First Avenger James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes: Casting and Discussion

No, I mean the source material. The comics. Bucky was originally Captain America's kid sidekick in the early days of the Captain America series.

Yea, I misread it the first time. To many tabs open at once.

Thought you were asking "if" they did, not speculating on the "reason".

captainamericabucky.jpg

The fact that Bucky is in the film at all is nice, but it's too bad they didn't have him in costume...Bucky was supposed to be a symbol to American youth. Still, he looks the part and it seems he's going to be played up as a bad-ass.

The fact that Bucky is in the film at all is nice, but it's too bad they didn't have him in costume
In that really blurry picture he appears to be wearing blue, so maybe he wears some rendition of his costume? I mean, I wouldn't hold out for the mask and gloves or anything, but...

Yea, I misread it the first time. To many tabs open at once.

Thought you were asking "if" they did, not speculating on the "reason".

Never mind, alls well that ends well, that's what I always say.

The fact that Bucky is in the film at all is nice, but it's too bad they didn't have him in costume...Bucky was supposed to be a symbol to American youth. Still, he looks the part and it seems he's going to be played up as a bad-ass.

bucky-barnes.jpg

I think that he is in his costume in this picture. Its blue... it appears to have orange trim and... the buttoned over flap across the chest.

Pretty much what I expected. There was no chance Johnston would embrace anything even remotely close to Bucky's costume considering how ashamed he is of Cap's costume and how embarrassed he is by it, even incorporating a slam on it and by proxy, Simon and Kirby, into the movie.

Jeesus. Calm down.

^ right?

maybe johnston doesn't love the old costume, but you'd think Marvel hired him specifically to **** up their premier character, based on some of the comments around here

It seems that lapel is just a flower stem.

Damn flower stem... I thought I had proof that Bucky was wearing something fairly comic-inspired! :(

It's still a possibility. If nothing else, they had the good sense to put him in blue.

Pretty much what I expected. There was no chance Johnston would embrace anything even remotely close to Bucky's costume considering how ashamed he is of Cap's costume and how embarrassed he is by it, even incorporating a slam on it and by proxy, Simon and Kirby, into the movie.

Wait...what did I miss?

Wait...what did I miss?

Johnston said in an interview Cap's USO costume will be basically the Simon/Kirby costume and Cap will hate it. But when he goes rogue, he realizes that it is a symbol that inspires the troops, so he has Howard Stark modify the design into the more combat ready suit he wears, presumably, through the bulk of the film.

Basically, he gives Cap an intentionally silly looking version of the comic costume so it can be made fun of. I personally find this to be unnecessary, as the costume Cap wears the rest of the movie, is pretty much the comic version, just made with actual care.

I don't see how that's any more insulting than the "yellow spandex" line from X-Men. Cap's costume is pretty silly looking, but serves a purpose in that it makes him a symbol. Taking the spirit of that and making it more practical for combat just makes sense for a war zone.

I'd like an older, recast Bucky/Winter Soldier to play a major role as a villain in the Avengers. Bucky and Steve grow up together, Bucky is actually cut out for service on his own merit, unlike Steve who is created, etc...jealousy, tensions arise, they are both seemingly killed, etc....

Enter Winter Soldier in Avengers - they'd have a great dynamic and he could be a cool villain to go along with whoever else (Loki, Hulk...?)

Although that could go pretty cool places if done right, I'm wary of packing too much into the first Avengers film, lest we end up with an over-packed cluster**** of X3, or even Mortal Kombat:Annihilation proportions.

Barnes certainly has that "Shoot first,ask questions later" look working perfectly. :woot:

Hopefully in the trailer, we'll get a few more shots of Bucky in action, so we can see his full outfit. And maybe some stuff hinting at his friendship with Steve.

JAK®;19651117 said:
Basically, he gives Cap an intentionally silly looking version of the comic costume so it can be made fun of. I personally find this to be unnecessary, as the costume Cap wears the rest of the movie, is pretty much the comic version, just made with actual care.

I thought it was a clever way of getting the original costume in the film and I don't necessarily see it as a slam but rather as a salute to the old suit. In a way, the film's story is setting up Captain America as what he really was in the comic -- an entertaining "comic" inspiration to the troops. They probably had photos and posters of USO Cap for the soldiers and their families and kids back in the States. The image of USO Cap was probably widespread -- that's the Cap that became famous on War Bond ads and comic books and USO posters and cereal boxes (if they had those back in the 40s), while in "real life," the "real" Captain America was in battle wearing his real-world combat duds.
I think the whole idea of the USO suit pays respect to the idea of Captain America. The USO was a major source of entertainment, motivation and inspiration for the troops and still is and tying it to the "comic book" Cap makes sense.
I have to agree with the filmmakers that a tights wearing Cap on the battlefield would have looked a bit out of place in a modern movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"