Jean's true love: Scott or Logan?

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by The Batman, Feb 28, 2006.

?

Jean's true love?

1. Scott

2. Logan

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. weatherwitch Registered

How exactly? I could post a dozen pictures of Jean kissing Scott. Or Logan kissing...well about a dozen different women. A kiss does not mean unending, everlasting love. A kiss means attraction.

2. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Wasn't Logan's true love Mariko, anyway?

3. WalkingDead Registered

Scott.

Sure she's attracted to Logan and would probably have sex with him a good many times, if it weren't for Scott. But overall, I don't think the relationship between Logan and Jean could last for a very long time. I don't think the emotional bonds are there for it.

4. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Not that Jean & Scott's emotional bonds have done jack-diddly lately...

5. WalkingDead Registered

I guess so...*shrugs* Maybe Jean was never meant to be with anyone. *shrugs again*

Other than reading Astonishing X-Men 1-8 and Ultimate X-Men 1-49, I haven't read X-Men comics since beginning 2002. I'm currently trying to catch up on all I've missed, but it seems hopeless really.

6. Logan Howlett Registered

Honestly Ive avoided posting here because I know that The Batman is gona have another piss fit to whatever I have to say, but how can Scott be right for her with as unfaithfull as he was to her? And now that shes dead hes bangin away on Emma Frost whom by the way is the same person he cheated on her with!

7. pyromaniac Registered

:)

Jean's had feelings for Logan while when with Scott, and was sexually intrigued by the former on more than one occasion.

I'd have to say Jean got 'there first'. Scott was the more devoted of the two, but in the end of the day - they genuinely love each other.

They're the archetypal Xmen's couple.

You really don't understand the meaning of context, as far as the films are concerned, X3 in particular. Care to tell me if you know the whole story?

8. Red Mask Human Killing Machine

Don't see a point to it. She'll outlive them all and find herself a new boy toy.

9. megawatt Registered

My snarky answer...Jean's true love is Jean but deep down I think it's Scott.

Like she said in the movie...girls flirt with the bad guys and take the good guys home to meet mom and dad.

10. Boba_Fett_123 Registered

You're right. Mostly because that would be a completely different question.

11. Victor Creed Registered

To me that doesn't really necessarily mean love though, just stability. Logan's got what seems to be an endless list of enemies, and while Jean can hold her own, why the hell would she want to constantly have to deal with the **** Logan gets into.

Like was said before, she may not love either one of them. She might just be more comfortable with Cyclops and is just waitin til they get offed to get with someone else, heh. Women.

12. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Reminds me of that Chris Rock joke about women in relationships...

'Lord, take away my man. Kill him now, while I still look good and can get somebody new. NOW! STRIKE HIM!'

...not an exact quote...

13. Gambits' Ace Weapon of Choice

its gotta be cyke its not even close, only wolverine fanatics would back him up in this poll, hell they'd probably vote for him if the poll was: who's more intelligent, wolverine or reed richards

14. WalkingDead Registered

You know something...
    To me personally, that statement, while might be true, just bothers me to know end. Why stay with someone if you don't really love them? Stickign wit hsomeone just cause of the occassional emotional support and stability is such crap to me. I mean be with someone you love, not force yourself to love the one you're with.

15. Jennifer Walters Attorney at Law

Don't anyone even use the Emma relationship as a thing Scott did for himself. Jean PUSHED him into that mentally herself.

16. Victor Creed Registered

I think it's stupid too, yet people do that in real life, so why not in a comic book?

After reading Origins for Wolverine, Ive thought that every major character like that should have a backstory explaining their past. I'd like to see one on Cyclops really, as I am not a fan but would like to know more about how he has gotten his leadership abilities and such. That really doesnt have anything to do with their love, but just thought I would mention that.

17. WalkingDead Registered

Well I meant that in both comics and particularly in real life...
    It's just such crap. Sticking it out wit hsomeone you don't truly love is such bulls***.
    I don't mean sticking it out as in dealing with hard times with your loved one, I mean forcing yourself to stay with someone, when you don't actually love them.

18. Victor Creed Registered

Oh yea, I hear ya, it's a damn waste of time.

19. rjb182 Jedi Gnat

Ramble incoming...

I'm a big Wolverine fan, but I'd have to say the answer is Scott. Well, actually, it is and it isn't...

I tend to think Logan was hard-pressed just to control his inner berserker when Xavier first tagged him (I mean, check out the early issues after Giant-Size #1... the man's barely sane, let alone civil). His infatuation with Jean was an anchor which he used to slowly pull himself back to humanity. As his sense of honor asserted itself, so did his realization that she belonged to someone else and it just wasn't going to happen with him.

As crushes go, it was a powerful one, and like many of the "if only..." moments in our lives, it stuck with him and influenced his behavior for a long time, especially when he was perceptive enough to notice that Scott didn't always treat her right-- or at least, not the way Logan might have treated her. But I'm not sure it was ever really "love," even from his perspective.

From hers, I can buy that Jean was mildly attracted to Logan and the freedom he represented... Jean's life as an X-Man was often one of holding in her power, fearing what it might do, and Logan's the ultimate "devil may care, let 'er rip" personality. They fought with the same demons, besides which Jean was not immune to Logan's (somewhat rough) charisma. But I don't think she ever saw herself with him in anything but her most idle fantasies.

Jean and Scott?

Well, from one perspective, they were THE love story of the X-Men. I mean, the Phoenix saga? There's a tragedy there that only really works if it's True Love, the depth of which has been demonstrated time and again. And yet...

I don't know if you've noticed, but Cyke really does tend to tread upon the women in his life. Forget Emma Frost-- what about Madelyne, his wife of over a year while Jean was dead, cast aside with hardly a thought when she returned? Sure, she was a clone, and that changes the situation... sorta. But the fact remains, Scott has a history of doing pretty much the same thing he did to Jean at the end. Like many people who hold their emotions tightly in check, he tends to save 'em up until they boil over and he does something selfish, thoughtless and/or stupid. I can empathize with that tendency, but not excuse it.

I'm not saying Scott didn't love Jean, mind you. I'm just saying he was bad at it.

Jean, for her part, was a schoolgirl when she came to the X-Men... a schoolgirl with a crush that deepened into love, probably further and faster for her than for him. Actually, if *not* for their star-crossed relationship, I think Scott & Jean might have tried it for a little while, decided it didn't work, and moved on... but fate put so many mountains in their path and they made so many heroic efforts to overcome them, they almost couldn't help but love each other.

So what's the verdict?

Logan, for all his rough edges, could probably make a better life for Jean than Scott could, if only because he's more willing to openly express his feelings for her. But that really doesn't matter-- because they BOTH know it'll always be Scott, just as Emma (another character I can't help but like, if only 'cause she gets all the best lines) knows on some level that it'll always be Jean.

So we're left with a situation where Logan lost what he thought he wanted and Scott's stuck with his second choice because he wasn't bright enough to hold onto a good deal and Jean never really got treated the way she deserved by either of 'em and Emma resents the whole thing. That's life. It's imperfect. We get what we choose, not what's best for us.

But if the world WAS fair for a couple of days, just for a change, it'd be Jean and Scott.

20. WalkingDead Registered

Best Perspective on this in the whole damned thread...I agree with every single word.

Rock on and Welcome to the Boards!!

21. The Batman The Dark Knight

An awesome first post.

22. The Batman The Dark Knight

IMO, I think if Mariko were still alive, Logan wouldve eventually moved on from Jean and make a life with mariko...

23. WalkingDead Registered

Yeah, he would have. Mariko, IMO, was "THE woman" for Logan. But that's over with.

24. The Batman The Dark Knight

Yes, it is, sadly. I truly feel bad for logan and scott. Scott cant control his emotions, which makes him come off as a cold hearted bastard, and when logan falls in love with someone, they're either taken or die on him....

25. LittleMissVixen Registered

True Love = Scott
    True Lust = Logan