Jean Grey to return from the dead... Again!

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by KevanG, Sep 15, 2017.

1. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

The Queen is back!

3. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

The Goblin Queen is still dead. She was Cyclops's first wife. His second was Phoenix. :o

4. extra skater

extra skater The Enforcer

I like to think there's different canons in comics timeline (once it never ends) and to me one of X-Men canons ended in the Phoenix original death. That was one of the greatest moments. But man, this right here...

Indeed, that's what I think of Jean! :woot:

Who's your fave fem X-Man, buddy?

5. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

This is a huge deal for me. She's my favourite character and was killed off when I was 14. Her legacy has loomed over the other X-men for 16 years, so everything will change when she comes back (a lot already did when teen Jean came to the present). As much as I like teen Jean and enjoy her comic, nothing compares to adult Jean who is a product of her long history and epic relationships integral to the X-mythos. Jean's comic and Generations has made me want to read that Jean again.

I wonder how they will do it. Canonically, she's been the White Hot Phoenix of the Crown all this time. Will she be reborn in a Phoenix Egg, with no memories of her time as a god and unaware of the huge changes to the X-men? Will she come back knowing everything already with some kind of mission? What will happen to teen Jean's status quo?

Marvel has trolled fans hard with the return of Jean for years. I'm still cautious there will be a twist and I'll be disappointed.

6. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

Classic X-Men - Psylocke

80's/90's X-Men - Rogue

Recent X-Men - Emma. I'm sticking with that decision. :p

Emma and Scott were a badass couple and I felt they had a hell of a lot more chemistry than him and Jean ever did. Hell, look at Astonishing X-Men up to the end of Breakworld. They were frigging amazing together and everything up to AvX (which sucked on every level) they were actually fun and witty.

7. CB Fan

CB Fan The Watcher

About Damn Time! I've been waiting for this ever since Messiah Complex. I hope that she'll decide to travel the galaxy as Phoenix as she's bigger than earth.

8. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I thought there was a Maddie clone running around.

Not the alt universe Maddie seen in X-men Blue.

9. psylockolussus

I was referring to the Queen that is Jean Phoenix Christ!

10. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Jesus... Jean should have stayed dead THE FIRST TIME. This is beating a dead horse, cremating the remains, adding the ashes to oats, feeding them to another horse and then beating that one to death and putting the body into a stew pot, liquefying it and then taking the liquid and injecting it into another horse who is again beat to death, this corpse is then frozen in liquid nitrogen, shattered, broken down into a fine powder which is then scattered over an entire heard of horses who are then lead into a canyon where a man made avalanche crushed them all.

Jean has no personality. There is nothing interesting about her other than all this over the top suffering which again, is all flavorless since she's never been defined as a character with anything approaching actual human reactions. She started out as a plot device and you know what, even in the Claremont days, perhaps the best for the character in terms of integral importance STILL was a bland and uninteresting Macguffin at the end of the day.

I mean... I know her codename is Phoenix but c'mon... This takes "lather, rinse and repeat" to a whole new level.

11. zenith16

zenith16 Well-Known Member

well, she's linked to a cosmic being based on a creature that will always come back from the ashes/ death. she living up to the name. if people really hate that fact then it's time to make the Phoenix none extant. otherwise people want her to keep that code name and be linked to that creature of cosmic origin then it is as it should be, as long as she's linked to it. same should go with Thor and other characters linked to myth etc, if it's that much of problem. and those gods consider the Phoenix and the celestial's
    above them in the4 MU since MU the celestials gave human's powers in the universe lore.

other it's weird to be seeing that complaint. which I saw online in early 2000 's and it still weird to see it. I'm sorry to say. and especially since other sci-fi have been copying it as well.

And they do well in the greatest hits of stories as well in other medium 's., they have characters That have less of a reason to come back from the dead. but still do and other mediums do fine. her comebacks make's senece considering what she's linked to.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  12. psylockolussus

Hopefully this should end the current presence of other jean knock offs in the comics like Prestige and time displaced Jean. While Quentin should just be Quentin without the Phoenix non sense.

13. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

Thats not true. Madelyne is very much alive. There's a version of her currently in Blue

[​IMG]

and the original, Scott's wife wast last seen in X-men v4

[​IMG]

14. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

So now there's two of her running around?

****'s sake, comics. Give me some breathing room when you get multiple different versions of previously dead people running around.

Maybe them, Emma and Jean can all go make out on Cyclops's grave this time around.

15. Havok83

Dont you mean Jeans? There will be two of them with Legacy...lol

16. KevanG

KevanG Pragmatic Villain

Alright then, all FIVE of them can go make out on Scott's grave.

Be kinda weird since four are genetically the same person but this was the same team that had Kurt get excited when he found out his girlfriend was actually his sister.

[​IMG]

Peter is the only one even slightly horrified.

17. random_havoc

random_havoc The Golden Guardian

I don't think people would mind as much if it weren't for the fact that Marvel has all of their main characters die and be resurrected so frequently that we're all sick of it now no matter which character it is. I can probably name more X-Men that have died and come back than have never died at all. It's so bad with Marvel that they had Ms Marvel die during Dark Reign and then return like 2 issues later.

18. random_havoc

random_havoc The Golden Guardian

Oh man, it's drawn by Leinil Yu!? I hate his artwork! Dangit Marvel why do you keep using him

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  19. Havok83

https://www.newsarama.com/36438-the-original-jean-grey-returns-in-phoenix-resurrection.html

Get hyped
    [​IMG]

20. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

This actually sounds like it's delivering everything I've wanted.

21. X Knight

X Knight Hope

so a dead comic book character is being brought back to life.

I'm shocked!! shocked I tell you!!!

22. geetard

geetard Rebirth

So, that's the Legacy news that Marvel teased which would break the internet? Eh...

23. Havok83

Jean leading the team

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. psylockolussus

Old Man Logan spoils the cover for me, but it does feel like a Classic X-Men line up!

25. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

Phoenix Resurrection is getting some beautiful covers and I hope she actually is leading that team. Am I the only one who prefers OML to normal Logan?