The Force Awakens J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII - Part 3

I fixed the Youtube link. You're suppose to delete the youtube.com part. BTW, hehe, I don't think a movie like Attack of the Clones has tight pacing.

Most of the action sequences does. Even in the video, he has pointed out that Lucas was never known for his framing and pacing in the non-action scenes.

I just watched the video. We'll see. I do think that JJ is growing as a director. He was a showrunner/producer first then director. And I think his best directed film was Super 8 but it's much more subdued. With MI3, which is still my favorite of the franchise, it's still in that Bourne mode; that and it was was his first directed film so I'll give him some leeway despite some of the shaky cam.

I don't agree with the video completely but it's a decent watch.

I think with Lucas' direction, I think his work on ANH had a drive. A creative spark despite his basic framing. There was that sophistication that was lost over time, when he got to the prequels, where he was so preoccupied with what CG elements will be used per frame.

Interesting video. It articulated very well some of the issues I have with JJ's visual style. A lot of it is very busy for the sake of being busy. He's got a lot of cool tricks up his sleeve, but a lot of the time it feels like he's just throwing them together randomly to varying degrees of success. You don't always feel a sense of control. I agree with the video 100% that his strengths are colors, framing and working with the actors.

So far I think the footage in the trailers does looks very promising, and a bit more reigned in. There are still some visual elements that don't feel quite right to me, but I think he's growing a lot too and making an effort to improve, which is good.

I think Rian Johnson is really gonna crush it though.

Last edited:
That I completely disagree with. I never feel that he does “things” for the sake of it. Most of the time it really does add to the emotion, the pacing and the feel of said scene. Lucas attempted to do this with AOTC and ROTS and never really succeeded. With TPM he stayed very traditional but with the other two he attempted more modern camera techniques but never got it. The Battle of Geonosis springs to mind with attempts at shaky cam, quick zooms to give it the feel of chaos and Saving Private Ryan. With ROTS he continued some of this with some of the other battles as well.

I think JJ’s motion is actually one thing that is really needed. I’ve never felt it was for the sake of it. With ANH George was so cutting edge with using technology to make it feel like we were on a rollercoaster ride, especially with the Battle of Yavin. You followed first person going into the trench and following all of this with (for the time) very quick camera movements to give you the feeling that you were moving with everything unlike 2001 where everything was very static. Even ESB there are scenes in the asteroid field that try to give you that quick motion, following the Falcon right from behind as it goes through a canyon.

Some of my favorite shots in the trailer are the Falcon and following it doing a backwards roll in the first teaser or tracking behind it like you are on a rollercoaster as it goes forward. It gives the feeling of actually flying. Even as a teen with TPM I always felt the podracing was some of the most boring parts of the film, and as I got older it’s just because the editing and camera is so static. It did not give you the feeling of going 800 MPH.

So I would say that an interesting video but JJ seems to be continuing and pushing the tech/style of Star Wars in the way it moved forward in the past by giving that feeling of motion. Another shot that I just love is the one with Poe and Finn and the sweeping camera. It assists the feeling of adventure and emotion in my eyes and something I think JJ will nail and create that even Rian Johnson will probably emulate to some degree.

You should watch that video if if you haven't. It's very fair and not a mindless bash. It even has excerpts of JJ saying stuff in his commentaries like "I'm not sure why I shot this that way" and stuff like that. The great thing is JJ seems very open to admitting his mistakes and learning. But he clearly has leaned on tricks in the past that have a tendency to feel unearned or unmotivated. It's understandable because he was a TV showrunner first, film director second. There is naturally going to be a learning curve there. But the video articulated perfectly why I feel he has yet to make a great film.

BTW his aerial action stuff is one his strengths IMO. It all was great in Star Trek and it looks great in TFA. The video makes the point of saying that Abrams was clearly influenced by the dogfights in the OT and their use of motion, and it's one of the areas where he will likely knock it out of the park.

Last edited:
I did watch it this morning. I never said he is not growing and learning, I mean even I was the one saying that he had learned from his overuse of lens flare among other things (like the Khan debacle) he always admits to where he did things wrong. But my point being a lot of what he does is right, and with TFA I have not seen anything that felt like it did not belong in SW. I think he has the right camera moments down, a mixture of old school and static (his pan shot of Jakku in the second trailer).

However having said that, it’s clear this is probably the most personal project he has been a part of, and I think he gets what makes SW tick and as well what camera movements need to help bring it into a modern age.

However I think he has made great films, and honestly I think Rian will have more to prove. I think he will make a great film, but the question is can he make a great Star Wars film? But in terms of the spirit of what SW needs to be, there is no one better then JJ to set the tone, which again Rian and others will follow suit. But I’m sure some will try to act as if he did not.

No, you're right JJ will (re)set the tone, just like George did in '77. JJ clearly has potential as a director, that's where most of the criticism is coming from. It's not just to put him down. I believe he's got all the tricks he needs in his arsenal to take it to that next level, he just has to trim some of the fat.

The stuff on Jakku all looks phenomenal to me. I am 100% confident TFA will be my favorite JJ Abrams film by a country mile.

"Don't be a Jedi cos the galaxy will fear you. But you're meant for great things. Just don't use the Force."

I wanna see what Snyder could do with Star Wars. :o
DoYouReallyWantToHurtMe_zpslelqaun4.gif

Abrams was on Howard Stern's show this morning. There are extended clips of the interview on the Howard Stern website.

^ Cool. I thought Howard Stern retired or something. I haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Those stern clips were great haha. Always loved the stern show :up:

^ Cool. I thought Howard Stern retired or something. I haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Nah, Howard's the man and still going strong. He's the best interviewer in all of entertainment media and his interview with Abrams this morning was great, from what I heard on my way to work.

Always used to listen to stern on my way to school or work when I was on a day shift.

Any guess at what he'll do after Force Awakens? He will be an A-list Directors for a while, i hope he uses that oportunity to get some more passion projects of his off the ground, Joss Whedon had a rise like that in 2012 but after Avengers 2, it doesn't seem like he has much energy left in him. Hopefuly, Abrams won't take 3+ years off not directing anything.

JJ has repeatedly said that he doesn't want to do a reboot, remake or sequel. At lest for now. He admitted that's one of the reasons why he hesitated with Star Wars, along with his planned family vacation, but the opportunity was just too good to pass on (and his wife insisted.)

I think he's going to do something smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to direct that project Rod Sterling worked on before he died.

In other news:

JJ Abrams restoring the classic horror flick 'Phantasm' to glorious 4K!

Abrams and his team at Bad Robot have been secretly restoring Don Coscarelli's cult classic PHANTASM. You may have heard that The Force Awakens baddie Captain Phasma was named after this film, no doubt inspired by the iconic chrome sphere, but Abrams wasn't content just giving that film a nod. No sir. He put his money where his mouth was and has meticulously spearheaded a complete 4k restoration from the original camera negative, which is incredible since we've never had a flat out beautiful release (high def or otherwise) of the film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73978

Any guess at what he'll do after Force Awakens? He will be an A-list Directors for a while, i hope he uses that oportunity to get some more passion projects of his off the ground, Joss Whedon had a rise like that in 2012 but after Avengers 2, it doesn't seem like he has much energy left in him. Hopefuly, Abrams won't take 3+ years off not directing anything.

I'm still rooting for him to direct the Green Lantern Corps movie in 2020.

I think there's a reason why he hasn't done a comic book movie, or associated himself with one since Superman. Never say never, but I can't see him doing Green Lantern.

I still think he's going to do a smaller original film next, then maybe a film that's already in the works at Bad Robot, which may include an adaptation of 'Half-Life'.

The difference between Abrams and Whedon is that prior to Avengers, the only film Whedon directed was Serenity, which didn't do so well at the box office. Abrams already has a few blockbusters under his belt, but none bigger than this. Abrams does seem exhausted, but in a different way than Whedon. I don't think there was much interference from the studio at all for this, unlike Marvel. Still, even though Abrams has a hand in both the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises moving forward, I think the next movie he directs will be a smaller passion project like Super 8. Maybe even a little smaller than that.

^ Super 8 was originally supposed to be small, just a movie about the kids trying to make their movie and their relationships etc. Then Spielberg (I think) was like "there should be an alien in it" and it changed to what we got.

I kind of wish he hadn't said it, since I liked the part with the kids being kids much better than the alien part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"