Comics Jean's true love: Scott or Logan?

So let us all remember this:
Jean loves an emotionally cut-off pretty boy who can't even raise his own child,
And she'll totally F a short, stubby, hairy little man with bad hair and an impulse control problem.

Manic said:
Jean loves an emotionally cut-off pretty boy who can't even raise his own child,
And she'll totally F a short, stubby, hairy little man with bad hair and an impulse control problem.

:D That's brilliant.

Anyway, it's obviously Scott. Jean loves Logan as a friend and finds him attractive but that's it. If/when Jean comes back her relationship with Logan may grow into something more, but right now her true love is Scott.

Manic said:

So just how screwed up is Jean? :eek:

rjb182 said:
Ramble incoming...

I'm a big Wolverine fan, but I'd have to say the answer is Scott. Well, actually, it is and it isn't...

I tend to think Logan was hard-pressed just to control his inner berserker when Xavier first tagged him (I mean, check out the early issues after Giant-Size #1... the man's barely sane, let alone civil). His infatuation with Jean was an anchor which he used to slowly pull himself back to humanity. As his sense of honor asserted itself, so did his realization that she belonged to someone else and it just wasn't going to happen with him.

As crushes go, it was a powerful one, and like many of the "if only..." moments in our lives, it stuck with him and influenced his behavior for a long time, especially when he was perceptive enough to notice that Scott didn't always treat her right-- or at least, not the way Logan might have treated her. But I'm not sure it was ever really "love," even from his perspective.

From hers, I can buy that Jean was mildly attracted to Logan and the freedom he represented... Jean's life as an X-Man was often one of holding in her power, fearing what it might do, and Logan's the ultimate "devil may care, let 'er rip" personality. They fought with the same demons, besides which Jean was not immune to Logan's (somewhat rough) charisma. But I don't think she ever saw herself with him in anything but her most idle fantasies.

Jean and Scott?

Well, from one perspective, they were THE love story of the X-Men. I mean, the Phoenix saga? There's a tragedy there that only really works if it's True Love, the depth of which has been demonstrated time and again. And yet...

I don't know if you've noticed, but Cyke really does tend to tread upon the women in his life. Forget Emma Frost-- what about Madelyne, his wife of over a year while Jean was dead, cast aside with hardly a thought when she returned? Sure, she was a clone, and that changes the situation... sorta. But the fact remains, Scott has a history of doing pretty much the same thing he did to Jean at the end. Like many people who hold their emotions tightly in check, he tends to save 'em up until they boil over and he does something selfish, thoughtless and/or stupid. I can empathize with that tendency, but not excuse it.

I'm not saying Scott didn't love Jean, mind you. I'm just saying he was bad at it.

Jean, for her part, was a schoolgirl when she came to the X-Men... a schoolgirl with a crush that deepened into love, probably further and faster for her than for him. Actually, if *not* for their star-crossed relationship, I think Scott & Jean might have tried it for a little while, decided it didn't work, and moved on... but fate put so many mountains in their path and they made so many heroic efforts to overcome them, they almost couldn't help but love each other.

So what's the verdict?

Logan, for all his rough edges, could probably make a better life for Jean than Scott could, if only because he's more willing to openly express his feelings for her. But that really doesn't matter-- because they BOTH know it'll always be Scott, just as Emma (another character I can't help but like, if only 'cause she gets all the best lines) knows on some level that it'll always be Jean.

So we're left with a situation where Logan lost what he thought he wanted and Scott's stuck with his second choice because he wasn't bright enough to hold onto a good deal and Jean never really got treated the way she deserved by either of 'em and Emma resents the whole thing. That's life. It's imperfect. We get what we choose, not what's best for us.

But if the world WAS fair for a couple of days, just for a change, it'd be Jean and Scott.
Welcome. That was perfectly said, and I agree.

I think Jean's true love has always been Scott however, I am angry about how his character is written. I do not like the fact that Scott is never alone. What I mean is Scott always has a available female at his disposal whenever Jean is written out or has died. I am just tired of Scott being betrayed as a man who can attract any type of woman. For once I would like to see a woman hurt his male ego. Maybe I will be able to see this whenever marvel decides to write Jean back into the comics.

Thanks for the welcomes, I'm glad so many enjoyed the post.

I'll, um... try to keep my future posts a bit shorter, in general. ;)

UGH! I hate this topic...

Just some points everyone always seems to forget...

- Up until the first movie came out Jean had never showed interest in Wolvie, and even his one-time crush had changed into a friendly love and respect.

- Scott never cheated on Jean until Grant Morrison turned the X-men world on its ear, re-writing Jean's character into the unattainable Phoenix and writing Scott out of character.

- After Jean's first resurection she spent years seperated from Cyke because she didn't want to jump into something again without being Positive of Her Feelings. Then she spent another few years being sure she wanted to be married to Scott forever.

- During their honeymoon, Scott and Jean were transported into the future, where they spent over a decade together raising Cable, and they were happy alone together.

- Oh, and after he "died" when he merged with Apocolypse, Jean never stopped searching for Scott to save his life. She succeeded, then Morrison happened.

Add these facts to the obvious ones, like how Wolverine has had a new true love every two minutes, and in fact was going to be married to Mariko long after meeting Jean, This should not be any Discussion.

Bottoms22 said:
UGH! I hate this topic...

Just some points everyone always seems to forget...

- Up until the first movie came out Jean had never showed interest in Wolvie, and even his one-time crush had changed into a friendly love and respect.

Actually I think there is an issue of Classic X-Men taking place during the team's first night where Jean states one of the reasons for her leaving is that she's somewhat attracted to Logan, too...

But I don't disagree with the central idea that too much has been made of Jean's feelings for Logan. And the movie did change things around a bit-- probably because their casting of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine made him more dashing and appealing than Cyclops, effectively reversing their roles...

- Scott never cheated on Jean until Grant Morrison turned the X-men world on its ear, re-writing Jean's character into the unattainable Phoenix and writing Scott out of character.

Wasn't Scott's change explained as being due to Apocalypse? We can debate whether it was a good idea to pull a "Hi, honey, I'm back from the dead and guess what? My brain's part super-villain now!" But it's not like the *old* Scott changed... something happened that brought different (as I said, not really new) aspects of his personality to the fore).

*paragraph I agree with snipped*

- During their honeymoon, Scott and Jean were transported into the future, where they spent over a decade together raising Cable, and they were happy alone together.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between living a quiet life together and succeeding as a super-couple. Heck, Batman and Catwoman could probably be happy if they could live a simple life away from the modern world with nothing to distract them from each other. Doesn't necessarily mean they'd ever work in the Real World, particularly the Real World With Spandex Added.

*snip, but agreed again, about Jean's devotion to Scott*

Add these facts to the obvious ones, like how Wolverine has had a new true love every two minutes, and in fact was going to be married to Mariko long after meeting Jean, This should not be any Discussion.

But loving one person does not always preclude having feelings for another. If it did, two-thirds of us would probably still be with our first loves. I dunno whether Wolvie's true love was Mariko or Rose or whether he even has one... actually, it might just be that the poor guy's wounded-samurai bit precludes his ever being *really* happy with anyone. (Though I'd like to see a storyline sometime where Wolvie gets into a stable, happy relationship for a while... just for the novelty, I mean.) He did THINK it was Jean for a while, and we're really dealing with people's perceptions here...

Basically, I agree with you. I just don't think it's simple, and therefore it's a fun discussion. Of course, I'm new to this board and haven't sat through the discussion 10 or 12 times yet, so YMMV... :)

I think Morrison wrote Scott out of character to a certain extent, but cheating on Jean with Emma wouldn't be the first time Scott up and ignored his marital vows. Remember Maddelyne? Scott is just a terrible husband, plain and simple.

The Jean-Logan attraction has been around since Logan first became an X-Men. This is not something that the movie created out of the blue. Although she certainly refused him at every juncture (although they did kiss once while she was with X-Factor), there was attraction from her side as well.

The Batman said:
Yes, it is, sadly. I truly feel bad for logan and scott. Scott cant control his emotions, which makes him come off as a cold hearted bastard, and when logan falls in love with someone, they're either taken or die on him....

Yea that whole healing factor letting him live for so long doesn't help either, lol. Xavier needs to give both them SOBs some major therapy. :)

Xavier's got his own problems...whether its lusting after jean himself, or holding some deep dark secret that makes the x-men pissed off at him...

Jean sholud be with no one other that short canadain freak,cyclops is far better off with that fine @ss beautiful blonde vixen.Emma takes control of the situations,she found the best x-man and got the best x-man,and now she headmisterss of the school with scott,
Let jean come back as phoenix and have a relationship with a hairy, dirty,smelly,short,immigrant.
bad place scott's an american!!!
Logan/patch/james/weaponx is (french)canadian

all of the x-men respect and trust cyclops!!
most of the x-men cant stand wolverine-even xavier!!!
Jean loves wolverine.
wolverine would get jean and be happy,but see cyclops with emma and try to take away emma from scott!!
evil bastard!!!!
Wolverine must die!!!

I love you OOKAMI!!!!!

comicbookmaster said:
Jean sholud be with no one other that short canadain freak,cyclops is far better off with that fine @ss beautiful blonde vixen.Emma takes control of the situations,she found the best x-man and got the best x-man,and now she headmisterss of the school with scott,
Let jean come back as phoenix and have a relationship with a hairy, dirty,smelly,short,immigrant.
bad place scott's an american!!!
Logan/patch/james/weaponx is (french)canadian

all of the x-men respect and trust cyclops!!
most of the x-men cant stand wolverine-even xavier!!!
Jean loves wolverine.
wolverine would get jean and be happy,but see cyclops with emma and try to take away emma from scott!!
evil bastard!!!!
Wolverine must die!!!

I love you OOKAMI!!!!!
That whole post, not only for its lack of anything useful to say, was the most horrible grammar disaster I have ever seen. Right now, if you were the representation of America, I wish I was an immigrant.

Victor Creed said:
That whole post, not only for its lack of anything useful to say, was the most horrible grammar disaster I have ever seen. Right now, if you were the representation of America, I wish I was an immigrant.
*ahem*
Victor Creed w/corrections said:
That whole post, not only for its lack of anything useful to say, was the most horrible grammatical disaster I have ever seen. Right now, if you were the representation of America, I'd wish I was an immigrant.

Manic said:

What's your point? Grammatical is a word, genius.

And, I'd would've been a perfectly acceptable usage because I said that IF he were representing America I'd wish I was an immigrant. I'd is a contraction, it's a grammatical tool.:)

Allow me to highlight what you originally said...

I was the one who added the 'd and changed grammar to grammatical.

You can't say "if you were X, I wish Y." You changed tense in the middle of the sentence. It should be "if you were X, I would wish Y." I'm well aware that I'd is a contration, but you didn't use it.

Manic said:
Allow me to highlight what you originally said...

I was the one who added the 'd and changed grammar to grammatical.

You can't say "if you were X, I wish Y." You changed tense in the middle of the sentence. It should be "if you were X, I would wish Y." I'm well aware that I'd is a contration, but you didn't use it.

Wow, yer right I apologize. :eek: Guess that's what happens when you don't check over what you type before you post it, lol. I'm gonna go cry in the corner now. Never again will I talk on the phone while on the boards.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Jean loves Scott. But she lusts for Logan.

Ditto. The repressed dork wins everytime (eventually). Though not if you read the mess that is 'The End'.

I thought the name of this thread was "Scott's true love: Jean or Logan?" for a second. Like that would be any contest, Scott's been harboring perverse sexual lust for Logan for years.

Despite romantic trysts involving Logan, Emma, or any other characters, Marvel makes a point of Jean and Scott getting together in every single incarnation of X-Men.

Jean and Scott.

Fenryr said:
I thought the name of this thread was "Scott's true love: Jean or Logan?" for a second. Like that would be any contest, Scott's been harboring perverse sexual lust for Logan for years.
Why do you think he can't kick Logan out of the X-Men?

does anybody remember what comic book had wolverine saying something to jean about dont say things that would get you in trouble or something, right when she is about to say she still cares for him? i know thats prob not a good description of the scene. i think it was happening right before it was possible they could die from something. i thought it was from ultimate extinction, but i cant find it in there. im pretty sure its in an ultimate book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"