Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I'll be pushing 40 by the time Avatar 4 is out. :wow:

Last thing you want to give Cameron is a challenge.

A million times this.

We’ve been here before. Twice.

It was a different time back in 2009/2010. As stated before, Avatar had cutting edge 3D technology and virtually no competition at the box office whatsoever. Of course it thrived. Titanic is a great film also but let's not deny that a great big chunk of its box office haul was due to fangirls seeing it for Leo over and over again. Again, it was a different time. Regardless of how I feel about his cockiness and demeanor on set, I'm not doubting Cameron's skill as a great filmmaker, but unless he has an insane trick up his sleeve like discovering the lost city of Atlantis and filming Avatar 2 there, I really can't see it reaching the same heights as the first one. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Avatar enough to buy both the regular and special edition Blu-ray releases.

You'd think Disney would wanna fast track this. I know Cameron hates so many of his babies are now owned by the mouse.

It was a different time back in 2009/2010. As stated before, Avatar had cutting edge 3D technology and virtually no competition at the box office whatsoever. Of course it thrived. Titanic is a great film also but let's not deny that a great big chunk of its box office haul was due to fangirls seeing it for Leo over and over again. Again, it was a different time. Regardless of how I feel about his cockiness and demeanor on set, I'm not doubting Cameron's skill as a great filmmaker, but unless he has an insane trick up his sleeve like discovering the lost city of Atlantis and filming Avatar 2 there, I really can't see it reaching the same heights as the first one. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Avatar enough to buy both the regular and special edition Blu-ray releases.
40?? I will be pushing 65!

I just don't see it. Avatar benefited greatly from being cutting-edge (for its time) with its use of 3D and not having any kind of box office competition for around 3 months. Studios now see January-March as good months to release blockbuster films whereas 10 years ago, it was rare to get tentpole movies there.

It's laughable how people say Avatar didn't have any competition for months. In Avatar's second weekend Sherlock Holmes opened with $62,3 million and Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 opened with $48,9 million. That's a hell of a lot more competiion than Avengers: Engame had in its second weekend.

I remember when I saw Titanic and I was surprised to see many older people in the theater. Maybe it was different in America, but in Sweden Titanic definitely wasn't big because of girls wanting to see Leo. It was becuase it attracted a lot of people who usually don't go to the movies much. Besides there are fanboys who see stuff like Avengers and Star Wars multiple times (read about someone who watched Captain Marvel 116 times) so using this as a way to somehow disparage Titanic's numbers is ridiculous

My God, another delay! I hope Disney's plan sticks around and I hope I'm still alive by 2027 to witness Avatar 5.

i am interested what is Cameron's opinion on cinematography and contrast for movie look. in the last years digital cameras got better and the contrast dynamic range has got so good that some directors think that movies should look flat. i am afraid that after all these years Cameron will experiment with this. Avatar looked like it was filmed(live action,actors on set) with a digital camera but it still looked cinematic.

Ang Lee's Gemini Man looks IMO bad. try to ignore the 60fps and notice the contrast from the digital camera.i think it looks bad. i personally like contrast and black shadows like from film cameras. oldschool.

Wonder if this latest delay would have happened if Disney hadn't bought Fox since it seems to be more of re-scheduling a lot of movies on Disney's side rather than Cameron needing more time to finish the movies

Wonder if this latest delay would have happened if Disney hadn't bought Fox since it seems to be more of re-scheduling a lot of movies on Disney's side rather than Cameron needing more time to finish the movies

I doubt it. Why put off making huge money, risk p-ing off Cameron, and getting these films on your new streaming service sooner then later? Seems like bad business all around.

Last edited:
James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ Sequels Casts Jermaine Clement

Jemaine Clement is joining the cast of James Cameron’s “Avatar” sequels. He will play marine biologist Dr. Ian Garvin.

“I’ve loved Jemaine’s work for years and I’m really pumped that he’s joining our cast as Ian Garvin, one of my favorite characters,” Cameron said in a statement.

I remember when I saw Titanic and I was surprised to see many older people in the theater. Maybe it was different in America, but in Sweden Titanic definitely wasn't big because of girls wanting to see Leo. It was becuase it attracted a lot of people who usually don't go to the movies much. Besides there are fanboys who see stuff like Avengers and Star Wars multiple times (read about someone who watched Captain Marvel 116 times) so using this as a way to somehow disparage Titanic's numbers is ridiculous

Both Titanic and Avatar were cultural events. Not simply movies but event movies that mostly everyone on planet earth had the mission to see at least once in their lifetimes

Thing is while I don't think expanding to India will help in the long run, I'm curious what Endgame's final theatrical run would be.

Consider that Infinity War didn't end its theatrical run until September. So is Disney's plan to just leave it there that long? For some reason, I don't see that happening when they've got the likes of Toy Story 4 out now and The Lion King right around the corner. More than that, there are a ton of movies out this summer. So Endgame would either come extremely short of Avatar or just barely trickle over. Right now, I lean towards the former.

I think it's a cheap trick and pathetic attempt to become the new king in order to sell it as number one for home release. It's understandable that a studio would want something like that but doing it only a couple of months later and with barely adding anything new feels pretty sad. At least Titanic and Phantom Menace played the 3D gimmick and waited more than a decade for a re-release.

Anyway, in Avatar's case there is a ten-year inflation to be considered. If they were counting ticket quantity numbers, Endgame would have to go way above the 3 billion mark in order to surpass it.

The whole thing is stupid regardless.

"A movie I like made the most money ever!"

Neat.

Too bad majority of my favorite movies barely made any money. I'm a loser.

It seems completely pointless, especially since Disney now owns the Avatar franchise.

Disney’s goal is to own everything so it always wins no matter which specific movie beats the other at the box office.

tenor.gif

Sigourney Weaver was there. a visit or is she back in human form?

edit:
so this confirms that she and Lang are back as a humans
''Live action cast read through... live action filming starts on Monday''

Either a flashback or something brings them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"