------------------------EV----------------------------------------------

EV's are Effort Values. Think of them as the effort you put in at the gym to get stronger. You can have a total of 510 EV points per Pokemon, but only 252 in one stat. Each Pokemon you fight can give you 1-2 EV points in a specific stat. Like I think Wingull gives 1 Speed EV. EV's are not permanent as you can reset them. They make a much larger difference to stats than IV's however. I'm not going to get into the math of it as I don't completely understand it myself, but it gives it's full benefit at level 100, and scales down at lower levels.

Basically EV's are what let you customize your Pokemon's stats. You want to have a fast Pokemon, go fight 252 Wingull's (there are ways to greatly speed that up), and now your Pokemon is decently faster. Want it to be tanky? Put 252 EV's into HP, 252 into Defense, and the last 4 into Special Defense. EV's are probably the most difficult part to understand, but very important if you want to get the most out of your 'Mons. No matter how you try a Magikarp may never beat a Greninja in Speed, but maximizing it with a Speed + nature, 31 in Speed IV's, and 252 in Speed EV's makes a huge difference.

lol its not that i don't necessarily understand them, its that i don't really care... I don't care to be a competitive battler.

If you're that dedicated to catching every pokemon, then between XY and ORAS you can catch everything from gen 1-5 (including Legendaries, excluding Mythicals), so get a copy of those 4 games. There's no National Dex in SuMo, in that the 300 odd available pokemon in the Alola Dex are the only catchable pokemon in Sun and Moon. You can't trade up and down gens, so the only way to get everything into SuMo is through pokebank, which won't be compatible with gen 7 until the January update as you said. If you're collecting between XY and ORAS pokebank is an excellent tool, and so easy to drop and drag your pokemon between cartridges. If you catch something from the gen 6 games and send them to pokebank, you'll be able to then take them out into Sun or Moon, but it's a one way transfer into the higher gen games, so they can't go from Sun back down to Omega Ruby for example. If you have any older gen games, you can still transfer up to pokebank as long as you get them into a gen 5 game first (Black and White 1 and 2). There's another app in the 3ds store called Poke Transporter, which let's you move boxed pokemon from BW/B1B2 into your pokebank, you then switch to pokebank and pull them out into your gen 6 and 7 games. But as I said, if you have the 4 gen 6 games you don't need any others. And yes, you still trade between devices; trade evolution is still (annoyingly) a thing, but if you have 2 3ds's then things will be much easier for you. There are massive online communities out there though with lots of people happy to help fill your dex and trade. The Reddit pokemon communities are really good.

thanks!, I have a game from every gen since red and blue, but i did skip Black and White 2, so mega evolutions are pretty new to me as well

If you have a Gen IV or Gen V game, get a DS Action Replay (basically a GameShark) and lookup PokeSav. You can basically customize your own Pokemon and import them into the game via cheats.

If you have a Gen IV or Gen V game, get a DS Action Replay (basically a GameShark) and lookup PokeSav. You can basically customize your own Pokemon and import them into the game via cheats.

so can i do that with Gen 4 and 5 and then put them in newer gen games and the pokebank while retaining everything? because that sounds perfect

looks like there's an action replay for the 3DS too, wonder if there's stuff that already works on Sun/Moon?

As long as it's something legal, you should be able to transfer it. I had an issue with Darkrai (I used a walking through walls cheat to get to New Moon Island and catch it).

I haven't used a 3DS one for XY, ORAS, or SuMo. You'll have to check out YouTube videos.

As long as it's something legal, you should be able to transfer it. I had an issue with Darkrai (I used a walking through walls cheat to get to New Moon Island and catch it).

I haven't used a 3DS one for XY, ORAS, or SuMo. You'll have to check out YouTube videos.

sounds good to me

Never used power saves, but I use an action replay for HeartGold and Black 1 and 2. Poke Transporter doesn't let me send any pokemon that I've used an AR code to encounter, but if you then breed them with Dittos and hatch from an egg, the game considers the 2nd generation pokemon as legitimate and will allow the transfer. Obviously this doesn't help with getting legendaries, but everything else is fair game.

sounds good to me

Do note that the pokemon you want to transfer into XY/ORAS/SuMo has to be in either your Black/White or Black2/White 2 game first. And in order to do that you have to reach the Transfer Lab on route 15, which is post Elite 4. I've only transferred from HeartGold to Black myself and I was already post game in HG at the time, but I'm reading that to transfer from Diamond/Pearl up to Black/White you have to have the National Dex in Diamond/Pearl first, which again is post game.

And to do the transfer you need to use 2 DS's as it works a bit like trading.

So I need to know which item I should give my Adamant Bewear with Fluffy.

Here's his current moveset:

Rock Tomb
Hammer Arm
Work Up
Earthquake

Why Rock Tomb over Rock Slide?

I beat the Elite 4 tonight. I tried before but reset because I was underleveled. I had to get most of my team to 55. I don't know if it was my team comp or theirs, but I had to rely on switching a lot and use Stealth Rocks against Acerola and Kahili. I also used Z Moves twice which I never did before. I got lucky against Kakui, I opened with Vikavolt against his Lycanroc. I was hoping to trigger Quick Claw and OHKO with a Flash Cannon. It didn't work but he missed twice with Stone Edge. I lost Vikavolt later on to Braviary but managed to hold on against the rest. His Incineroar was a threat since he had Outrage to counter my Kommo-o which was the only one that could check him.

My final team was Decidueye, Lycanroc, Vikavolt, Starmie, Salazzle, and Kommo-o. I was going to use Feraligatr instead of Starmie but needed something with Psychic and Fairy moves. I like Kommo-o more than the first time I saw him, but wish he got a stronger Fighting move like Close Combat, Superpower, Cross Chop, or even Hammer Arm.

I'm looking forward to the Bank so I can try with some of my past teams. I've changed my Y team, swapping Blaziken for Emboar so it has a Pokemon from each gen.

Last edited:
lol its not that i don't necessarily understand them, its that i don't really care... I don't care to be a competitive battler.

Ah, since it was a long post I just spoilered it to condense it down

New Pokémon GO Assets Could Point To A Possible Holiday Event. December 20, 2016 . 8:00am

The recently uncovered assets include images featuring gift boxes as well as a more festive-looking icon for the Shop.
3 comments Read >
Pokémon GO could be gearing up for a special holiday event in the near future, thanks to fans analyzing the code and graphics in a recent update. [Thanks, TheSilphRoad.]

The recently uncovered assets include images featuring gift boxes with filenames tiered from Bronze to Gold and then with Special/Great/Ultra variations. Additionally, a metadata attribute related to the gift boxes called “HasHolidayItems” has appeared in relation to the Shop.

Speaking of the Shop, a more festive-looking variation on the Shop button was discovered as well. While this is all just speculation, there are only a few days left in the holiday season, meaning, if this really is a planned event in Pokémon GO, it will have to happen relatively soon.

Pokémon GO is available for iOS and Android devices.

Read more stories about Android & iOS & Pokémon Go on Siliconera.

source: Siliconera

it'd have to pop up like... in a day or so to get on to the christmas bandwagon

Why Rock Tomb over Rock Slide?

I beat the Elite 4 tonight. I tried before but reset because I was underleveled. I had to get most of my team to 55. I don't know if it was my team comp or theirs, but I had to rely on switching a lot and use Stealth Rocks against Acerola and Kahili. I also used Z Moves twice which I never did before. I got lucky against Kakui, I opened with Vikavolt against his Lycanroc. I was hoping to trigger Quick Claw and OHKO with a Flash Cannon. It didn't work but he missed twice with Stone Edge. I lost Vikavolt later on to Braviary but managed to hold on against the rest. His Incineroar was a threat since he had Outrage to counter my Kommo-o which was the only one that could check him.

My final team was Decidueye, Lycanroc, Vikavolt, Starmie, Salazzle, and Kommo-o. I was going to use Feraligatr instead of Starmie but needed something with Psychic and Fairy moves. I like Kommo-o more than the first time I saw him, but wish he got a stronger Fighting move like Close Combat, Superpower, Cross Chop, or even Hammer Arm.

I'm looking forward to the Bank so I can try with some of my past teams. I've changed my Y team, swapping Blaziken for Emboar so it has a Pokemon from each gen.
Higher accuracy and chance to lower speed.

Higher accuracy and chance to lower speed.

Always go with higher power, especially since the accuracy difference is only 5%. Bewear has low speed and Hammer Arm will debuff it further, so it's not going to do much.

New Pokémon GO Statistics Reveal That Players Caught Over 88 Billion Pokémon Since Launch. December 21, 2016 . 9:30am

Niantic has released a new batch of statistics for Pokémon GO, revealing information on how much players have walked as well as how many Pokémon they have captured.

5 comments Read >

20161221_005601_thumb.png

Niantic has released a new batch of statistics for Pokémon GO, revealing information on how much players have walked as well as how many Pokémon they have captured.

Back in September, Niantic reported that, since Pokémon GO’s release, players had walked over 4.6 billion kilometers. Now, the new statistics show that, as of December 7th, players have walked over 8.7 billion kilometers in total, which is equal to over 200,000 trips around the earth. During all that walking, they were able to catch a massive total of 88 billion Pokémon, which Niantic says equates to capturing roughly 533 million Pocket Monsters each day.

Here’s a look at the official video detailing the statistics.

[YT]Kl2MFJ2K2l0[/YT]

Pokémon GO is available for iOS and Android devices.

Read more stories about Android & iOS & Pokémon Go on Siliconera.

source:
Siliconera

Always go with higher power, especially since the accuracy difference is only 5%. Bewear has low speed and Hammer Arm will debuff it further, so it's not going to do much.

Should I replace it with Superpower? Also I think I may replace Work Up with Bulk Up. I may go for a Trick Room team, but that may hurt my Mimikyu and Raichu.

Thanks. I see Shadow Claw is the popular move for Ghost-Type coverage, which I may replace Earthquake for since Rock Slide/Rock Tomb can be used on Fire-types such as Talonflame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"