Jack Black and Eli Roth to live in The House with a Clock in its Walls

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
I remember this book fondly from childhood.

Owen Vaccaro and Kyle MacLachlan join Cate Blanchett in The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Twin Peaks star Kyle MacLachlan is set to join Cate Blanchett and Jack Black in the upcoming film The House with a Clock in Its Walls, according to Deadline. He’ll play Isaac Izard, the “sinister original owner of the house.” In addition, Variety reports that young Daddy’s Home actor Owen Vaccaro has been cast as well, in the role of the lead 10-year-old boy Lewis.

The Amblin Entertainment and Mythology Entertainment film is based on the 1973 novel of the same name by John Bellairs, and illustrated by Edward Gorey. Eli Roth will direct the film from a script from Eric Kripke.
The House with a Clock in Its Walls, which is book one of Bellairs’ Lewis Barnavlet series, is described onthe late author’s official site as follows:
Lewis had always wanted to live in a house like Uncle Jonathan’s — full of marble fireplaces and secret passageways and dozens of unused, unexplored rooms. And living with Uncle Jonathan, a real wizard, was full of fun and surprises.
But while Uncle Jonathan practiced funny and comfortable white magic, the original owner of the old house, Isaac Izard, had been an evil sorcerer. Isaac Izard had devised a plan for bringing about the end of the world. Somewhere in the walls of the house he had hidden a clock. Every night Lewis and Uncle Jonathan could hear it ticking — sometimes loud, sometimes soft — marking off the minutes until doomsday.
Lewis knew they had to find the clock before it was too late. Then he decided to dabble in a litte magic of his own, and their time almost ran out.
Kripke, Brad Fischer and James Vanderbilt will produce and William Sherak, Tracey Nyberg and Laeta Kalogridis will executive produce. Kyle MacLachlan is also known for his work in Inside Out and Blue Velvet.

636576528919643366-8_T50-_D001-00127_R.jpg
636576528933839366-8_T50-_D007-00305_R.jpg

Here are the first photos of The House with a Clock in Its Walls (in theaters Sept. 21), horror director Eli Roth's new family-friendly magical adventure that stars Jack Black as a small-town warlock and Cate Blanchett as the witch next door. (The debut trailer drops Tuesday morning.)

How the hell does Eli Roth get Cate Blanchett?!

His films are pure trash.

One man's trash. He's like an exploitation director auteur type guy.

I'm hopeful because I'm a fan of Kripke, but we'll see.

I bet this ends up being better than expected.

The combo of Roth and Black is intriguing because while tiresome in style, throw caution to the wind and go balls out.

The fact that Cate Blanchett is on board says something to me. Small budget and she always has tons of scripts to choose from

Wow, this is a weird one. Looking forward to it.

How the hell does Eli Roth get Cate Blanchett?!

That was also my reaction when I first heard about this movie. :funny: But now I'm intrigued and looking forward to this, there must have been a reason she signed up for it. She hasn't really made a major mistep since Indy 4 (and that was hardly her fault, who back then would have turned down Indy and Spielberg?) so I ultimately trust her judgement.

Sounds like we may get a trailer at some point today too, fingers crossed!

[YT]oQGA42-U0Ro[/YT]

Wow, very pleasantly surprised. This looks really good! :woot:

Cate as a witch. :ilv:

Looks like it could be fun.

This has a Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone vibe. Which is good. Ever since Philosopher's Stone, no other kid's fantasy film has really nailed that sense of childlike discovery, whimsy, and wonder.

A side note, Jack Black is slowly becoming an actor that I feel compelled to watch regardless of the film he's in.

[YT]oQGA42-U0Ro[/YT]

Wow, very pleasantly surprised. This looks really good! :woot:

Cate as a witch. :ilv:

Hard to believe Eli Roth directed this but it looks fun. They got me with those old Universal and Amblin logos.

Eli Roth directed this? Well, there goes my hopes that this will be good. On his best day he's an ok director. On his average day he's downright awful.

Hard to believe Eli Roth directed this but it looks fun. They got me with those old Universal and Amblin logos.

Looks like he is outside his comfort zone on horror films and doing action and fantasy.

I had no idea this was being made. I saw this with Ready Player One and thought it was Mary Poppins at first. Then I realized it looked way too unique to be it and pleasantly surprised to see a trailer I didn't know going in.

I love this. Even if Roth is directing but this was just a superb trailer. There aren't many movies that feel like this aimed at kids and has the opportunity to be something special.

God, I hope that kid can act.

Last edited:
Cate as a witch?
Shut up and take my money!

I had no idea this was being made. I saw this with Ready Player One and thought it was Mary Poppins at first. Then I realized it looked way too unique to be it and pleasantly surprised to see a trailer I didn't know going in.

I love this. Even if Roth is directing but this was just a superb trailer. There aren't many movies that feel like this aimed at kids and has the opportunity to be something special.

God, I hope that kid can act.

I'm going to see Ready Player One in a couple of days, I really hope I get this trailer in front too, I'm dying to see it on the big screen. If it's even semi-decent, I think this film could make good money, it seems like perfect family viewing for the Halloween season. Plus, Jack Black and Cate Blanchett are both really popular right now and will help bring in the crowds.

Whatever people think of Roth, you have to give the guy credit for attempting something like this. Some directors spend their whole directing lives doing the same old schtick over and over and never dare to leave their comfort zone, and I always presumed that Roth would be the same, so this is a very pleasant surprise. I also have to give credit to Amblin and Universal for having the balls to give this project to such a seemingly risky choice of director, I really hope it pays off for them.

the bit with the basketball had me on the floor :funny:

I basically hate Roth, but this looks awesome!

Not familiar with the book, but this reminds me of all of those great kid's movies of the 90s, Casper and all. Cool seeing this is by Amblin too, it fits right into their tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"