Oh, well forget what I've said earlier, you clearly know what you're talking about.

W T F

Yeah, Avengers isn't a phenomenon. Which is why it single handedly changed the way Hollywood makes franchise movies now.

Sometimes actors know the film they're in is dog**** and when you imagine you have to spend another three months on the set of something that will damage your reputation, I can imagine they'd be pretty hard to deal with. Understandably so.

Im interested in a trilogy that movies are self contained not leaving me with a ton of questions or a rehash of a past movie like TFA

As opposed to making an almost cynically generic movie lifted from Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves/The Last Samurai... But in 3D.

Don't forget about all of his other gems from the pre TDKR days:

His Avengers/Avatar meltdown.

I don't think he realizes that people slow their roll as far as talking about the films but they sometimes leave huge residual effects. The Dark Knight had everyone clamoring for dark n gritty reboots. Avatar had every movie thereafter released in 3D. Avengers kick-started the cinematic universe craze. Because of Jurassic World and the Force Awakens we'll probably see a ton of sequels to old franchises

As opposed to making an almost cynically generic movie lifted from Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves/The Last Samurai... But in 3D.

Being "cynically generic" is something you can say about most Hollywood-movies. The new Star Wars is definitely "cynically generic" in the sense that it's so obvious it's mostly a rehash of old Star Wars-movies to satisfy people who wants to go nostalgic for a couple of hours. Innovation in story-telling is something we rarely, if ever, see in movies made to be blockbusters.

I don't buy that for an instant. You could say Fury Road is just Stagecoach, The Martian is just Castaway, Kingsman is just a Roger Moore Bond film, etc, the innovation doesn't come from the plot, it comes from the way the plot is presented, the characters, the acting, the dialogue, etc. All of the was done with the laziest, most basic presentation in Avatar. I'm no fan of The Force Awakens' story, but the characters, performances and practical effects alone put it above Avatar.

i understand making fun of Sam Worthington.

but what was wrong with Lang,Saldana,Weaver,C. C. H. Pounder? i think they gave solid if not very good performances.

its like because of Worthington and Avatar's boxoffice we will now forget how good Quaritch and Neytiri were.

like with every big movie the backlash for Force Awakens will happen. i say around 8 months. prepare yourself. Rey being a mary sue(she is. i still 100% like her and give the movie 8/10),Finn being the cliche black loud sidekick,lazy recycled story.

I don't buy that for an instant. You could say Fury Road is just Stagecoach, The Martian is just Castaway, Kingsman is just a Roger Moore Bond film, etc, the innovation doesn't come from the plot, it comes from the way the plot is presented, the characters, the acting, the dialogue, etc. All of the was done with the laziest, most basic presentation in Avatar. I'm no fan of The Force Awakens' story, but the characters, performances and practical effects alone put it above Avatar.

Dat (mostly). :up:

Every time there's an announcement in this thread, it always atracts the same kinds of argument:

"Nobody talks about Avatar anymore" and my personal favorite: "They're going to be massive failures".

I don't buy that for an instant. You could say Fury Road is just Stagecoach, The Martian is just Castaway, Kingsman is just a Roger Moore Bond film, etc, the innovation doesn't come from the plot, it comes from the way the plot is presented, the characters, the acting, the dialogue, etc. All of the was done with the laziest, most basic presentation in Avatar.

It was done in the James Cameron way, he has always made his films simple and straightforward, that's what he did with Avatar. He wasn't being cynical, he was trying to find an universal story every culture could understand equaly, in a similar way to what Star Wars did back in 1977.

All I know is Avatar 2 could make 500 million alone in China.

Avatar 1 made over 200 million there at a time when the Chinese box office was nowhere near as big or important as it is now.

In a country where FF7 is the top grossing movie of all time things like story originality will not be a concern.

Every time there's an announcement in this thread, it always atracts the same kinds of argument:

"Nobody talks about Avatar anymore" and my personal favorite: "They're going to be massive failures".

It was done in the James Cameron way, he has always made his films simple and straightforward, that's what he did with Avatar. He wasn't being cynical, he was trying to find an universal story every culture could understand equaly, in a similar way to what Star Wars did back in 1977.

I'm not one to say either of those things. But if you can't see the disparity between Avatar and the rest of his films, I don't know what to tell you.

Innovation doesn't have to come from plot, but it doesn't have to come from acting, dialogue or characters either. Avatar may have recycled an universal story, but it was told in a totally immersive, photorealistic world, the likes of which cinema had never seen before, populated by the best motion captured aliens ever, through the lens of (at the time) the most impressive stereoscopic 3D ever. It was the same old story -- indeed, there are about a handful of truly original stories -- presented in a never before seen way.

And about your comments about practical effects, Avatar wasn't trying to have them, so to say Star Wars has a leg up on it is unfair. We know what Cameron can do when he wants to have practical effects. His career speaks for itself.

There is one thing I will say about Cameron, his camera doesn't obnoxiously swing and flail about throughout the whole run time. He is classic blockbuster director. He has enough confident to let the camera be as invisible as possible and let the elements on the screen dictate interest.

God knows how many times JJ Abrams' camera went into Spider-man mode in The Force Awakens. We don't need sprawling crane shots and dutch angles to be interested.

I dunno how or why Cameron is saying that Xmas 2017 is the targeted release date when they even haven't started shooting one movie let alone all three movies. Hell no matter how you look at this, these movies are massive in terms of VFX. I dunno how far WETA has come in terms of rendering their VFX faster ( and cheaper) at higher resolutions but the first movie was so big they weren't able to do other VFX work for other movies. Even with almost a year long post.prod. schedule ILM was still asked to step in to handle some shots.

Not to mention that Cameron will be taking time filming these movies just like any other director. He is filming 3 movies back-to-back.

I fully expect the release date to be pushed back almost a year simply because of how the production on Avatar 1 went.

There is one thing I will say about Cameron, his camera doesn't obnoxiously swing and flail about throughout the whole run time. He is classic blockbuster director. He has enough confident to let the camera be as invisible as possible and let the elements on the screen dictate interest.

God knows how many times JJ Abrams' camera went into Spider-man mode in The Force Awakens. We don't need sprawling crane shots and dutch angles to be interested.

Eh. I think JJ was restraint with TFA. You could say that George Miller did the same thing with Fury Road too.

It was retrained in the JJ scale. Not in the classical action directing scale. And I would say Miller is far more judicious with his sweeping shots than JJ. He said he watched Kurosawa and Lean to prepare for Star Wars. I guess I wished he learned how to use a tripod like them too.

This talk or TFA makes me want to see it again.

Regarding the camera work of Cameron's films, i realy enjoy the classical way he shot Avatar, he realy knows how to shoot a film well.

Back to the sequels, i doubt they'll be ready tos tart being released by next year. Back in 2010 he already seemed to have an idea for what each new film would be about, but he supposedly only started work on the scripts on 2014, a process that is still ongoing, even though he had said he was expecting them to be ready in 6 weeks. 2015 is pretty much over and there still isn't anything concrete for him to show from his next films. Considering the hard process it will take to render all of those films, i wouldn't be surprised if it took till 2019 for Avatar 2 to finaly be released.

A James Cameron film I'm so immersed in the story I'm not distracted by the direction it complements the scenes so well that its not obnoxious loopy or lame.

Last edited:
Apparently recently posted by Zoe Saldana to her FB

10391565_10153413753774150_5327979625393709770_n.png

Star Wars we comin' for you *****

James Cameron is going to have to invent a way for the movie to sexually pleasure the audience for Avatar 2 to have the same success as the original.

James Cameron is going to have to invent a way for the movie to sexually pleasure the audience for Avatar 2 to have the same success as the original.

You don't even wanna know about the "5D" tech he's working on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"