Homecoming Jacob Batalon IS Ned Leeds

Web-Head

Up, Up and Away
Reaction score
Playing Peter Parker's best friend in Spider-Man:Homecoming! Deserved his own thread.

latest

Would've been funny if it was, "Jacob Batalon IS Ganke Ned Leeds" :funny:

Either way, I'm interested to see if this change will work.

lol, should have just been Ganke Lee IS Ned Leeds :funny:

Would've been funny if it was, "Jacob Batalon IS Ganke Ned Leeds" :funny:

Either way, I'm interested to see if this change will work.

I'm torn. On one hand, I hate that they took Ganke and seem to be giving him and Peter the Miles/Ganke dynamic. But on the other hand, I remember in the Ultimate Comics (and to a lesser extent, the ill-fated TASM movies) how the dynamic of Peter having a civilian confidant worked. I'll obviously give it a chance (not like I have a choice lol), but so far I'm leaning towards dislike

I'm torn. On one hand, I hate that they took Ganke and seem to be giving him and Peter the Miles/Ganke dynamic.

Agreed.

But on the other hand, I remember in the Ultimate Comics (and to a lesser extent, the ill-fated TASM movies) how the dynamic of Peter having a civilian confidant worked.

Also agreed.

I'll obviously give it a chance (not like I have a choice lol), but so far I'm leaning towards dislike

That's fair. I'm really mixed the more I think of it and I still wish they went MJ (like Ultimate) or even someone new that IS a part of Peter's world (besides just a name) like Randy Robertson but it's still Ganke and I love Ganke so..

We'll have to see. :oldrazz:

I'm not onboard with it at all. It's soooo annoying. It was so random and unnecessary when Peter has dozens of his own friends to choose from.

Its obviously a refresh on the Osborn story, which has been played out. As a few articles haveis apointed out the name Ned Leeds is a shout out to the Goblins.

I think it could work better this way with Ned learning Pete is Spider-Man before Spider-Man battles his father. If Ned learns his father is the green goblin prior to his death, then we could have a moment where Ned asks pete to please not hurt his father. He could say he's sick, its not his fault, dont hurt him, he just needs help ect. Pete could even make a promise. He could promise Ned that he will help his father. In the end when Goblin dies this could obviously leave Ned hurt and conflicted.

Last edited:
Its obviously a refresh on the Osborn story, which has been played out. As a few articles haveis apointed out the name Ned Leeds is a shout out to the Goblins.

I think it could work better this way with Ned learning Pete is Spider-Man before Spider-Man battles his father. If Ned learns his father is the green goblin prior to his death, then we could have a moment where Ned asks pete to please not hurt his father. He could say he's sick, its not his fault, dont hurt him, he just needs help ect. In the end when Goblin dies this could obviously leave Ned hurt and conflicted.

Ned himself was Hobgoblin, not his dad..

I'm torn. On one hand, I hate that they took Ganke and seem to be giving him and Peter the Miles/Ganke dynamic. But on the other hand, I remember in the Ultimate Comics (and to a lesser extent, the ill-fated TASM movies) how the dynamic of Peter having a civilian confidant worked. I'll obviously give it a chance (not like I have a choice lol), but so far I'm leaning towards dislike
pete always had so many personal problems. In the comic to a certain extent, you could say Pete confided in the reader via thought bubbles. This helped us know what he was thinking and feeling. For a movie though, a civilian confidant gives us that. And assuming Ned Leeds is Harry Osborn rebooted, its a fresh take having him know pete is Spider-Man before Spider-Man has gone up against ned's father.

Ned himself was Hobgoblin, not his dad..

I know. Thats why I called it a shout out. Its not a literal use of that exact character.

Did the comic book version of Hobgoblin/Ned have the last name Leeds? I can't remember.

Edit.. I guess that's what google is for. Yeah his last name was Leeds.

Last edited:
Did anyone make an avatar of him wearing the Spider-Man mask?

Is he wearing a wig in the movie?

Is he wearing a wig in the movie?

I belive he is. In some of the cast's social media when they were hanging out while filming, he was bald.

It makes sense I guess, gotta make Ganke as comic accurate as possible to please the fans.....

Ned is my favorite part of the trailers, and I don't mind that they changed him. Was comic Ned a memorable character at all? No, I've read every ASM and Spec comic up to the mid 80s and he was always a really generic rival to Peter. Movie Ned is an improvement IMO. My motto is always that drastic changes t source material (within reason, that is) are acceptable if they are for the better, and this fits that criteria so far.

Ned is my favorite part of the trailers, and I don't mind that they changed him. Was comic Ned a memorable character at all? No, I've read every ASM and Spec comic up to the mid 80s and he was always a really generic rival to Peter. Movie Ned is an improvement IMO. My motto is always that drastic changes t source material (within reason, that is) are acceptable if they are for the better, and this fits that criteria so far.

No, he wasn't a super-memorable character, but he was heavily involved in a pretty memorable storyline.

How is movie Ned an improvement, and how would you know that he is at this point? What purpose does it serve to have this character be Ned Leeds?

As far as I can tell, this is one of those "in name only" scenarios, unless I missed something.

IMO, They can't really take credit for improving comic Ned because all they did for Homecoming was take his name. He's not Ned Leeds in any way at all, he's Ganke Lee. And he is a faithful adaption of that character.

To be completely honest, I don't care enough about either Ned or Ganke to mind the changes. Peter has a funny and likable best friend he can confide in. It's a new dynamic that we haven't seen in these movies (or in any Peter parker stories, really). That's why I like what i've seen of this character. You guys disagree, that's cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"