giphy.gif

Only for 2019. I think there will be more filming next year.

Avatar re-release will probably take it's record back. I'm sure it will happen before the second one comes out.

So many clickbait articles on this who didn’t even read what the man actually said.

I just want this to be great. I like the first okay but it wasn't something that got me excited like District 9 did. I was more engaged by District 9 and that surprised me in 2009.

I just want this to be great. I like the first okay but it wasn't something that got me excited like District 9 did. I was more engaged by District 9 and that surprised me in 2009.
I’m not expecting much as far as story. Hopefully the 3-d is just as immersive as the first one.

It has to deliver something story and world buliding wise this time. You have to develop these characters into ones that leave an impact now. Gimmicks are going to run out eventually and honestly the 3D phenomenon is kinda done. Avator has to gain an actual fanbase now, Titanic , Terminator, Aliens, and even True Lies has a bigger fanbase than Avator does.

Yeah I'm very very interested to see how this does in terms of quality and regarding the numbers.

I don't think people are really impressed by CG/SFX anymore. There are plenty of movies with great SFX and CG that don't do as well as some movies with crappy CG work. And that's kinda Avatar's whole schtick. The SFX.

Last edited:
I don’t think you make it to 2 billion on visual effects alone. It obviously spoke to many people on an emotional level at the time. Can Cameron repeat himself? If anybody can, it’s him. He knows the pressure.

To be honest, I’d probably prefer these sequels over Star Wars 17 or Avengers 23 at this point. One vision instead of a factory.

Not even a little chance Avatar 2 beats Endgame, imo
Too long since the first one, which hasn't held up that well, and the 3D novelty is gone...nobody cares

The re-release could do it, I just hope Disney gives preference to the movie they actually produced and doesn't do a re-release

Avatar literally has no actual fanbase and geeks are dying to obsess over anything. Even horrible B movies virtually no one saw. I'm just sayin'

He's the cinematic version of the generic video game white guy hero character

Where's the fandom around this though? That's what I don't understand about Avatar. All kinds of movies have a fan culture, yet Avatar, this space fantasy epic that used to be the biggest movie ever doesn't have fans seemingly. It makes no sense considering how pop culture functions

I don’t think you make it to 2 billion on visual effects alone. It obviously spoke to many people on an emotional level at the time. Can Cameron repeat himself? If anybody can, it’s him. He knows the pressure.

To be honest, I’d probably prefer these sequels over Star Wars 17 or Avengers 23 at this point. One vision instead of a factory.
Yeah you can make 2 billion off that when it's the primary thing you sell your movie on.

And maybe you're right it spoke to people...at the time. At a time, people thought Ja Rule was a great rapper. At a time, people liked platform shoes. People move on. And there's not any indication that Avatar has had any staying power in the GA consensus. Also, Avatar came at a time where you didn't get so many blockbusters with huge CG SFX like we have now. And it was the only major 3D film in theaters for months.

Could Cameron do it again? Maybe. I don't really care about the box office record. I don't except him to top that, but that's not a bad thing. It took 6 years to come close and that had to be be the biggest movie series of all time, at the time, to get that close. To beat it, it took 20+ films of hype/build up and 10 years. And even then Avatar is still the only original IP in the top 3 highest grossing films.

I do think Cameron could top it quality wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"