Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Ghostbusters is so close to my heart. Apparently when I was about 4 years old, I announced to the family that I would marry Peter Venkman (not Bill Murray)

I didn't see the 2016 reboot because it felt wrong on all levels and I'm not sure how I feel about this...

It needs the original team but without Egon it can't be the same. Harold Ramis was probably the only time a famous person has passed and I've balled my eyes out. I sort of closed the door on a third Ghostbusters from that point.

Anyway, I hope whatever they do... it makes up for the 2016 travesty.

I’m curious to see how they take this, if it’s like extreme ghostbusters or the idw comics I’ll be happy

But sadly again if you look on twitter etc you see old wounds being reopened on both sides. I’ve already seen the moronic asshats gloating about the reboot and a few articles from newspapers blaming this new film on people for not supporting the reboot.

I’m excited for a new ghostbusters but it’s gonna have to hit a homer in with every swing

Wow a teaser this early! And it looks great! Love the use of the music from the first movie and the Ecto-1 tease.

Btw, what happened to that guy from before? Sounds like he got banned from the look of his lack of a profile.

All I have to say is, this better have Murray, Akroyd, and Hudson in it!!!!

Reitman is a quality director. I saw three films of his and all of them were good.

Granted, 2016 pos film killed any enthusiasm I had for the franchise. No matter how much nostalgia they inject into promos...

Since this apparently has been some kind of secret, I wonder if they've shot some stuff already, or perhaps even cast?

I’m curious to see how they take this, if it’s like extreme ghostbusters or the idw comics I’ll be happy

But sadly again if you look on twitter etc you see old wounds being reopened on both sides. I’ve already seen the moronic asshats gloating about the reboot and a few articles from newspapers blaming this new film on people for not supporting the reboot.

I’m excited for a new ghostbusters but it’s gonna have to hit a homer in with every swing
I have also seen people decrying how it isn't connected to the 2016 reboot and even complaining that despite it being an even split of two men and two women that it isn't enough.

There will always be someone who has to loudly hate on something and in this case there are plenty for different reasons. Including the ones who think it will be a failure no matter what and hold the first (two) to too high a regard.

I think the fact that it takes place in the same continuity goes a long way. That was the main complaint sane people had with the 2016 version. The all female cast had nothing to do with it. Those were just very loud jerks who probably weren’t even fans of the original.

Yeah there are a lot of people bitter that "fanboys" gave hate to the 2016 female driven movie and that Sony are reacting to it by bringing back the men.

Basically sexism fuel.

Only the split will be between men and women which is lost in the arguments.

The fact that they're going back to having men in it all period is an issue for some.

It's a mixed gender team, boy AND girl. Enough already, guys.

I still feel this is about 10 years too late. That said, the only way I feel this can work for me personally is if Murray is on board 100%, not have him be coerced in, be something he actually wants to do. The closest comparison I can make is with Harrison Ford who clearly wanted to distance himself from Han Solo for years but fully committed to the character again for TFA. If Murray is totally committed then I'm going to be more open to this movie.

You just can't argue the business sense of it. Legacy sequels ala the Star Wars sequels, Creed, Halloween etc. are making huge money at the box office right now. It's painfully obvious in retrospect that this would've been the right approach for this franchise. In fact, if Feig had pitched his remake idea AFTER The Force Awakens made 2 billion dollars I don't know if Sony would've went for it. If they did a female-centric cast but continued the story of the originals, sure you would've still had the usual suspects posting disgusting stuff but the vast majority of people would've been excited to go back to that world and experience the blend of old and new.

I really wanted the 2016 movie to be good just to spite the toxic people, but sadly it just turned out mediocre (imo). On the plus side, by virtue of being a remake it left the original universe untarnished and here we are. Even if Paul Feig had done a movie set in the universe of the originals, I don't think it would've worked because I don't think his style of humor meshes with the first two films.

And I agree about Murray. If he's all in, then this could be something special. It's tough enough as it is without Ramis.

Not sure about the whole teenager angle, but I'm willing to see what they do. At the very least, I like that it'll be a sequel to the original films.

Honestly, I always like Max Landis' GB3 pitch from a few years back. With some tweaking, I think that could've been something good.

Saw the teaser, and I gotta say, It gave me chills.

This is coming from someone who saw the original GB in theaters as a 5 year old in 1984.

Here's hoping they get Dan, Sigourney, Ernie, Annie, Rick, and yes ,Bill ,back in the game again.

I honestly don’t want the originals back. It will turn into a New Hope situation where the older characters will just overshadow the new ones.

Hopefully they cast actors that have good chemistry and are interesting to watch on screen. And I know they want two guys and two girls but I really hope the relationships are platonic and not romantic.

The whole point is the originals are back to pass the torch. It worked for Force Awakens. It worked for Creed. It can work here.

As long as they remember that the Original ghostbusters are gonna be a pretty big hook for this movie.

If they cast 4 young adults, like reports suggest then that kinda doesn't take too much away from the originals. infact puts them even more into a mentor role.

I honestly don’t want the originals back. It will turn into a New Hope situation where the older characters will just overshadow the new ones.

Hopefully they cast actors that have good chemistry and are interesting to watch on screen. And I know they want two guys and two girls but I really hope the relationships are platonic and not romantic.

Nothing wrong with romance.

The whole point is the originals are back to pass the torch. It worked for Force Awakens. It worked for Creed. It can work here.

I don’t need that. As long as they don’t kill them offscreen in some stupid way like they did with Will Smith in Independence Day, I’ll be satisfied.

If it's set in the same continuity as the first two, then yeah, I'd expect a few familiar faces to show up.

Hopefully longer than a stupid ''nod nod wink wink'' cameo.

I haven't really dug too deep here, but these are my rough ideas for the type of actors they should get-

The Leader (Venkman):
A Sterling K Brown Type- Someone with acting chops who can sell the stakes and bring a bit of gravitas, but who can surprise the s*** out of audiences with their comedic abilities

The Enthusiast (Stantz):
An Amy Poehler Type- High energy comedy actress who is immensely likeable and can make the job seem like the coolest thing ever

The Techie (Spengler):
A Jameela Jamil Type- Intelligent but remarkably funny in an understated way, not constantly mugging for the camera like Kate McKinnon

The Journeyman (Zedemore):
A Paul Rudd type- An actor with range who's good at the loveable but reluctant dimwit, the everyman just doin it for a paycheck

Give Akroyd and Hudson decent roles, get Annie Potts back as the now-manager of the GBs, let Murray have his Ghost-Venkman cameo, maybe Dana Barrett and Oscar put in an appearance at the same time...idk, so many possibilities... but I certainly don't envy the casting directors
Casting is definitely going to be a formidable task for this one. It is pretty perfect timing though, with Moranis coming out of retirement. I would love it if he's actually the one who interacts with the new team the most, because the other Ghostbusters are missing. I think there's some great potential to integrate a tribute to Ramis as a part of the story of the old team.

Just spitballing ideas for the new leads, I definitely think they should avoid doing "New Venkman", "New Spengler", etc. The characters should stand on their own and form a unique and different team, rather than just new faces for the old characters. As of today, I choose...

MV5BOTRjNjBiOTYtZWUwYi00NzcyLTlmNmEtYzNkYjA5ZTg4ZjE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTg0NDAxMDE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
220px-Alia_Shawkat_SXSW_2016.jpg
MV5BMTQyNjUzMDk5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk0Nzk5Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BN2NkY2Y4OTktNTQ4Ni00YjU5LThhZWItNGJhYzRlOWFkOTViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY3NzQ2Mzc@._V1_UY317_CR15,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Jason Mitchell - The Would Be Leader, Winston's son, Starts out in it for the fame
Alia Shawkat - The Informed, Egon's daughter, Studies all manner of occult and the supernatural, Only one who understands the gravity of the work
Christopher Mintz-Plasse - The Outsider, Brought in for tech building but wants nothing to do with "the ghost stuff"
Kelly Marie Tran - The Enthusiast, Worships the ground the original team walked on

What's this going to be rated? The first movie had quite a bit of low-key raunch in it, but with teenagers as the main characters this sounds like it's going to be aimed at a younger audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da1punisher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"