James Mangold's “Ford v Ferrari” (Damon, Bale)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by terry78, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Mysteryman Registered

I saw this two days ago.
    It is one of the best films of the year.
    I almost went online to see how the actual race played out.
    I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO GLAD THAT I DID NOT LOOK UP MOVIE INFO IN MY LIFE!

-JKR- likes this.
  2. CaptainWagner Not Today

Finally got to see this and WOW was it incredible. Such a great movie, and I'm shocked that Bale isn't considered an Oscar front-runner for this.

-JKR- and TheVileOne like this.
  3. writer0327 Registered

Just got out of this movie about an hour ago. This is my favorite film of the year.

There's so much to digest in what is a simple, straightforward plot. Ford wants to reignite their lagging sales by winning one of the biggest auto races in the world against a juggernaut of racing, Ferrari. In order to do so, they assemble a team of engineers and gear heads whose sole focus is building the fastest car they can build and finding the best driver to drive it. Simple premise, no crazy twists, nothing elaborate or bombastic, and it is engaging as hell.

The movie ran the gamut of emotions from joy to fear to sadness. There's laughter, there's tears, stand up a cheer movie moments, there's a level of poignancy where you just sit back and fold your arms and shake your head and say "damn, now where has this been in movies?" You can almost feel a sense of pride from the folks who were working on this film in what they were making, and this is something that seems to always be present in every James Mangold film. The performances are phenomenal, and yet somehow they feel like the least amazing thing about this film. The direction of Mangold, the screenwriting, the racing cinematography, the sound, the editing, the pacing of the story, the production value. Jeez, I could literally go on and on to say how well put together the film is, but beyond that, yes, those performances were lights out. Bale kills it. He is one of the premier actors of our generation. Matt Damon is perfect as usual and turns in one of his more solid performances in years. Josh Lucas of course plays the villain of the film and has basically mastered the art of being an a-hole in just about everything he does. One thing I will point everyone I speak about this movie to: the last 45 mins to hour of the film. This was just film making at its most sublime. Plot, pacing, pay offs, hero moments, villain moments, everything builds to a crescendo and finishes with panache. I hear folks say Rush was a better racing movie, but I think they are just trying not to be prisoners of the moment. Ford v Ferrari is superior in my opinion.

10/10

4. KaijuDude1992 Registered

This was pretty damn great. Just a good old fashioned sports drama with a big budget and a awesome cast. I really loved all the racing scenes in this, especially the entire third act that takes place at Le Mans '66. Damon and Bale were fantastic in their roles, and I really enjoyed their chemistry throughout, but man I think this will really clean up at the Oscars with a whole bunch of tech noms.

The sound, cinematography and editing are all very top notch and kudos to Josh Lucas for being in this and playing one of the most unlikable, smug, corporate *****e bags ever, because he is still great at it lol.

9/10

StarLord and Kuwolski like this.
  5. kvz5 HBIC

6. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Finally saw this the other day. Easily one of the best films of the year. It was pretty much perfect from start to finish. Bale and Damon were fantastic. I totally bought them as these legendary racers and gearheads who had a volatile friendship for years. Catriona Balfe (Sassanach!) was also excellent, and Tracy Letts and John Bernthal were great. Josh Lucas(!) was also perfect as a corporate sleazeball who was one of the best movie villains of the year... HATED his character. The racing sequences were spectacular and exhilarating. I've been a fan of Mangold for a while and I have to say that this was his best film, even better than Logan. It deserves all the accolades it's gotten.

7. Gold Samurai Registered

The wait for this to come out on digital Jan 28th is killing me!

KaijuDude1992 and Deck Rickard like this.
  8. StarLord Registered

One of my favs this year. Bale was fantastic and his chemistry with Damon was good, but I particularly enjoyed his scenes with Noah Jupe. I was hooked at the entire Le Mans race and those racing scenes were incredible.

Looking forward to Mangold and Damon teaming up again for that dirty cop movie The Force.

[​IMG]

KaijuDude1992, -JKR- and Deck Rickard like this.