James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

I care about the right director being on the right project and I like the idea of Wan doing Aquaman. Could I be wrong and Wan be wrong for the gig? Sure but on paper I like him being the director. Whoever doesn't? Fine, that's your opinion. :shrug:

Last edited:
Nice to see this confirmed. I hope the story is done well.

Me too!

I have confidence in the story and script being done well for a reluctant Arthur dealing with a dilemma between the surface dwellers and trying to keep the Atlanteans from declaring war.

Plenty of time for the script to be worked on between now and the actual release date of 2018. :drl:

I am surprised and a bit horrified that the response to this news, at least in this thread, has been so positive. James Wan makes vapid box office fodder. There is not one great film in his oeuvre, and he has been active for over a decade now. Big box office returns do not necessarily align with quality filmmaking. In no way does this development bode well for those hoping for an engaging Aquaman movie.

You say this as if this is all fact. Well it's not. :whatever:

James Wan ‏@creepypuppet 7 min
"For ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.” - H.P. Lovecraft #worldcreation

Him quoting Lovecraft gives him even more 'like' points from me. :up:

Well, I already liked him, but now he gained my respect for quoting Lovecraft.

Tell me about it!

Me too!

I have confidence in the story and script being done well for a reluctant Arthur dealing with a dilemma between the surface dwellers and trying to keep the Atlanteans from declaring war.

Plenty of time for the script to be worked on between now and the actual release date of 2018. :drl:

Same here. I like the story idea. And Wan being a good director can do wonders with a good script. I can't wait to see how Atlantis will look.

That lovecraft quote is pretty spot on. He really is the perfect guy for the role

If the Trench in the Aquaman movie is inspired by Lovecraftian horror.....:awesome:

I want Wan to use his horror background to his advantage.

I never thought of Aquaman having a touch of horror but the more I think about it, the more I like it. And I hope nothing like what happened with Michelle MacLaren happens here. I want this pick to stay.

I think Wan probably has the leg-up on MacLaren, just due to having such extensive film experience (and especially on a blockbuster like Furious 7). MacLaren was really more of a gamble in this field.

I think Wan probably has the leg-up on MacLaren, just due to having such extensive film experience (and especially on a blockbuster like Furious 7). MacLaren was really more of a gamble in this field.
Also Wan already has a great relationship with WB because of The Conjuring.

Warner Brothers gets a director that is known for his horror movies to direct Aquaman and he decides to draw inspiration from an author that is known for an aquatic monster. :woot:

I have a good feeling we'll get "horror master James Wan"+"blockbuster action director James Wan." :D

Not to mention he has a strong history with WB.

I haven't seen Furious 7, but I liked Dead Silence, Insidous, and the conjuring.

And yet it is every bit as valid as the opposing opinion.
Are you going to go discuss something that you like now?

And I'll totally take back this post if you aren't yet another one of those pessimistic people who constantly has to be a buzz-killington and educate us on what WB/DC are doing wrong now.

Last edited:
Full press release.
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that director James Wan (“Furious Seven,” “The Conjuring”) will take the helm of the Studio’s upcoming Aquaman feature film, with Jason Momoa (“Game of Thrones”) starring as the sea-dwelling Super Hero. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Silverman stated, “We’ve been so lucky to have worked with James, first on New Line’s ‘The Conjuring’ and now on their upcoming ‘The Conjuring 2,’ and are thrilled to have him on board as we continue to expand our DC slate. The Aquaman film will be a major tentpole picture for us and James’s span of work has proven him able to take on any manner of project, bringing his incredible creative talent and unique voice to the material.”
Wan will also be supervising the script by Kurt Johnstad (“300,” “300: Rise of an Empire”). The film is being produced by Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder and Zack Snyder.
Roven said, “James is not only a great storyteller but can make action truly explode on the big screen, and Jason has a dynamic presence that commands your attention. Together, they will bring an undeniable vitality and energy to this character as he headlines his first feature film.”
An icon for over 70 years, Aquaman is the King of the Seven Seas. This reluctant ruler of Atlantis, caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and Atlanteans looking to lash out in revolt, is committed to protecting the entire globe.
Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Direct-Jason-Momoa-Warner-Bros.#.VXCrDVLmgxL

Are you going to go discuss something that you like now?

And I'll totally take back this post if you aren't yet another one of those pessimistic people who constantly has to be a buzz-killington and educate us on what WB/DC are doing wrong now.

I don't understand the initial question here. I have made it clear that I am not optimistic about James Wan's hiring, and, given the thread title, that is all that should be under discussion here. Shall I go off-topic?

I would consider myself a realist with regard to this Aquaman film. The director has a filmography populated with mediocre to substandard horror fare. He simply has not made good films. Even the original Saw, which made him famous, was a fortuitous product of its time and does not hold up to repeat viewings. Wan is a certified hack. The studios hire him because he makes films that are salable products--not art. Be wary of any director deemed suitable to helm the Fast & Furious franchise, even the 21st century version of John Singleton.

Quite simply, I would rather see one great Aquaman film over a product tailored to spawn a host of money-grubbing sequels. And I cannot realistically expect that with James Wan involved.

fmBTUdG.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/3heYB2vHNY/

I hope Wan gets a good team to bring this all to life. Both Wonder Woman and Aquaman have the same hurdles a Thor film had. Like the Odinson they both require whole other worlds and cultures that have to be brought to life and be both fantastical yet relatable. Production design and costume as well as the general tenor the world they create onscreen is a big part of that when it comes to the audience going along for the ride in a big way. I thought for a long time that Thor would just be too out there and funky for a mainstream audience but Marvel showed that it could be done and made stars out of Hiddleston and Hemmsworth in the process. AM and WW are in the same place to a certain degree and hopefully for Aquaman, Wan puts a team in place to bring this to life in a compelling and exciting way. I hope he's up to the stylization I think an AM film needs to have to get across the epic fantasy elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"