James Mangold's “Ford v Ferrari” (Damon, Bale)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by terry78, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Hunter Rider Ronin

2. Hunter Rider Ronin

3. DarkKnight88 Registered

4. kvz5 HBIC

5. kvz5 HBIC

6. Hunter Rider Ronin

:applaud

[​IMG]

MovieSlave and Blitzkrieg like this.
  7. Hunter Rider Ronin

Fantastic film, a lot of the early hype was on Bale's performance, and he is good, but I thought Damon was brilliant as Carroll Shelby, he's the centerpiece of the film betwren his relationship with the volatile Miles and his running battle with the corporate politics of Ford. I also enjoyed Jon Bernthal in a very different type of role for him, and Caitriona Balfe as Miles no nonsense but ultra supportive wife Mollie.

The film is called Ford vs Ferrari in the US but in truth the film is about Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles and their battle with both Ford and Ferrari, the former in the board room and the latter on the track. In truth both Shelby and Miles have more in common with Enzo than Henry Ford II, as while Enzo is somewhat arrogant, for anyone that loves cars or racing he's in it for all the right reasons, while Ford is depicted as a soulless machine that is about profit and pretence, that has no understanding of why people love cars and are only competing because Henry Ford II's ego was bruised when he tried to buy Ferrari.

The story of the film delivers on multiple levels, there's the central competition to win Le Mans that is engrossing as we see how the Gt40 was crafted to face Ferrari which is really interesting on a technical level, then there's the Shelby trying to balance his friendship with Miles while navigating the corporate politics and then there's Miles family life which fleshes him out and makes him likable which offsets his eccentric and at times abrasive personality. All the elements blend together well to make a rich and engaging story that invests you in the racing sequences.

Speaking of the racing sequences, they are some of the most spectacular ever commited to film, they take you right into the action and have a visceral quality and a real sense of speed with the editing, but at the same time there are plenty of longer shots that allow you to appreciate the classic race cars in motion.

James Mangold deserves a lot of credit for how he pieces all the aspects of the movie together, allowing the film time to breathe for the character moments but never letting the film's pace lag, the 2 and a half hour runtime flies by, and he uses the humourous banter between Shelby and Miles to give the film a bit of levity as Damon and Bale play off each other really well. His command of the race sequences in balancing cool visual moments with the intensity of the driver's POV is superb.

I don't know if Damon, Bale and Mangold will get nominations come awards season and I don't really care about that stuff, but I think it will definitely get nominated for sound and editing, and for me personally it's one of the best movies of the year.

9/10

Deck Rickard, -JKR-, Asr and 4 others like this.
  8. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I really wanna try to see this. I'm glad to see a film like this is doing well.

-JKR- likes this.
  9. Speed Force Goober

Pretty darn good, at least the second half is. The first half of the movie is good enough, but the second half is a lot better. Bale and Damon are both great. I can see this doing really well over the next few weeks - especially with the long Holiday weekend coming up.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  10. DarkKnight88 Registered

11. The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

I felt this movie was incredible and a great example of a Hollywood movie telling such a fantastic story and being so well made. It feels like a film right at home on Turner classic movies.

-JKR- and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  12. Kane52630 XO USER

MovieSlave and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  13. Legendver2 Smokin' Sexy Style!

Superb film for any racing fan. Still Rush is still one of my favorite films of all time, but this was close.

Also, does Josh Lucas ALWAYS have to play an *******?

-JKR- and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  14. Asr Registered

Saw this last night, really liked it a lot! Another great one from James Mangold—I haven't seen a movie yet from him that hasn't been bad. Overall very well-made and well-shot, with really good acting performances from Bale and Damon notably, but everyone else too.

Although I like car racing in general, I'm not a hardcore fan of it, and definitely not familiar with the history of either racing or well-known car models for that matter. So at that point in the movie where the Ford Mustang showed up, I thought the movie was going to be the origin of the Mustang. So I was surprised when it turned out to be the GT40 instead. :o

Pretty much agree with everything Hunter Rider said in his review above, and definitely have to echo that the racing sequences in the latter part of the film were shot amazingly well—I loved that the film combined shots from the interior driver POV, on-track "right next to the cars" POV, and high-up "spectator"-like POV to really make the races feel more energetic. Definitely a film that benefits from being seen on the biggest theater screen possible, with the best sound system possible!

-JKR-, KaijuDude1992 and TheVileOne like this.
  15. Elayis Registered

Maybe it's because I'm not a car guy, but this film really dragged for me at times. I'm also not into sports, and this was very much structured like a typical football/basketball drama. Any time it focused on the characters and relationships I was fine, but my eyes glazed over during the actual race. And I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the film did not paint Ford II in a good light at all. It was sort of strange for the protagonists to be on the side of such an odious character.

All that said, I could see this winning best picture, as fits right in with the typical feel-good films like Argo or The King's Speech that usually win.

TheVileOne likes this.
  16. TheVileOne Registered

Josh Lucas plays a good corporate jerk. He should be in more films.

-JKR-, KaijuDude1992 and Blackman like this.
  17. Elayis Registered

I remember how he seemed to be the new "It" guy in the mid-2000s and then he just dropped off the radar. The only thing I remember seeing him in the last few years was on Yellowstone as young Kevin Costner (another jerk character). I agree that he's an underrated actor that should get more work.

TheVileOne and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  18. TheVileOne Registered

Hulk and Stealth, oof.

But I mean his character in this film, basically a 2-dimensional corporate stooge. He's there to be a heel and the guy you don't like. It's a thankless role but he does it 100%. He's also the closest thing the movie has to an actual antagonist.

-JKR-, Blackman and Schlosser85 like this.
  19. Kane52630 XO USER

-JKR- likes this.
  20. shauner111 Registered

Bale’s shenanigans kept me from falling asleep. It was OK. Something I would have stumbled upon, on Netflix. One viewing, and be done with it.

TheVileOne likes this.
  21. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Ford v Ferrari was pretty good. Mangold did a really good job filming the racing scenes, IMO better than Ron Howard did in Rush. Damon was fine but Bale gets the juicy colorful role and sinks his teeth in with relish. The whole supporting cast is good too, and the fact that they’re really fighting Josh Lucas’ meddling corporate executive more than Ferrari most of the time, and the buddy movie element, makes it a little “more” than just a racing movie.

-JKR-, Hunter Rider and Blackman like this.
  22. Blackman C'mon Son

I thought it was great. I'll for sure pick it up on Blu Ray. It was kinda by the numbers up until the last 5-10 mins, but it was still interesting and I'm not even a racing fan at all. The performances and directing really elevated this.

Really enjoyed it

Hunter Rider likes this.
  23. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I hadn’t been impressed with Bale for a couple movies, but between this and Vice (and especially how worlds apart he is between them), I think he’s reaffirmed his credentials as one of the stronger character actors.

kvz5, MovieSlave and TheVileOne like this.
  24. terry78 Seein' it eye 2 eye

This one felt more like Bale was playing himself due to how similar his normal voice is, unless I just can't differentiate dialects. Damon was cool as his straight man.

25. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I think his accent was played up a bit here.