Jayme Lawson is Bella Reál

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score
She's a new cast member so she deserves her own thread.
The Batman Just Added an Intriguing New Character

io9 has learned Lawson is playing a character named Bella, “a grassroots political candidate running for office in Gotham.”

Assuming this is true, the "Bella" name could still be a codename and not the name of the actual character, and Barbara Gordon has a history in politics in the comics, so she could still be playing Barbara.

She's a new cast member so she deserves her own thread.
The Batman Just Added an Intriguing New Character

Assuming this is true, the "Bella" name could still be a codename and not the name of the actual character, and Barbara Gordon has a history in politics in the comics, so she could still be playing Barbara.

I wonder if that’s a joke of some sort? Wasn’t Bella the name of Kristin Stewart’s character in the Twilight movies she did with Pattinson...?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Bella isn't exactly your average "Jane". She might be Barbara after all. Now, if she's Barbara, why not just say so? And if she's a new character, who could it be that her name needs to be kept under wraps?

Maybe she really is called Bella in the film :funny:

Maybe she'll be playing the assistant to Penguin who has about 3 seconds screentime

Wasn't Collider the one that declined badly in the last few years?

I'm still hoping Barbara will be played by a Latino or us Asians, since neither has been represented and Matt seems to want diversity for the film, and Batgirl will be her own franchise surely, so hoping for someone more experienced and proven talent in some way...

upload_2019-11-11_19-43-50.png

A young female "grassroots political candidate". That seems like a very topical role given the young women like AOC and others coming into our national politics in the Age of Trump.

This character could also be running for DA to replace Harvey Dent after he turned into Two-Face. Kind of similar to that character from Batman Dark Victory.

Maybe she'll be playing the assistant to Penguin who has about 3 seconds screentime

Wasn't Collider the one that declined badly in the last few years?

The "Bella, a grassroots candidate running for office in Gotham" part of the story isn't from Collider, it's from io9. That said, as far as Collider goes, I'd say the decline is in their YouTube content with most of their old hosts having left. Their scoops have actually become generally quite solid in recent years since Sneider joined the crew.

As for the character herself, if io9's core info is correct, my guess is that "Bella" will either be one of the key murder victims or a critical person of interest at the heart of the case. The detail of there being an election happening in Gotham seems to be a big clue to part of the narrative IMO.

Also if she's running a grassroots campaign as the report claims, I'd wager that it's far more likely she's running against Penguin, rather than be his assistant. This character description made me think of Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and her rapid rise from being a bartender to becoming one of the most prominent voices in Congress after running a grassroots campaign in her district in New York City last year.

View attachment 29848

A young female "grassroots political candidate". That seems like a very topical role given the young women like AOC and others coming into our national politics in the Age of Trump.

This character could also be running for DA to replace Harvey Dent after he turned into Two-Face. Kind of similar to that character from Batman Dark Victory.

Nailed it on the head IMO. Though she could also be a young, well-intended candidate attempting to campaign against a blatantly corrupt and incumbent Mayor Oswald Cobblepot. With the rumors of Reeves tapping into Batman: Earth One for influence on the Batsuit and possibly the characterization of Alfred, maybe he's also incorporating that comic's take on Penguin into his universe?

View attachment 29848

She's waaaay too young to be running for DA.

She's waaaay too young to be running for DA.

Well, if the info about her character is accurate, she's running for some important political position in Gotham. The easy guesses are either Mayor or DA.

Also while we know that Jayme Lawson is too young to be running for DA, we don't know the exact age of her character. She could easily be playing someone who's a few years older than her.

Well, if the info about her character is accurate, she's running for some important political position in Gotham. The easy guesses are either Mayor or DA.

Also while we know that Jayme Lawson is too young to be running for DA, we don't know the exact age of her character. She could easily be playing someone who's a few years older than her.
My guess is she's running for senator or some position like that. That'd make more sense.

My guess is she's running for senator or some position like that. That'd make more sense.

Definitely not. If you think she's too young to run for District Attorney, she's definitely too young for a Senator. :funny:

Though I suppose if Reeves is actually opting to make a character modeled after AOC, this "Bella" could be running for a Representative Congressman spot for one of Gotham's districts. But I'd still put more money her running for either Mayor or District Attorney, especially since we know both Penguin and Harvey Dent are in the film.

I'll say Representative Congresswoman. I'm kinda skeptical to Penguin or Dent having anything to do with this at all. I know everyone is assuming she's running against Penguin or something but I really don't think so.

I dont know, I cant really buy her as DA or Mayor.

I'll say Representative Congresswoman. I'm kinda skeptical to Penguin or Dent having anything to do with this at all.

I dont know, I cant really buy her as DA or Mayor.

I'm leaning towards her running for Mayor, because while I do find her to be very young for either DA or Mayor, we know for a fact that Penguin is one of the main villains in the film and that Batman is trying to solve a big "Whodunnit?" mystery. And while it seems very likely that Riddler will be the main culprit/killer that Bruce is tracking down, I would wager that Penguin has his hands involved in the matter one way or another.

This election taking place in the film seems like a big red flag to me, especially with the other previous Earth One influences we've heard about. It gives Penguin a motive and we can start to potentially see how he'd fit into the movie a bit.

Well Barbara did run for the police commissioner position in Lego Batman, lol. So she could still be Barbara, running for some election in Gotham. Whispers lost in translation.

Head Girl of her high school? Not unusual for a 19 y/o to play a 17, 18 y/o in movies. Ha.

Though I think she's still a minor character

Well Barbara did run for the police commissioner position in Lego Batman, lol. So she could still be Barbara, running for some election in Gotham. Whispers lost in translation.

Head Girl of her high school? Not unusual for a 19 y/o to play a 17, 18 y/o in movies. Ha.

Though I think she's still a minor character

My money is on her being a small role (especially if it turns out she's one of the murder victims), but one that's pretty pivotal to the case Bruce is trying to solve.

I'm leaning towards her running for Mayor, because while I do find her to be very young for either DA or Mayor, we know for a fact that Penguin is one of the main villains in the film and that Batman is trying to solve a big "Whodunnit?" mystery. And while it seems very likely that Riddler will be the main culprit/killer that Bruce is tracking down, I would wager that Penguin has his hands involved in the matter one way or another.

This election taking place in the film seems like a big red flag to me, especially with the other previous Earth One influences we've heard about. It gives Penguin a motive and we can start to potentially see how he'd fit into the movie a bit.
I think that her presence will definitely have an impact on the movie but I don't think that is one as obvious as "Penguin or Two Face are running against her!" I think the connection will be different. She can just be someone, like AoC, running for representative but that's gaining an extreme amount of support to make her a relevant public figure.

Like I said, I reaaaally can't buy her as DA or Mayor. I feel they'd have cast a little bit older if that was the case

I think that her presence will definitely have an impact on the movie but I don't think that is one as obvious as "Penguin or Two Face are running against her!" I think the connection will be different. She can just be someone, like AoC, running for representative but that's gaining an extreme amount of support to make her a relevant public figure.

Like I said, I reaaaally can't buy her as DA or Mayor. I feel they'd have cast a little bit older if that was the case

Possibly, but whatever this election is, I'd wager on it being a key part of the case Bruce is trying to crack. The more we try to shy away from the more obvious political positions she could be running for to justify how young she is, like a Representative, the less it seems likely to have anything to do with immediate situations happening in Gotham City. It just feels off to me, especially when we know that a character that's been depicted with having political aspirations in the past like Penguin is in the film.

Granted, I need to do more research on other small-scaled political positions she could be running for on a city level.

I think a codename is a real possibility here and she ends up really being Barbara.

Possibly, but whatever this election is, I'd wager on it being a key part of the case Bruce is trying to crack. The more we try to shy away from the more obvious political positions she could be running for to justify how young she is, like a Representative, the less it seems likely to have anything to do with immediate situations happening in Gotham City. It just feels off to me, especially when we know that a character that's been depicted with having political aspirations in the past like Penguin is in the film.

Granted, I need to do more research on other small-scaled political positions she could be running for on a city level.
Maybe she's connected to the Falcones or something.

Or maybe she's indeed Barbara Gordon.

I'd sooner put money down on her being Barbara than her working for the Falcones or Penguin, provided that the "grassroots politician" detail is accurate.

But for now, I'm leaning more towards her being an original character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"