Jack Ryan series (Amazon Prime)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
Jack Ryan Series From Lost Vets Lands Series Order at Amazon

Already an iconic character of literature and film, Jack Ryan is now coming to television.

Amazon has given a series order to an eponymous TV project about the CIA analyst-turned-United States president who originated in Tom Clancy’s novels.

According to our sister site Deadline, the series will not be a direct adaptation of the books, but will use them as source material for a contemporary take on the character as he navigates his job as a CIA operative.

The project is co-created by Lost vets Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland, who will executive-produce alongside Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, Lindsey Springer, Andrew Form and Mace Neufeld.

Love the books, love the first three films. Yeah, I'm all over this.

I like Jack Ryan, don't love Carlton Cuse, generally can't stand Michael Bay, but I might be on board for this anyway.

Wow. That's new. Dude went all action hero-y in Benghazi though.

I will watch this simply because of John Krasinski.

‘Jack Ryan’ series with John Krasinski picked up at Amazon

A new “Jack Ryan” series starring John Krasinski has landed a series greenlight at Amazon with a 10-episode order.

Based on Tom Clancy’s iconic CIA character, the series, described as a reinvention of the classic story, hails from Carlton Cuse (“Lost,” “Bates Motel”) and Graham Roland, who shepherded the adaptation.

Don't know how I missed the John Krasinski news in the spring. The wife and I finally watched 13 Hours a few weeks ago. It was ok. It was Michael Bay doing a Ridley Scott impression. He couldn't decide between the handheld, guerrilla camerawork that he attempted or the steadycam gloss of something like The Rock. It made for a slightly uneven viewing experience. Bringing it back to John, I loved him in the movie. I'm thrilled Amazon is picking this up. Right now, there's nothing that they've done for original content to pull me away from Hulu or Netflix. If they can step up the licensed properties, that might get their studio's ball rolling.

‘Jack Ryan’: Amazon’s TV Series Is Inspired by the Harrison Ford Movies, Debuts March 2018

He also said they’re working on a “different kind of Jack Ryan,” but one who adheres to many of the same characteristics brought to life by Ford in “Patriot Games” and “Clear and Present Danger.”

“What was so great about the Harrison Ford movies was that they were about an everyman hero,” Sackheim said. “He was a guy who wasn’t a superhero. He was heroic, but he was vulnerable. He wasn’t afraid to be scared. He was a regular man and a hero.”

This description ties directly to the character Clancy first created in “The Hunt For Red October”; a man who worked as a civilian long before he accepted a job at the CIA.

“We very much lean into the notion of a guy who starts out as an analyst,” Sackheim said. “In the first episode, when we meet Jack Ryan, he’s an analyst. He kind of discovers something and gets roped into participating in the field. Little by little by little, he becomes an operative. So the first season is really following the arc of a guy learning to be a CIA agent, or what the CIA calls an operative vs. an analyst.”

The wife and I started watching The Office again (for the millionth time... we're big fans) yesterday, and it's hard to believe the transformation of Kransinski from tall, scrawny salesman, to bad-a$$, ripped Jack Ryan. Definitely can't wait.

Gotcha. Hopefully they don't take that approach with JR.

[YT]XSM20XnydvM[/YT]

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan follows an up-and-coming CIA analyst thrust into a dangerous field assignment for the first time. The series follows Ryan as he uncovers a pattern in terrorist communication that launches him into the center of a dangerous gambit with a new breed of terrorism that threatens destruction on a global scale.

[YT]fJiaYnmUw60[/YT]

Full trailer expected to be revealed over the weekend at NYCC

Jack Ryan trailer available.

Last edited:
I'll check it out. There's a lot of actors I like.

But it just looks really meh to me. A little to glossy. Wish this had a little grit to it. It looks like a CBS show except with swearing and I assume blood.

I'll still check it out though

Looks...decent. I agree it looks a bit too glossy. Still, I'll give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"