James Mangold's “Ford v Ferrari” (Damon, Bale)

I saw this two days ago.
It is one of the best films of the year.
I almost went online to see how the actual race played out.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO GLAD THAT I DID NOT LOOK UP MOVIE INFO IN MY LIFE!

Just got out of this movie about an hour ago. This is my favorite film of the year.

There's so much to digest in what is a simple, straightforward plot. Ford wants to reignite their lagging sales by winning one of the biggest auto races in the world against a juggernaut of racing, Ferrari. In order to do so, they assemble a team of engineers and gear heads whose sole focus is building the fastest car they can build and finding the best driver to drive it. Simple premise, no crazy twists, nothing elaborate or bombastic, and it is engaging as hell.

The movie ran the gamut of emotions from joy to fear to sadness. There's laughter, there's tears, stand up a cheer movie moments, there's a level of poignancy where you just sit back and fold your arms and shake your head and say "damn, now where has this been in movies?" You can almost feel a sense of pride from the folks who were working on this film in what they were making, and this is something that seems to always be present in every James Mangold film. The performances are phenomenal, and yet somehow they feel like the least amazing thing about this film. The direction of Mangold, the screenwriting, the racing cinematography, the sound, the editing, the pacing of the story, the production value. Jeez, I could literally go on and on to say how well put together the film is, but beyond that, yes, those performances were lights out. Bale kills it. He is one of the premier actors of our generation. Matt Damon is perfect as usual and turns in one of his more solid performances in years. Josh Lucas of course plays the villain of the film and has basically mastered the art of being an a-hole in just about everything he does. One thing I will point everyone I speak about this movie to: the last 45 mins to hour of the film. This was just film making at its most sublime. Plot, pacing, pay offs, hero moments, villain moments, everything builds to a crescendo and finishes with panache. I hear folks say Rush was a better racing movie, but I think they are just trying not to be prisoners of the moment. Ford v Ferrari is superior in my opinion.

10/10

This was pretty damn great. Just a good old fashioned sports drama with a big budget and a awesome cast. I really loved all the racing scenes in this, especially the entire third act that takes place at Le Mans '66. Damon and Bale were fantastic in their roles, and I really enjoyed their chemistry throughout, but man I think this will really clean up at the Oscars with a whole bunch of tech noms.

The sound, cinematography and editing are all very top notch and kudos to Josh Lucas for being in this and playing one of the most unlikable, smug, corporate *****e bags ever, because he is still great at it lol.

9/10

Finally saw this the other day. Easily one of the best films of the year. It was pretty much perfect from start to finish. Bale and Damon were fantastic. I totally bought them as these legendary racers and gearheads who had a volatile friendship for years. Catriona Balfe (Sassanach!) was also excellent, and Tracy Letts and John Bernthal were great. Josh Lucas(!) was also perfect as a corporate sleazeball who was one of the best movie villains of the year... HATED his character. The racing sequences were spectacular and exhilarating. I've been a fan of Mangold for a while and I have to say that this was his best film, even better than Logan. It deserves all the accolades it's gotten.

One of my favs this year. Bale was fantastic and his chemistry with Damon was good, but I particularly enjoyed his scenes with Noah Jupe. I was hooked at the entire Le Mans race and those racing scenes were incredible.

Looking forward to Mangold and Damon teaming up again for that dirty cop movie The Force.

lIneX3K.jpg

This was great. Bale and Damon were fantastic together. Coolest dad movie ever!

I'm neither a car junkie nor a racing enthusiast but this one hooked me right off the bat. I have tried to watch F1 many times over the years but I can't say I can watch it for long without getting bored. But this was so totally different. I was invested in the story the whole time. All the characters were engaging and I really cared about the outcome of the race and the fate of the characters. Mangold did a great job.

The racing scenes were f**king awesome. I never thought the sound of tyres screeching and burning will make me feel good. But it did and it was so good :wowe:

So I finally just watched this today. Man, this movie was incredible. Easily one of the best and one of my favorite films in recent years. I had been wanting to see this all this time. Glad I finally got around to it. Wow, what an excellent film. From the directing, the performances, the cinematography and the racing was done so so well. Nothing but great things to say about this. Buying it ASAP for the collection.

Finaly saw this on HBO. Fantastic film. I know nothing about racing...or cars for that matter but it didnt matter i was still utterly captivated by this. Mangold is lowkey one of the best directors working in Hollywood right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"