Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition - Part 2

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Mar 31, 2014.

1. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

As far as story and character? Of course it can.He has one of the most tragic back stories out there and plenty of arcs and villains of his own.

The script they have now alone is almost perfect. The blurring of morality is what would make the character actually stand out in this decade. Not really a character out there like him.
    Grabbing a new audience is the issue. But every new property has to deal with that.

Mystique also has plenty to ride on for a solo if they really want one. After being the lead X girl for two films it's not that out there of an idea. I think it may be overkill for the character and franchise, and personally would rather they focus elsewhere. But there is plenty of material to work with given her new leading role in the films and her solo comic.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

If they have Deadpool breaking the 4th Wall in his movie, it could quickly turn into a parody instead of a movie about a mutant with a tragic past.

Mystique never really have a long-running series in the comics, unlike other characters that have their solo movies, and she can't strain far from X-Men for her stories to work. I just don't really see how they can make a good solo movie for her. BW wasn't workable before, but after 3 movies I think she has started to emerge as her own. Mystique hasn't gotten there yet imo.

3. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

It should be both though. It goes hand in hand with why he's so crazy. I think the 4th wall stuff will work more for him tbh. It's gotta be a funny movie, but there are other elements that need to be there so you sympathize with the character.

Fair enough. I liked her solo from Brian K Vaughan from what I remember of it, and I do think after this film her character will be pretty established and developed as the female lead for the series. But as of now I can see that pov. Not really for the solo myself.

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I will obviously watch the film if they make it.

But is it really necessary to release a movie focusing on a villain like Mystique? They could just use their time and effort making another film with the OT cast or a spin-off film like New Mutants.

5. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

I will be very sad/mad/pressed if j.law ends up being the weakling/January jones of this film.

6. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

Yeah I kinda went "what" at the price tag. It doesn't really look expensive at all.

7. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

Funny, she look's like emma frost look's in marvel now!

8. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Yeah, she does look like her alot in the black. Definitely not a bad thing haha.

9. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

Does movie Mystique really have that much in common with comic Mystique anymore (beyond powers and blue skin, obviously)? Obviously, they are only considering this because a movie star with an Oscar is now playing her, same with the beefed up role in DOFP. However, if they can make it work, there is nothing wrong with the movie creation changing perceptions and doing something new with her. Before Downey, Iron Man was not exactly a motormouth either, and look how that turned out.

10. Arach Knight

Arach Knight Abstraction of Logic

Deadpool is very trend right now, from shirts at Hot Topic, to a smash hit video game. The character is everywhere these days. Marvel could put together a sloppy Deadpool film and pull in audiences just based on general popularity. But is Deadpool a character of sufficient depth to carry a narrative? I'm inclined to say "no." Deadpool works best when playing off of other characters.

11. HIA

HIA Well-Known Member

Deadpool is a cult hit waiting to happen. But Fox doesnt see it, so sadly wont probably happen ever.

12. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

Deadpool video game was a smash hit :huh:

13. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't call it a smash hit, but it's very popular among fans and sold half a million with average to bad reviews. For a character without his own property in main stream media that's not bad.

He also has more merch then just about any other X-Men character and as many solos as Wolverine. He sells extremely high considering there's no movie or weekly cartoon based on him. Don't think there is any other Marvel character out there that can claim that right now. There's a very good reason Mavrel puts him on all their #1 variant covers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  14. Krak66

Krak66 Well-Known Member

Mystique looks funny in black and white picture :)

[​IMG]

15. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

edit.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  16. psylockolussus

1 thing I didn't like in the 3rd trailer is why is Mystique not in blue form when she was talking to Wolverine. It looks like they are not talking in public and having a private meeting. After all that mutant and proud moment in First Class, she should appear more in blue form.

I know they are trying to sell Jennifer Lawrence, but that shouldn't compromise the script.

17. Farren

Farren Side Kicker

That's a really good point.

18. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

Guess she's not so proud after all :awesome:

19. MakeMinesMarvel

MakeMinesMarvel Well-Known Member

I think its because she doesn't know him so she's not revealing herself. Even though he already knows who she is.

I think tbe movie needs more Lawrence. This needs 1 Billion $ and she's a huge part. I have friends who are turned off ftom X-Men but will only see this because "their baby Jennifer" is in it. More Jennifer please I dont care where the $ comes from.

20. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

:up: Good point.

21. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

22. psylockolussus

I don't think so. And who cares if she doesn't know him, she's mutant and proud. So she shouldn't really hide herself from strangers.

Even with this shot (which doesn't look like an outdoor scene, it looks like she's watching TV lol)
    [​IMG]

She's not in blue form.

23. Malik

Malik Well-Known Member

She look's like she's in the hospital, and of course she isn't going to be blue in every scene.

24. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

It's a bit weird that the latest trailer makes it look like Wolverine is trying to get Mystique on the team.

To make it look more like The Avengers maybe?

25. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

Maybe part of the mystery is that they know someone assassinates trask or someone but they don't know it was mystique, its possible they do infact get her help to get magneto out unaware she is responsible for what happens