January Jungle Lounge- Part 39

Status
Not open for further replies.
i usually just keep track in a word document sort of

i was hoping to find something in the vein of what goodreads is for tracking what books you've read

Battle Royale is like a Japanese version of Hunger Games, just older, Japanese, and they don't train and sit in fancy rooms.......
Only similarity is kids fighting to kill each other

I still find it hard to believe that in any society, folks would just let the kids have at it like that without any kind of protest. :( Doesn't seem natural.

I find it hard to believe that in our society, it is acceptable for our children to become big fat fatty boombalatties... doesn't seem natural.

In the technological era, it does make sense since the old folks are getting fat just as fast. When you don't go outside to play or sopend hours scrubbing your laundry, you're never going to burn any calories. But sending your kids off to kill other kids? Eh, I have a harder time seeing that.

That's why it's fiction...

... but I'm sure there have been tribal/ancient societies where children who are able bodied enough have been sent off to fight wars/battles. The chances of them fighting other children their age would have been likely... so it's not that extremely hard to believe...

... then again, I'm making all of this up. I didn't even Wikipedia anything... that's true laziness.

I am sure male children got sent off to fight, but I am also sure that was "for the good of the tribe," and they went alongside the men. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading Hunger Games, I just always had in the back of my mind that the folks there wouldn't have put up with the Games as long as they did, not in real life anyways.

I find the fact that there are real life Twilight fans far more of a scary thought than a fictional Hunger Games.

Squeeketh... you're not a Twilight fan?

Where's Angel Faerie at when I need to make fun of somebody? Such unreliability *smh*

I endured Twilight for the sake of my kid and while the middle two books were..tolerable... the first and last were real chores to get through. I will say the movies were better, mainly because they added action sequences that were not in the books which droned on endlesly. I don't mind a litte romance in an action book, but I have a hrder time with a teeny bit of action in a book riddled with angst. :( Overall they were quite boring.

You poor thing. Your love for your child is truly boundless... hopefully they don't grow up to be vampires.

That would make a great country song, Don't Raise Your Kids To Be Vampires.

You poor thing. Your love for your child is truly boundless... hopefully they don't grow up to be vampires.

That would make a great country song, Don't Raise Your Kids To Be Vampires.
LOL, I think most parents at least try to slog through some of what their kids are reading. My kid is still stuck in the YA level of books. Not all of them are bad, Mortal Instruments was decent and the werewolf series by Maggie Stiefvater was good as well. I haven't read House of Night or Hush Hush or any of those and I don't know if I want to. I'd much rather that my kid advance into more adult books but I don't know if she ever will. :(

How old is she? If you say 30... I'd just call it a day and move on with your life if I were you.

How old is she? If you say 30... I'd just call it a day and move on with your life if I were you.
She's 25 but has Aspergers, so she's pretty much going to remain 12 forever, or at least not get much beyond that. :(

Apologies, didn't intend to make light of her condition. What reading level is Twilight? I'm sure it's a higher reading level than a 12 year old. My 11 year old would have zero interest reading it but my ex-wife was gaga over it. Makes me question the latter's taste in books and life.

Apologies, didn't intend to make light of her condition. What reading level is Twilight? I'm sure it's a higher reading level than a 12 year old. My 11 year old would have zero interest reading it but my ex-wife was gaga over it. Makes me question the latter's taste in books and life.
I didn't think you meant anything bad so no worries. I don't know what the reading level is on Twilight. My kid may be 12-13 in attitude but it was unfair of even me to say her reading level was stuck there. Twilight might top out at 15-16, mainly because they skirt around anything explicit and they have little actual violence in there. My kid tried to read Hunger Games and bogged down which surprised me as I found them to be a fairly easy read. She claims to have read the Hobbit but I wonder how much actually went in. She says she is trying to read Lord of the Rings butshe hasn't gotten far. I am reading it myself (for the seventh time) and am way ahead of her despite her having started ahead of me. I think that unless soemthing really grabs her she won't put forth a real effort, but most folks are like that anyhow. :)

I enjoyed the first Twlight book and were sucked into the rest as I read them. In hindsight though, the first one was the only one that really stayed with me. The rest were either A) forgetable, or B) unfulfilling. The Hunger Games were the same. I LOVED the first one, thought the second one was decent but not near as good (though the arena was better), and I pretty much hated the third one. I sold both sets to Half Priced Books but plan to eventually go back and buy the first book of each set since they're both fairly stand alone and I enjoyed them.

The Hunger Games were the same. I LOVED the first one, thought the second one was decent but not near as good (though the arena was better), and I pretty much hated the third one.

That's the way my wife described them too....loved the first, thought second was ok, absolutely hates the third.

So I was just wondering... Is it possible to physically explode from stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"