Jared Leto IS The Joker - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, it's not a cathartic as it should be because the Joker is twisted enough to enjoy it. That was a great part of that scene in TDK. Bale-bats is beating the tar out of Ledger-Joker, and he's just laughing hysterically because he's gotten Batman all riled up. Or in Mask of the Phantasm, where Phantasm has finally gotten ahold of the Joker, and he just starts laughing about it.

Yeah... That's why Joker is such a thorn in Bat's side. There's never any satisfaction that you've really made this guy suffer for his crimes no matter how much violence you inflict on him.

The thing is, it's not a cathartic as it should be because the Joker is twisted enough to enjoy it. That was a great part of that scene in TDK. Bale-bats is beating the tar out of Ledger-Joker, and he's just laughing hysterically because he's gotten Batman all riled up. Or in Mask of the Phantasm, where Phantasm has finally gotten ahold of the Joker, and he just starts laughing about it.

I love that scene, "You have nothing to threaten me with!" Perfect. :hmr:

So I just watched the Joker scenes from TDK for the first time in a couple years and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlNSVZpbAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOLhXmhkyA

holy crap! I'm starting to think its not fair to compare Leto's Joker to that. I always loved the performance, thought it deserved the oscar but remember feeling that it wasnt the true Joker. Having said that it just goes to show how much writing, tension, acting and directing can make you forget about whats a true representation or not.

Based on everything I've read there are 4 reasons why its not fair to compare Leto's to Heath's Joker.

1. Heath was the main villain of TDK. His presence was felt throughout the movie as he was the primary threat. This meant the stakes were higher. In SS it appears there is someone else who is the main villain. I fear the Joker just provides context to Harley Quinn and then maybe later on we follow him as a villain. Heath was the villain from the beginning to end. Yes, I count Dent's transformation as part of keeping the Joker's presence ongoing.

2. Leto's taken a lot of breaks from set. I'm also kind of worried that they used the Joker to really sell the movie and hype it up. Similar to how Batman Assault on Arkham was the name used to give us the SS movie in 2014. Part of me wonders if The Joker just gets about 25 mins of screen time setting up the eventual Batfleck movie.

3. While I think Ayer directs action better than Nolan. I hope he can provide the layers and dialogue for The Joker the way Nolan did. That was just a very well written character. Everything he said had greater meaning. I also like how it made for great discussion afterwards. Ayer the writer has an extreme challenge to make this Joker as complex as the one before it.

4. Just not enough Batman/Joker. Its a SS movie so cant get upset about it. But their dynamic is what makes them so great.

Now having said all that. I'm on board in believing Leto's Joker will be awesome. I just fear we wont see the real Joker in full effect until Batfleck's movie. I'm loving the dead Robin angle and hope they can expand upon that in a future movie. I think Leto's Joker truly represents the Joker who has tortured Batman psychologically for years. Unlike before in previous movies where it was just the beginning for them.

I've been so excited about Leto's Joker and still am. But having watched TDK recently I may need to temper my expectations for the Joker in this movie.

some nicholson prosthetics and voilà

5nrcyw.jpg

That's one of the better manips (as in skills), but he looks way scarier without the eyebrows and fixed laugh.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't realise how unsettling the no eyebrows look would be until I saw him in motion. Seriously, go watch his scene again and just look at where his eyebrows would be, it's really freaky for some reason.

@DeadStroke:

Heath's performance was flawless, really something special. But huge part of his Joker was writing and Nolan's smart approach to the character. His lines and dialogs and actions in the film are superb. It's so complex film.
I'm not convinced Ayer is able to do that. I'm really sceptical about his writing skills and I think he is not that intellectual type of person Nolan is. So maybe Leto's performace will be outstanding, and I think it will, but due to not so perfect script the effect of his Joker won't be so mind-blowing. Which is shame. From what I've seen in the trailer, he is just awesome (in true sense of that word) as Joker and I reallly like this new interpretation, it's something new and fresh and really really scary...

I just hope Ayer's script is worthy enough to contain character like the Joker, one of the most iconic villains of all time. (Man I wish this film was astounding, but he is not Nolan... nor Burton, I should probably notice...)

@DeadStroke:

Heath's performance was flawless, really something special. But huge part of his Joker was writing and Nolan's smart approach to the character. His lines and dialogs and actions in the film are superb. It's so complex film.
I'm not convinced Ayer is able to do that. I'm really sceptical about his writing skills and I think he is not that intellectual type of person Nolan is. So maybe Leto's performace will be outstanding, and I think it will, but due to not so perfect script the effect of his Joker won't be so mind-blowing. Which is shame. From what I've seen in the trailer, he is just awesome (in true sense of that word) as Joker and I reallly like this new interpretation, it's something new and fresh and really really scary...

I just hope Ayer's script is worthy enough to contain character like the Joker, one of the most iconic villains of all time. (Man I wish this film was astounding, but he is not Nolan... nor Burton, I should probably notice...)

Its a concern..

I've been so caught up in how scary Leto's Joker looked that I forgot how scary Ledger's was because of the writing. He truly created chaos and had superb dialogue.

I just hope Joker isnt crazy.....and thats it. If he's battled Batman for years, killed Robin, etc then he has to have some evil genius to him.

However, I do have hope for the script based on Tom Hardy raving about the Joker scenes in the script he read. Lets hope it works on film.

More and more, I'm starting to love the idea of The Joker's prosthetic teeth. They do a great job of drawing your attention to his mouth when he speaks, and his smile is all the more sinister and unnerving for them.

@DeadStroke:

I understand your concern, but I think it's unfair to expect the same intellectualism from this Joker. The dialogue in TDK worked because Joker was trying to convey a point, a philosophy. Ayer is not going to replicate that in this movie because the character will be more story driven. In TDK everything revolved around "what will the Joker do next?" and Batman's reaction to that. In this movie, the character is part of a larger story with a big cast of characters. He sets certain things in motion but he's not the main catalyst.

Last edited:
More and more, I'm starting to love the idea of The Joker's prosthetic teeth. They do a great job of drawing your attention to his mouth when he speaks, and his smile is all the more sinister and unnerving for them.

Seeing the character in motion really makes you understand some of the cosmetic choices. The lack of eyebrows emphasizes the eyes, the teeth emphasize the smile and speech. Just goes to show that what some people called "lazy" in the run-up to this trailer wasn't so lazy after all.

Seeing the character in motion really makes you understand some of the cosmetic choices. The lack of eyebrows emphasizes the eyes, the teeth emphasize the smile and speech. Just goes to show that what some people called "lazy" in the run-up to this trailer wasn't so lazy after all.

:up:

I think we're in for something special.

Yeah the teeth really make his teeth pop out of his mouth when he is talking so It's almost like he is always smiling, it was a smart move

After watching the Suicide Squad trailer several times, I'm starting to think that the Joker IS the main villain... I'm thinking somehow he escapes and Amanda Waller puts together a squad of bad guys to track him down... the rationale could be that it takes a bad guy to track down a bad guy, but since nobody is as insane as the Joker, even other villains wouldn't mind locking him back up.

This would make sense because it would give Jared Leto's Joker a lot of screen time to shine... also, it adds to Harley Quinn's character because she can be on the squad because she knows the Joker the best... so their history together can be explored, and I guarantee in the final battle she betrays the squad and joins in with the Joker.

If joker is on the loose and batman can track him down on his own and take him down, why in the world would a government official like Waller need to assemble a team of superpowered/special skilled crooks to take down a steet thug/ganster like the joker? Thats nonsense.
My theory is that there is a big bad thats somehow tied to enchantress, who is likely the most powerful of the group. So the team is assembled to track and take down a superpowerd evil

The big bad HAS to be tied to Enchantress, because she's absent from the group shots in the trailer.

I think it could easily make sense for Amanda Waller to assemble the Suicide Squad in order to take down the Joker. The government cannot sponsor or rely on Batman or his actions. Vigilantism is a crime, and Batman is a criminal.

I really don't think joker is the main threat. Thats not very imaginative imo.

or logical.

We saw some weird soldiers covered with eyeballs or some other supernatural stuff. Not to mention the green haze that was on all the rubble.

or logical.

We saw some weird soldiers covered with eyeballs or some other supernatural stuff. Not to mention the green haze that was on all the rubble.

Exactly, hell it'd probably be more logical if enchantress turned out the be main threat. But certainly not joker.

Yeah, he's probably going for the same target as the squad, or he's just going to follow them and **** everything up just for the laughs.

I don't really see it as being more or less "imaginative" as any other potential main villain. It's all in the execution. The reason I think it makes sense is because the Joker is a pop culture icon. In theory, the more he is featured, the easier it will be for this film to access a wider audience. That translates to money, and, for the studio, that's what this whole enterprise is ultimately about.

That said, the idea of a secret main villain being tied to Enchantress is intriguing. She caught my eye more than once in the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"