W T F

Yeah, Avengers isn't a phenomenon. Which is why it single handedly changed the way Hollywood makes franchise movies now.

See a lot of these "shared universe" type properties have been announced but not one of them has actually been made in the last 3, almost 4 years since Avengers.

Because it takes time. Look at WB, in what they're doing with DC and heck, Godzilla.

And Universal as well with their monster movies.

Because it takes time. Look at WB, in what they're doing with DC and heck, Godzilla.

And Universal as well with their monster movies.

One of them has failed (Spider-Man) and two of them have tried already but failed, which means they're now having to start it all again (DC with Green Lantern and Universal Monsters with Dracula Untold). There's also that Godzilla shared universe, but i have my doubts it will realy take off either, i mean, even though it has done well at the box office and most critics have liked it, it seems like it was one of the biggest disappointments for the general public after the trailer had given so much hype. The next film will need to be realy amazing to launch this, that and the King Kong relaunch.

I think it was a pretty sizable mistake to wait so long to release these. Avatars cultural impact is already relatively small compared to most other blockbusters, he should have struck while the iron was hot. I'm not saying the sequels won't make money but I think Cameron left money on the table by waiting.

Oh, well forget what I've said earlier, you clearly know what you're talking about.

Don't forget about all of his other gems from the pre TDKR days:

His Avengers/Avatar meltdown.

Oh man :funny: someone has a chip on their shoulder.

One of them has failed (Spider-Man) and two of them have tried already but failed, which means they're now having to start it all again (DC with Green Lantern and Universal Monsters with Dracula Untold). There's also that Godzilla shared universe, but i have my doubts it will realy take off either, i mean, even though it has done well at the box office and most critics have liked it, it seems like it was one of the biggest disappointments for the general public after the trailer had given so much hype. The next film will need to be realy amazing to launch this, that and the King Kong relaunch.

Yeah the thing is that the logistics of creating universes is so expensive and they all rely on each other's success.

I think you're mistaken with Godzilla though. As far as I know, Kong: Skull Island already has references to Godzilla already, and then you got the press release that got tons of buzz. It's going to happen.

I think it was a pretty sizable mistake to wait so long to release these. Avatars cultural impact is already relatively small compared to most other blockbusters, he should have struck while the iron was hot. I'm not saying the sequels won't make money but I think Cameron left money on the table by waiting.

Oh man :funny: someone has a chip on their shoulder.

I think it's a bigger mistaken to shoot all 3 sequels back to back. He should just be patient and shoot part 2 first, then go from there.

I will say this. This is the only upcoming movie that is must see in 3D.
Good point. I never watch 3D any more but I will for this. Avatar was 3D done right but other films didn't follow the lead at all but still charged the premium.

Yes I agree, it's kind of surprising that the studio didn't want/push this more but I guess Cameron is the key factor and he wants to do things at his own pace whenever he is ready. It's not like he has to work any more lol.

I think you're mistaken with Godzilla though. As far as I know, Kong: Skull Island already has references to Godzilla already, and then you got the press release that got tons of buzz. It's going to happen.

Yep, Monarch, the organization in Godzilla 2014 is mentioned in Kong.

I'm sure the connections might happen at first, i mean, they have Godzilla 2 and Skull Island to find that out, if it's will be successful is an entirely different thing, even if both of those 2 films are able to get their budgets back and lead into Godzilla vs King Kong, i wonder how consistent their quality and box office grossings will be. If they drop the ball like they did with Godzilla, which was an ok film but disappointed most of the people who were hyped by the trailer, then i doubt it will be as successful as the studio hopes.

nice to see that Cameron's domestic BO record will fall. makes it more interesting and fun

The fact that the major discussion among fans includes "They waited too long", "No one cares anymore", and "This won't beat Star Wars" probably isn't a good sign, haha.

i think there is no way Avatar 2 is mediocre. it will be a very bad or very good movie.

Cameron will create a masterpiece or become Lucas 2.0

Last edited:
Supposedly he's only scratched the surface of the world in the first one, so we'll see.

Talk about All or Nothing thinking. Cameron's a prick but a great filmmaker. He doesn't have to prove anything.

Cameron is not lazy. he is always bringing something new to cinema

I'd be more interested if Sam Worthington wasn't part of this.

people need to rewatch Avatar. i think he was good,fine,decent in Avatar.

he was bad in Clash of Titans

i think there is no way Avatar 2 is mediocre. it will be a very bad or very good movie.

Cameron will create a masterpiece or become Lucas 2.0

I agree.

I just don't think there's an established fanbase naturally. It's not a franchise and it's becoming one. It's not like Star Wars or Batman.

This is the same thing that happened to The Matrix. It was a great singular movie and it had fans, and then out of the blue they shoved a multimedia extravaganza in our face at once. A video game, an animated film, comics, two films, exclusive Powerade, MTV specials. We went from liking a cool film to all of a sudden having to catch up on a million things in 2003.

Avatar is going to be so shoved down everyone's throats, they might reject it. Novels, toys, comics, three movies... I just don't think you can do that like you can with Star Wars.

Not comparable to the level of Cameron's success, but they tried to conjure up a franchise out of thin air with Battlefield Earth, Waterworld, etc. I see it going either way,

Considering Godzilla was one of the first "cinematic universes", I don't see a problem with them doing it again.

Considering Godzilla was one of the first "cinematic universes", I don't see a problem with them doing it again.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that. Mothra and Rodan had their own films before being introduced in the original series.

nice to see that Cameron's domestic BO record will fall. makes it more interesting and fun

Ignore me. Was looking at the wrong number. :O

The fact that the major discussion among fans includes "They waited too long", "No one cares anymore", and "This won't beat Star Wars" probably isn't a good sign, haha.

Could be worse, the only talk behind Titanic and Avatar for a time was "this is just Cameron's massive ego trip" and "this is going to be a massibe bomb". Cameron's accostumed to people doubting him.

I agree.

I just don't think there's an established fanbase naturally. It's not a franchise and it's becoming one. It's not like Star Wars or Batman.

Well, Star Wars and Batman also took a while to become extablished franchises too, without something as great as Empire Strikes Back, which unlike other sequels from that time didn't repeat the plot of the previous film, Star Wars might have ended up as "lightning in a bottle". Batman also needed some time to diferentiate from other heroes, as he pretty much started out as a mediocre Shadow rip-off. Then they started coming up with new concepts like the Joker and Robin, which was when other properties started trying to be more like it.

Avatar still has time, and Cameron himself has already created a major franchise (Terminator) and lead into a popular film become a film series with a more expanded mythology (Aliens).

This is the same thing that happened to The Matrix. It was a great singular movie and it had fans, and then out of the blue they shoved a multimedia extravaganza in our face at once. A video game, an animated film, comics, two films, exclusive Powerade, MTV specials. We went from liking a cool film to all of a sudden having to catch up on a million things in 2003.

Avatar is going to be so shoved down everyone's throats, they might reject it. Novels, toys, comics, three movies... I just don't think you can do that like you can with Star Wars.

Matrix might be a good comparison, Cameron even said he doesn't want Avatar 2 to be a Matrix Reloaded type of disapointment. But Matrix released all it's content in 2003, while Avatar films are going to only be released each year. There will be comics, but they are set to be released before that. Cameron seems to be focused mostly on making each film be an experience, while the Matrix got two films which pretty much were a single story, as well as a video game and a direct-to-dvd anthology film which had some stuff that tied in heavily together. With Avatar, each new thing is separate. Regarding games and toys, i doubt we'll see more than what was made for the first film.

I never said i had a problem with them doing it again, i said that i have doubts about it working due to the production behind it. It's the same thing with Universal Horror, i think there's almost infinite potential with what you can do with these properties, but it doesn't seem to me like the studio's present aproach is going to work all that well in the longer term.

See a lot of these "shared universe" type properties have been announced but not one of them has actually been made in the last 3, almost 4 years since Avengers.

That's a really good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"