Jeff Bezos is the richest person in history

Playing that ridiculous game, whoever takes his job must now quit so he can be hired instead because that person took moviedoors opportunity. I don't see too many billionaires giving up their job or position so someone else can also become a billionaire.

What exactly do you mean by too much power? How does the government contribute to income inequality?

I'll give the example of farm subsidies in the U.S.. Taxpayer money given to farmers, a large part of which is given to farmers earning 150,000 or more a year and some subsidies going to farmers who don't actually grow a single crop. So families making an average fifty thousand a year supporting rich farmers backed by the government.

Backed by the government isn't really the right term. They're backed by powerful lobby groups who know how to pay off the right people.

I think the main thing with all of this is that no politician should ever be allowed to take money from private groups, in any way. And this gets tough because donors will funnel money into candidates' charities to avoid it looking like a payoff. Candidates need to be audited like hell and anyone who has received a significant amount of money from a private group should be disqualified. More needs to be done so that the rich can't put their puppets in the government.

Backed by the government isn't really the right term. They're backed by powerful lobby groups who know how to pay off the right people.

I think the main thing with all of this is that no politician should ever be allowed to take money from private groups, in any way. And this gets tough because donors will funnel money into candidates' charities to avoid it looking like a payoff. Candidates need to be audited like hell and anyone who has received a significant amount of money from a private group should be disqualified. More needs to be done so that the rich can't put their puppets in the government.

The lobbying group cannot take someones money by force but the government can. If the government followed the Constitution they'd see they have no business subsidizing farmers. They were successful at that until the 1930s. Now it's a burden on the taxpayer of 20 Billion dollars a year. So I definitely agree with lobbying being an issue but it starts with government overstepping its bounds.

...and because rich *******s like Jeff Bezos have utterly broken the system, horded all the wealth, and convinced people that it's perfectly okay to be greedy.

It is OK to make a lot of money for providing, even just running, a service a lot of people like and use and are willing to pay for.

Do you not use Amazon, think others shouldn't use it, or think it or Bezos shouldn't make a lot of money even though a lot of people do use it for their benefit?

Jeff Bezos apparently gained 20 lb of muscle and is pretty jacked now. That is pretty impressive but annoying at the same time!. I love how South Park rips on him big time!

My post sounds like a trump tweet. Rambling and non-sensical.... SAD

yes it does.

It is OK to make a lot of money for providing, even just running, a service a lot of people like and use and are willing to pay for.
Yes, it is okay to make a lot of money. But there's a lot of money, and then there's 140 billion dollars. That is an inconceivable amount of money.

Here's some context.

A million seconds is roughly 11 days.

A billion seconds is about 31 years.

140 billion is 4,340 years.

When the hell is enough enough?

Do you not use Amazon, think others shouldn't use it, or think it or Bezos shouldn't make a lot of money even though a lot of people do use it for their benefit?
Like I already said, it's not about boycott at this point; it's about regulation that prevents that kind of hoarding when even the very people you employ have to be on food stamps. The point is, Bezos shouldn't be one of a tiny tiny handful of people that make good money just because he doesn't want the people that enable his operations to dip into his personal wealth. That's wrong.

Jeff Bezos apparently gained 20 lb of muscle and is pretty jacked now. That is pretty impressive but annoying at the same time!. I love how South Park rips on him big time!

My post sounds like a trump tweet. Rambling and non-sensical.... SAD

Almost perfect but you gotta refer to him as "Jeff Bozo". Lol

Not at this point. People like him and the Rezniks and banks like Wells Fargo are far beyond boycott being effective. They are entrenched. It would take state intervention and regulation.

If everyone collectively decided to boycott Amazon, or just switched to a better service at some point (Wal-Mart hypothetically) the stock would tank and he would have a lot less money. He did lose 19 Billion dollars in two days not long ago for example. Its hard to know how much without knowing his finances. But he isn't Scrooge McDuck sitting on 147 billion in cash at all times as you sometimes make it sound.

He's invested in successful companies like Google and Uber. Should we pass legislation to stop the ultra rich from making further investments?

yc58cnnoe7b21.jpg

Exhaustion, dehydration and injuries in a manual labor, warehouse job? You don't say.

Oh, and I'm sure the time and effort put into creating Amazon was a breeze.

I'm not sure there's anything anybody could do that deserves $1 billion, let alone $100 billion, especially when 800 million people are starving every year and that number will almost certainly increase when climate change really gets going.

Just think about what that number actually means. His individual wealth (one solitary person) would put him at #59 of the world's GDP. It's hard for me to think of that as anything but grotesque. What kind of person would want that amount of money?

Exhaustion, dehydration and injuries in a manual labor, warehouse job? You don't say.

Oh, and I'm sure the time and effort put into creating Amazon was a breeze.

No,I did not say it.

Workers who work for Amazon did.

No,I did not say it.
Workers who work for Amazon did.

My point is that all manual labor jobs carry some risk of injury and you're typically working in heat. Also worth noting that some of the East African workers in that complaint were celebrating Ramadan so they already going without food and water throughout the work day.

I don't believe in the government deciding how much money someone is allowed to have, but it's also not a good reflection on yourself when you're one of the richest people in the world and your employees are on food stamps. Same goes for Wal-Mart.

My point is that all manual labor jobs carry some risk of injury and you're typically working in heat. Also worth noting that some of the East African workers in that complaint were celebrating Ramadan so they already going without food and water throughout the work day.

Sure,I 100% accept your point there and also the Ramadan thing and of course those doing so is their "right to freedom of worship" which I support for all humans.

I don't myself take any issue with any of the mega billionaires as in envy them,hate them etc

I have no opinion either way on them having that much $$ and do not see it as logical or right morally/legally for govt to regulate how much wealth a person can have.

:)

I think that it's a fail on the government's part when someone can make that kind of money. It means the industry is under regulated.

Money as I see it is a man made construct that is a tool for obvious needs and wants to be faciliated for all in the multitude of ways any given human will decide to use it.

As a theory ANYTHING is workable and will do it's intended purpose which of course rarely ever translates into high % success rate when applied in practice.

Capitalism and all other forms of economic systems with their respective socio-political dynamics/factors have flaws and none offer a totality of equitable good.

Equality and equity are often mistaken for the same thing in both directions where someone says they want equality but they actually want equity of opportunity/outcome.

Earth (as a resource) sans the national borders,corporate interests,racial and ethnic divisions,biases,prejudices and bigotries can sustain all with a certain standard of living.

Currently and for a LONG time the access to and use of all the important wealth and resources have been so vastly disparate that the extremes do enter into caricature.

All of the above I know men and women with intellect way above mine have done in depth anaylsis of the why hows and wherefores and reach various conclusions.

The human species collectively on earth has reached the point where powerful and far reaching factors have exerted themselves out to degrees that now despite there being few to no logical reasons for it - sufferings and pleasures of all manner occuring simultaneously.

The human nature/condition or whatever one wishes to label it as is why.

Hate,greed,envy and all the ugly traits of humankind have prevailed over the good,the kind,the sharing the beautiful traits humankind also possess.

Mackenzie Bezos and Kristen Schaal look weirdly alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"