Didn't people say exactly the same thing about how the first Avatar movie wasn't going to be successful? One thing we all should know by now is never doubt Cameron.

Didn't people say exactly the same thing about how the first Avatar movie wasn't going to be successful? One thing we all should know by now is never doubt Cameron.

Until its opening weekend I honestly thought it could be one of the biggest financial bombs in movie history.

I remember none of the trailers impressed me and I thought most people felt the same.

Ever since then I've decided not to doubt JC.

Last edited:
I thought the trailers were meh but ended up loving the film, Originality isn't a factor to me because I don't need something fresh or original for every little thing as long as it's well done.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Cameron's done well twice in a row with a 12 year gap in between, but don't forget the five movies he made before Titanic that didn't set the world on fire.

Cameron's done well twice in a row with a 12 year gap in between, but don't forget the five movies he made before Titanic that didn't set the world on fire.

Terminator 2 was almost the Avengers 1 of its day. That movie was absolutely huge.

Until Avatar though he never had any really interest to pursue multiple sequels so he left the Terminator franchise to get into other things.

Terminator 2 was well and truly more than 'almost' The Avengers.

I don't see the interest with Pandora visually any longer. The 3D craze is over. It works once every few years with a film like Gravity. I guess you can do a so called Pandora Waterworld in 3D since we haven't really had a deep sea 3D epic (definitely not counting the latest Moby Dick film). Besides shots featuring space and visceral explorations of vast landscapes and terrain, 3D has come and gone. It's obviously augmented recent films like JW and Star Wars, but it's soon to be ten years post Avatar. I think people have had their 3D fill. Avatar had nothing to offer besides the 3D world exploring effect... and Sigourney Weaver.

Cameron needs to make a completely different movie. Let it be a space epic. Let it be a water world epic. Even if it's in the same universe, I don't even see how you can return to Pandora for the majority of the film. How big is that moon fictionally? How deep are the oceans? I think you do another planet and different characters to be honest. Maybe bring Jake or Saldana's character back, or a minor character just to demonstrate that it's in the same universe. I have no interest following those characters and stories.

Last edited:
Terminator 2 was well and truly more than 'almost' The Avengers.

I was referring to mainly its box office. But in terms of cultural impact I'd put it ahead.

Which is why that comment was even more off base that none of Cameron's movies had any big impacts before Titanic.

All of Cameron's films had massive impact before Titanic. For me there's a dissonance from the first lot and Titanic and Avatar that feel like a lesser storyteller made the latter ones.

See a lot of these "shared universe" type properties have been announced but not one of them has actually been made in the last 3, almost 4 years since Avengers.

Uhh, you are aware of a little movie called Batman v Superman, right? It's coming out in 3 months, and was originally meant to be released last July. That'll be followed a few months later with Suicide Squad set in the same universe. And Wonder Woman is actually in production

Fox expand their X-Men universe with Deadpool (1.5 months away) & Gambit (next Autumn)

As others have mentioned, studios have already tried and failed in the meantime. Sony with their Spider-man universe, Fox wanted to connect Fant4stic to X-Men and that.....

All of Cameron's films had massive impact before Titanic. For me there's a dissonance from the first lot and Titanic and Avatar that feel like a lesser storyteller made the latter ones.

You could say it probably started with True Lies.

I'd probably put Titanic and Avatar over True Lies, not that it was a bad film or anything though.

I don't think The Abyss and True Lies had nearly the same impact as Titanic or Avatar, if anything, Titanic is more in line with the popular and quotable Terminator 1+2 and Aliens than any of those two films when it comes to cultural impact.

You could say it probably started with True Lies.

I'd probably put Titanic and Avatar over True Lies, not that it was a bad film or anything though.

True Lies kept me far, far more engaged than those latter two did personally.

it happens every time
even with Titanic, I still remember the columns talking about the disaster on set and the financial situation the studio was in.

And then right after people are like no more doubting, then the next cameron project comes around, rinse and repeat.

And with original properties no less.
if JC wants to win the box office for sure, maybe he could offer one of these studios his services, like a big comic book cross over or maybe a star wars spinoff.

There's no way Avatar 2 at least can fail.

The film can not even be released in North America and it'll still probably make 2 billion just from overseas.

Because it takes time. Look at WB, in what they're doing with DC and heck, Godzilla.

And Universal as well with their monster movies.

DC is pretty specifically not doing the Avengers model though.

Uhh, you are aware of a little movie called Batman v Superman, right? It's coming out in 3 months, and was originally meant to be released last July. That'll be followed a few months later with Suicide Squad set in the same universe. And Wonder Woman is actually in production

Fox expand their X-Men universe with Deadpool (1.5 months away) & Gambit (next Autumn)

As others have mentioned, studios have already tried and failed in the meantime. Sony with their Spider-man universe, Fox wanted to connect Fant4stic to X-Men and that.....

Uhh are you aware that Batman V Superman isn't a cross over following independent Batman and Wonder Woman films the way the Avengers crossed over?

Everyone of JC movies have been more than enjoyable. Never doubt Cameron. Ever. He will deliver. Atleast he doesn't pump out film after film and wants to improve on how films are made.

I thought the trailers were meh but ended up loving the film, Originality isn't a factor to me because I don't need something fresh or original for every little thing as long as it's well done.

Can't wait for the sequel!

As a Cameron fan I knew it would be good and successful, I just didn't expect it to be quite as big. The guy has never made a bad movie and Avatar blew everyone out of the water at the time, never doubt the guy.

The Terminator, Terminator 2 and Aliens are considered 3 of the best movies ever made, how is that not making an impact?

True Lies and The Abyss are both considered good movies as well.

All of Cameron's movies have been hits except his very first movie (Piranha 2: The Spawning), which nobody remembers ever existed, and The Abyss.

If Avatar had (or if Avatar 2 does have) the kind of edge to it that Aliens and the 2 Terminator films had I would be going crazy for these sequels.

5xSsh4V.gif

:wow::up:

A lot of people say that Cameron has always surpassed the expectations, but he's also always been younger. On average as people get older and richer they become lazier and less effective. There are exceptions like Martin Scorcese, but that's what they are, exceptions.

With that said, I have a lot of confidence for Avatar due to his approach with screenwriting. He's taking screenwriting very seriously, unlike the vast majority of Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"