James Mangold to write/direct Boba Fett Movie

Discussion in 'Stand-Alone Movies' started by Man in the Suit, May 24, 2018.

1. TheVileOne Registered

None of that means anything to me if James Mangold makes an amazing and awesome Boba Fett movie. That surpasses everything else.

2. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Cool.

3. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Which is you avoiding the point. You attacked her, avoided her point and then went with the "best person for the job argument", ignoring that we have gone through this song and dance multiple times. And in the processes ended up with three extra directors because of this.

She said she is a fan of Mangold and that he is why she is interested. But it is rather telling that everyone involved with the future project fit a very specific demographic.

And yeah, the best person for the job argument is really condensing in these situations, as it heavily implies that white males are the only ones who are the best people for the job. Unless it is Black Panther or Wonder Woman. Where suddenly it becomes a question of why is a minority or woman the best person for the job only when dealing with minorities or women, but white males can do all that and more.

4. Reaver027 Registered

I want this movie R rated. Everything else will feel wrong for such a character. And i am pretty sure the franchise can handle a R rated entry.

5. Silvermoth Avenger

Mangold. Oh I see how it is. Why’s it got to be mangold? Why not womangold!

(Just kidding)

6. Ozbridge Registered

I'll only believe James Mangold's Boba Fett movie actually happens when James Mangold actually finishes post-production of the Boba Fett movie.

7. Broseph44 Witness Me

Okay

8. Ozbridge Registered

Is this sarcasm? (Per SHH etiquette) do I need to reply to this? If so then I have no idea how because I don't understand what you meant.

9. henzINNIT Registered

Mixed reactions.

Mangold is a smart choice. He's coming off a big win with Logan and I can already see that western tinged approach working for this character. Much like Solo, I don't care for the film idea much but a good director has caught my attention. Mangold's shots with a big SW budget could be glorious, and he can bring sombre to the project.

On the other hand, as good as Mangold is for Disney, I don't know how good Disney is for Mangold. We've seen him work under studio demands with The Wolverine, and in relative freedom with Logan. We all know what we'd prefer. All this for a Boba Fett film too. Bored of Disney's creative choices at the moment.

10. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

As long as Dengar is in it, count me in.

11. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

The way to do this is the Man with No Name route. Have him never take off the helmet, never reveal too much about his interior life. Let him be the cipher through which the story and world building revolves.

12. Loki882 Registered

I'd probably make it more like a Clint Eastwood Man with No Name-type of film. Namely he just shows up, we don't learn that much about his past, does his thing in a conflict, and moves on.

Also if they're going for a "space western with a morally shady protagonist" then James Mangold is actually a great choice for that kind of film I think. I mean Logan, 3:10 to Yuma, Cop Land, Walk the Line, The Wolverine, etc. That's quite a resume there.

13. Grootster Dancing Tree

So is this actually confirmed? I checked the Star Wars website yesterday and didn't see anything about it...

If true, I'm torn. I didn't see Logan, it's not really my cup of tea, but from what I understand it was a very well-made movie. That much being said, I hope they don't try to turn the Boba Fett movie into something really dark and depressing. I guess we'll see. This guy seems like a far better choice than some.

Edit:

I step into a thread about new Star Wars news and this is the first thing I see. Uggh...

14. Man in the Suit Greeting

How is that possible when it's the 10th post?

15. Astro13Zombie Registered

This has me so excited.
    I really really hope it happens

16. Broseph44 Witness Me

So you edited this post just to make a comment about Snow? Really?

17. Thorne Registered

Manu Bennett could be a good pick for Boba whether or not he takes off the helmet. One of the few possibilities who both looks and sounds a fair bit like Temura Morrison, and he has presence and physicality to spare.

[​IMG]

18. Grootster Dancing Tree

I saw the news yesterday on reddit, so I skimmed the first page of posts here. Technically I think the first thing I saw was someone quoting that post, but it's the same difference. The fact that this seems to be one of the main discussions here is disturbing.

I could type up several paragraphs giving multiple reasons about why this is silly (actually I did, but I didn't post it because I don't want to derail the thread any more.) The only point that needs to be made is that it's just an inappropriate comment for this thread that only seems to exist to stir up controversy. It has nothing to do with the news or the movie. There are more appropriate places to complain about that issue if one desires.

19. Grootster Dancing Tree

To get back to talking about the movie itself, I's really excited for it, and I'll be able to get even more excited once I see official confirmation, and the release date (which I really hope is the unannounced 2020 movie). Probably the first thing in the brand I'll actually be looking forward to since Rogue One.

I'm curious if they'll keep Temuera Morrison, use Danial Logan, recast him, or make the movie about Boba's child. A lot of people didn't like Boba being a clone, so I wonder if they'll retcon that.

Personally, I would like a movie about older Boba escaping the Sarlaac, and training his son to carry on the Fett legacy. Old Boba could be played by Morrison, and his son could be someone entirely new since he wouldn't have to be a clone. Then, they could use Boba's son in the sequel trilogy timeline.

I kind of hope it's not another origin about young Boba, but on the other hand it might be cool to have Boba go after Mace Windu for revenge. If they keep Mace alive after Revenge of the Sith, they could even have Boba be the one to kill him. Plus, it could give Samuel Jackson a good Star Wars role since he was kind of wasted in the prequels.

20. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Or I just expressed my thoughts on the news, negative and positive. Not everything's about winding you up or causing controversy just because you don't like it.

21. TheVileOne Registered

This argument makes no sense at all. It's basically insinuating that Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm are collectively racist and sexist because of a perception that they will only hire older white males as directors for Star Wars films.

For starters, we don't know all of what's going on behind closed doors and what kind of negotiations or talks are going on with filmmakers.

But if we are going to blame Lucasfilm and Kennedy for being sexist and racist for their directors choices, when Lucasfilm has proven itself to be very progressive with its handling of modern Star Wars, then the plot is being lost here.

22. Astro13Zombie Registered

Just imagine the vibes that this movie could have.
    The things it could pull inspiration from.
    [​IMG]
    :awesome:

23. Ozbridge Registered

Isn't the live action TV series said to be the source to find more talents and train them? Hopefully women and PoC can work on new movies after graduating from the TV series.

24. Pennywise Registered

James Mangold is a pretty awesome choice to direct!

25. Pennywise Registered

He'd be great if Morrison wasn't able to come back!