The Force Awakens J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not want a young female lead. I'm sick of this trend Hollywood is riding out.

Yes there are more than 2 action movies that have been successful with a young female actress in more than a love interest role. :wow: :doh:

They had a teenaged Luke and a teenage Anakin in the previous SW films. And if they focus on the next generation then its inevitable it will involve young actors so why not a girl? It doesn't say there won't also be Skywalker/Solo/random Jedi young male leads. They might go for a variation the traditional trio Luke/Han/Leia, Harry/Ron/Hermione, Katniss/Peeta/Gale etc.

I'm surprised you are so hung up on this Ville. Personally I think that the disloyal statement was kinda childish of Abrams to make in the first place. I still don't know exactly how I feel about this news but I know that I ain't mad at him.

It is what it is, and it'll be forgotten in a few years. It's not our problem, that's JJ's. We all just want him to do a good job on Star Wars and that's the thing that matters.

Besides...Loyalty means more to samurai than a movie maker, haha.

Hunger Games will be on it's last film left by the time Star Wars rolls around. She'll also have maybe one film left on her X-contract. She'll have an open second half of the decade.

Jen is going to be so in demand in the next 10 years it wouldn't surprise me if she shy's away from big budgeted films.

Yes there are more than 2 action movies that have been successful with a young female actress in more than a love interest role. :wow: :doh:

They had a teenaged Luke and a teenage Anakin in the previous SW films. And if they focus on the next generation then its inevitable it will involve young actors so why not a girl? It doesn't say there won't also be Skywalker/Solo/random Jedi young male leads. They might go for a variation the traditional trio Luke/Han/Leia, Harry/Ron/Hermione, Katniss/Peeta/Gale etc.

I agree 100%

You know how the fanbase gets. Any movie starring anything but a white guy is automatically an *insert minority/gender here* flick.

I wouldn't mind a female Skywalker (or Solo if she's Leia's daughter) as the Anakin/Luke of the new trilogy. In fact, maybe they can invert the big three and have two females and a male.

Now hoping we get confirmation of Mark Hamil as Jedi Master Luke Skywalker as the "Obi-Wan" of the trilogy.

As a HUGE fan of Star Wars and a HUGE fan of Lost, and loved Star Trek (2009) and Super-8, I'm super excited by this news!!! :woot:

Man I didn't really think Abrams would end up doing this lol. He's a fine choice as a director for this. I also didn't think we'd find out who the director was going to be already. Interesting news if indeed is accurate. I liked his first ST movie, haven't seen Super 8 yet, but this choice is fine with me.

You know how the fanbase gets. Any movie starring anything but a white guy is automatically an *insert minority/gender here* flick.

Yeah, that's how it is. It's weird that nerds want the conventional (young, white male) while the bloggers want progression (female lead, or minority male/female, etc.). I'll tell you right now, hardcore nerds aren't the most progressive types; traditionalists but to a fault.

I feel like it aint' racist till someone makes it racist but you can't win everyone over I guess.* I just want organic choices that will make the film work, it being an Asian girl being the lead or a middle aged white male whatever.

*I will get upset if a mandate gets in the way of a casting. Like The Last Airbender, how Universal didn't want Oscar Isaac as the lead in Bourne Legacy, or how the Spanish director of the Impossible wanted Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, but we got Ewen and Naomi instead because they're more internationally appealing..

J.J is a solid choice, although i admit i'm surprised he agreed to it since he's involved with Star Trek. But hey, bring it on. He can be the first person who can say has done both :woot:. I feel kinda bad for Trek now though, i bet u ppl will be naggin JJ with that when he's promoting the new film. Hope this doesnt refuel that silly ST vs SW nonesense with some fans.

Love it! Just ease up on the lens flares.
JJStarWars_zpsf3fbd089.jpg

Hahaha! I called it in the previous thread before Thread Manager closed it down. People crying about an actor/director lying about something as if they knew them personally and were betrayed.

In most cases, the actor/director gets pushed up against a wall and is forced to lie to avoid spoilers or pissing off the studio if a deal/contract isn't finalized yet.

As I said in a past thread, I think it was in the Batboards, it really falls on the dumb **** interviewers. They know better than to ask spoilery questions, yet like idiots, they still ask them. When it comes to these things, I almost always side with the actor/director that got asked a question that didn't involve common sense.

As someone else above said, same thing happened to Marion in regards to her playing Talia. She HAD to lie because the moron asked if that's who she was playing even though he knew that was a huge spoiler and wouldn't be answered in the first place. Then in another video after the movie came out he started giving her **** about lying to hide the secret. :doh:

All I know is that he's directing and that's perfectly fine with me. I look forward to the future to see who gets cast in this film.

I do not want a young female lead. I'm sick of this trend Hollywood is riding out.

I'm sorry, but bring on the women!! It's high time females get their due in the big blockbuster flicks. I'm game for either Moretz or Fanning if they're going to go for a younger female lead. So long as the story and acting are good, I have zero problems with a younger protagonist.

Hell, Star Wars is responsible for giving the world one of the most enduring, fiercest female protagonists ever. The sequels should give us a strong (or several strong) female(s) worthy to follow in Princess Leia's footsteps.

I'm super insanely excited JJ will be taking SW on. As Star Trek 2009 is one of my Desert Island Movies, I'm hoping like hell that he'll at least have an EP credit to any future sequels following STID.

Hey, maybe Brad Bird will be game to joining the Trek franchise at some point...

Last edited:
I'm sick of male leads and love that women can lead non romantic comedies now. Sucks to be you.

Oh my lord! You have a differing opinion than me! That's unheard of!

Get off your high horse. I voiced an opinion didn't diss what you like.

The idea of Elle Fanning as the main character just doesn't excite me. Sue me. I'm all for progressiveness but I go to the theater to be entertained and I know what I want. I'm not gonna jump on the band wagon and get behind a teenage girl because it is the progressive thing to do. You want to put a grown woman in the role fine by me. That I can get behind, but child characters don't get me shaking with excitement. Moretz in Kick Ass was an exception because of the limitless potential of the rating and material, and her willingness to tackle adult material.

I'm excited to see what Abrams is going to bring. It's a safe choice, but a good choice.

Is this Chloe Moretz rumors true? I would hate to see her in this.

How about my girl Rooney Mara sounds better.

Where are these casting rumors coming from? They don't even have a finished script yet.

They might want someone young-ish for the purposes of growing into the role and subsequent films and for the character's arc. It could be easier to get across with a teenager growing into adulthood.

It's just a rumor right now, but one that keeps popping up.

In most cases, the actor/director gets pushed up against a wall and is forced to lie to avoid spoilers or pissing off the studio if a deal/contract isn't finalized yet.

Exactly. JJ was clearly going to be speculated about big time from the second this project was announced. If he denies it people think he's lying, if he says no comment it generates 1000 articles, if he says maybe the internet lights up but if they can't close the deal people feel betrayed anyway. It sucks but that's the way any negotiations work.

Why would Chloe be bad choice for the lead? But that's from Matthew Vaughn when he was being courted so that's non-news at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"