James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

Nothing in his past screamed fast cars and huge action set pieces either, but his latest movie made over a billion at the box office. :whatever:

You ignored my next sentence.God its like clockwork for you guys :whatever:

I wonder if Aquaman would throw a fit for me eating sushi in his face.

You ignored my next sentence.God its like clockwork for you guys :whatever:

I read your next sentence, I just thought you might be suffering from a split personality disorder.

Blind optimism would be applicable if the director had no prior film released and is just starting out. This isn't the case here.

Others are free to express their doubts, but being labeled a blind optimist isn't necessary.

I will never be blindly optimistic about any film at my age. There are always doubts, just because I don't voice them all of the time doesn't mean that they don't exist. Am I mostly optimistic? Sure but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stay that way or pretend that I like a film that I don't.

I have questioned directors getting comicbook movie gigs before. I thought Marc Webb was the wrong director for Spider-Man and I didn't like his films so naturally I think that my apprehension proved to be true.

If I thought Wan was a mediocre or poor choice I wouldn't pretend that it was a good choice and that I was excited.

Last edited:
Nothing in his past screamed fast cars and huge action set pieces either, but his latest movie made over a billion at the box office. :whatever:

It's not even just "over a billion" either. It's the 3rd highest grossing film of all time. And Wan is versatile. He's done straight horror, psychological revenge thrillers, horror films with comedic undertones, and big budget blockbusters. So yeah, it's not "blind optimism" if his track speaks for itself.

It's not even just "over a billion" either. It's the 3rd highest grossing film of all time. And Wan is versatile. He's done straight horror, psychological revenge thrillers, horror films with comedic undertones, and big budget blockbusters. So yeah, it's not "blind optimism" if his track speaks for itself.

You don't need to school me on his IMDB list, Nolan. I've seen them all. :cwink:

You don't need to school me on his IMDB list, Nolan. I've seen them all. :cwink:

This ain't my first day on the internet, bruh. I've seen 'em all too. Why do you think I didn't specifically name those movies? :sly:

I wonder if Aquaman would throw a fit for me eating sushi in his face.

New 52 Aquaman goes into a seafood restaurant and orders fish to eat... So nah, man, I think it's all good in the hood with him.

(He ended up leaving before it got there... but he was going to eat it! :o)

-Nothing in the Russo's past screamed "70's-esque political thriller with Captain America in it."

-Nothing in Nolan's past screamed "Batman."

-Nothing in Brad Bird's past screamed "best MI film yet."

-Nothing in Sam Mendes's past screamed "James Bond."

-Etc.

Using a director's past to judge their hiring can have it's uses. However, it's hardly the be all end all.

the things from Wan's past that qualify him

1. He knows how to shoot heightened reality.

2. He knows how to shoot highly technical stunts

3. He knows how to pace a film to keep the tension level just right and not lose the audience or tire them out with overindulgence.

4. He gets good performances out of even mediocre actors. He knows how to play to their strengths.

He also is apparently willing to take huge risks because this film requires something that has never been done before really. To create a believable underwater society and civilization. Think about it. Sure we've had underwater labs and submarine films etc. But never something like this undertaking. A lot of directors would look at it and walk.

Last edited:
That's one aspect that I really am wondering what tack they are going to take? I mean, to do a straight up "comic book accurate" DC Atlantis would just be a Herculean logistical nightmare. What tweaks and changes to the DC Atlantis mythos are they going to make?

Just to be clear I dont hate James wan as a choice.Just not excited either.

And I dont really think James wan deserves the credit for making a billion on FF7.That was due to it being a sequel to a popular franchise and Paul walkers death

That's one aspect that I really am wondering what tack they are going to take? I mean, to do a straight up "comic book accurate" DC Atlantis would just be a Herculean logistical nightmare. What tweaks and changes to the DC Atlantis mythos are they going to make?

Bubble city.Atlantis enclosed in a bubble underwater

No director besides James Cameron deserves to be credited with a billion dollar film then. It's obnoxious when people try to downplay the success of directors and actors just because they don't care for them.

James Wan directed a billion dollar film just like Nolan, Burton, Whedon, Jackson and Verbinski among others.

Last edited:

Yeah you can't really film the whole thing underwater. You could try to cgi the water but that's going to cost a lot of money and probably look bad. Not to mention the actors can't speak underwater. you have to have air to vibrate vocal chords. so it would all be telepathic. this leads me to believe that Atlantis will be under a dome and they will breathe air for the most part. Only hydrating when needed. or maybe they keep the air at 100% humidity and that's enough?

No director besides James Cameron deserves to be credited with a billion dollar film then. It's obnoxious when people try to downplay the success of directors and actors just because they don't care for them.

James Wan directed a billion dollar film just Nolan, Burton, Whedon, Jackson and Verbinski among others.

:up: :up:

James Wan directed a billion dollar film just Nolan, Burton, Whedon, Jackson and Verbinski among others.

Exactly.

Wan and his F7 is about take out Avengers for #3 overall of all time in Box Office.

Great success!

Yeah you can't really film the whole thing underwater. You could try to cgi the water but that's going to cost a lot of money and probably look bad. Not to mention the actors can't speak underwater. you have to have air to vibrate vocal chords. so it would all be telepathic. this leads me to believe that Atlantis will be under a dome and they will breathe air for the most part. Only hydrating when needed. or maybe they keep the air at 100% humidity and that's enough?

I see Atlantis in some type of dome. Wan seems to already be excited about the opportunity with his quote of Lovecraft and his #worldcreation.

Good to see he is pumped! Glad WB's and Wan are starting prep on this now...they will need all of the next two years before the release to work on this puppy.

Last edited:
Having not seen Furious 7 yet, I do keep wondering what it'll be like having a director who's done so much horror at the helm of a CBM. But then I remember that the director who gave us the first real attempt at taking a comic book seriously when putting it on the big screen gave us this just a few years before...

[YT]kqAYR6z7yAU[/YT]

Having not seen Furious 7 yet, I do keep wondering what it'll be like having a director who's done so much horror at the helm of a CBM. But then I remember that the director who gave us the first real attempt at taking a comic book seriously when putting it on the big screen gave us this just a few years before...

[YT]kqAYR6z7yAU[/YT]

Post of the thread when it comes to this subject.

No, I think the proper response will be: He just gave us a fantastic Mad Max film, so let him give us the next chapter that's been promised to us.
I recall a recent interview where he opens up for directing superhero stuff. Is my memory wrong?

I never thought of Aquaman having a touch of horror but the more I think about it, the more I like it. And I hope nothing like what happened with Michelle MacLaren happens here. I want this pick to stay.
Interesting, but wasn't there talk about having horror element in Wonder Woman too (greek mythology monsters and all that)?

Pardon me, but not every DC hero should go that route. They need to be very different from each other.

Unfortunately, THIS is not what we're getting. Rather a re-imagination of the character

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"