Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Amazing Spider-Man' started by Thread Manager, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picard Sisko

Picard Sisko Prepare to be Assimilated

So using Electro is dumb and boring? To each his own. And just because Electro is confirmed doesn't mean Green Goblin won't make an appearance at the end of the film.

If Goblin does make an appearance, I want it to be a surprise. Sony will probably give it away in the trailers/tv spots though. :( argh...

2. NinjaTurtleFan

NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

How is Electro boring? lol :huh:

I mean yeah there is a part of me we might get another Sandman, but he could have the potential to be the best villain ever next to Doc Ock if written correctly.

Lizard's origin was scatty and a lot of scenes shouldn't have been left on the cutting room floor; Sandman was underdeveloped. Green Goblin was good, but the suit could've been better.

If done and written right and if Foxx can really bring his A-game, the character could be a massive success. The reboot won a lot of fans, but also divided others (critics). Now, that Spidey's origin has been told, Webb can focus more on Pete's relationships, what drives him as a character, the villains, the bigger picture, his pursuit of his Uncle's killer, etc. and one way to really bring audiences and critics back is, in my opinion, make Electro sort of like what Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face was in "THE DARK KNIGHT." Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is Joker and uses a likable guy like Max Dillon as a pawn in his grander scheme. When the accident happens, he reaches out to him in order to get rid of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, maybe Pete is present during the accident, and as Spider-Man he could've saved him, but didn't, and Green Goblin twists Max's mind to blame Pete for his transformation. This would allow him to get closer to the one's Pete loves and by the end of the movie Gwen would die.

Just an idea.

3. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Because he's saying its going to be "dumb and boring" without even seeing the film to the actors performance/portrayal of the charcter yet. I'm not saying its gonna be amazing, it might end up being horrible. But I will at least wait until I see the finished product.

4. Ultimatehero

Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Not meaning to sound racist, I just hope they do this role right and not go in the cliche route because having a black electro I just picture them wanting to make him cool and hip and edgy and groovy - basically his Djengo persona but a bad guy. Whereas they should hopefully still keep him maniacal, dark, and edgy. Jammie Foxx has that cool kind of edge to him, but he's also a great actor - just hope they cast because of the actor and not "let's make this guy black so he can carry that coolness." Because Hollywood is still known for type casting minorities like that. Electro has always been the opposite of smooth in the comics - well all except for Ultimate but there he was just a henchman. If that makes sense? Seeing how Hollywood thinks, I can see them seeing this way on the role rather than just keeping everything race neutral and just casting by the actor. I mean it is a studio that saw 'black spider-man' as being "funky" instead of creepy... just hoping it's Foxx with a take like 'Spider-Man: Power to the People.'

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

And that gives you the right to call the person a "cry baby"?

You could've just said what you said to me right now without name calling.

6. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

I don't see Marc Webb or Sony doing something like that.

7. SpiderMarvelite

SpiderMarvelite Well-Known Member

" Electro gets the short end of the stick and takes it out on the world?
    So basically he's treated wrongly then lashes as doenst give a crap?
    Let's see some Foxx badassery.

8. Ultimatehero

Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I wouldn't put it past them. Not saying it will happen, hoping it won't. But it is classic Hollywood level thinking.

9. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Well, we are pretty hip.

10. Anno_Domini

I'll add to this and say let's see a villain that will be actually worthwhile and compete with Dafoe's Green Goblin and Molina's Doc Ock :cwink:

11. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I doubt he'll be a stereotype. Foxx at this stage in his career wouldn't say yes to that. Not to say everything that he has done was gold (Stealth).

12. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

Looks like they are again trying to make a sympathetic villain... this makes me worried

13. DarthDaveBanner

DarthDaveBanner Well-Known Member

Webb and co could do a lot worse than to take inspiration from SSM's version of Electro.

14. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

That's possibly my favorite version, though the design could be a tad better

15. Valkyrje

Valkyrje Monstah Lobstah

Please, we need a really bad villain.

16. mayo23

mayo23 Well-Known Member

If you've read what type of villains Webb prefers, then it's probably best to keep your hopes low for anything but sympathetic villains.

17. Rise_-

Rise_- Well-Known Member

Be ready to eat your words in a few years.

:p

18. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

But Electro is not a sympathetic villain.

Unless Webb intends to turn him into one...

19. Picard Sisko

Sandman was not "bad," he was just stealing money to find a cure for his daughter.

Doc Ock was sympathetic because he was a good guy being controlled by mechanical arms.

Harry was just getting revenge for his father...

Green Goblin was originally a good guy in the beginning of SM1, but turned outright evil after taking the serum.

Lizard was turned into a monster, but had good intentions (making a world without weakness), but he didn't know that he was actually harming everyone. He was never really the "bad guy."

Magneto is considered bad, but he also had a hard time growing up... he was in the holocaust, lost both his parents, faced oppression as a mutant, etc. So you can feel for him. But doesn't mean he is "good."

I think electro can be sympathetic, but still evil like Magneto in the x-men films.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  20. mayo23

mayo23 Well-Known Member

Well it also depends on how you define "sympathetic" and to what extent that is. One thing is for sure, Webb wants..or prefers villains with a humanistic element, a conflict between right and wrong and not a straight up bad guy.

Electro sounds like he could end up being the guy the world dumps on but when he gets his powers he decides to get back at everyone. There's already a human or sympathetic angle there.

21. Picard Sisko

Well if he uses his powers to get back at everyone, using them for "revenge," I think that makes him a really interesting "Bad guy." He is sympathetic, but really, how interesting would it be to see Spider-man fight a guy who just steals money and kills for the sake of it? We had that with Green Goblin in SM1 after he got revenge, but there is only so much you can do with that.

22. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Yeah, this!

I hoped for Foxx to say that he's a crazy, twisted, powerhungry man with a God complex. Or something more like that.

At first, I was worried about the "genious" thing too because he's not really a genious.

Then I thought about it and he could mean that he's a "genious electrician" in the way that he really can handle electricity like a pro. Wishful thinking, perhaps. But I imagine Electro controlling some technology with his electricity somehow, such as street lights etc.

The short stick thing is another thing that worried me, because that might hint that he's another sympathetic Avi Arad villain. But when thinking about it, the statement actually is kinda true to the character. That's how Electro feels and much why he eventually wants to prove that he's the most powerful man in NY (or the world).

I just want an Electro that has sad reasons for behaving like he does, but in no way should one feel that he's a good person throughout the film. He should be crazy and twisted, not in a psychopathic way but in a mentally ill way.

23. Picard Sisko

Well, if the guy is an electrician, then he must know how to handle electricity, different types of currents, etc. The entire film is being shot in New York. I picture him standing in the middle of times square absorbing all of the electricity from the massive amount of lights and television screens present there (even at midnight, some blocks look like its daytime). Imagine how epic that could be.

He woudl be sympathetic, but the idea is to get a villain who doesn't have "good intentions," such as: Doc Ock, Sandman, & Lizard.

It could go in that direction, we really don't know enough to say how he could turn out.

24. Anno_Domini

Lol, which will probably happen :csad:

25. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Well said! Could be very interesting. I just hope Electro doesn't feel like every other Spidey movie villain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.