Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jennifer was amazing in this. I really think alot of young girls will look up to her and she's a great role model in the movie. I love that...

she left Xavier because of an idealogical difference not because he didn't love her or she was pissed at him

In fact, I think "X-men First Class" is one of the most gender equal comic book movies of all time. The women in the movie are tough and accomplished and they're not just there for a standard love interest role.

Jennifer was amazing in this. I really think alot of young girls will look up to her and she's a great role model in the movie. I love that...

she left Xavier because of an idealogical difference not because he didn't love her or she was pissed at him

In fact, I think "X-men First Class" is one of the most gender equal comic book movies of all time. The women in the movie are tough and accomplished and they're not just there for a standard love interest role.

I also liked that Charles respected her enough to tell her to do what she wanted to, even though it was probably the last thing on earth that he wanted. He decided to finally start treating Raven as an adult, even if her decisions as an adult were not the ones that he liked.

He saw her as still being his cute little sister for most of the movie, and treated her like a child. It was interesting how they contrasted the first time they met with the scene where Charles sees her naked as an adult to illustrate how Charles was having difficulty accepting that she wasn't a kid anymore. When they first met they were both just kids, and seeing Raven that way was innocent to Charles. Obviously Charles would be embarrassed that Ravel was walking around the house with no clothes on, but on a deeper level, seeing her like that also threatened his image of her. In Charles mind, Raven was still the little girl he found in his kitchen all those years ago, but seeing her adult body was kind of a wakeup call that things could never be that simple or innocent anymore.

well maybe in a sequel Azazel trains her how to fight, and thats when they fall for each other...

That's what I was thinking.

Also, in a sequel, I'd like to see some conflict between Mystique and Emma Frost, maybe some verbal exchanges, confrontations or even a cat fight.

maybe in a sequel, Mystique can shatter Emma's diamond form with a brass bed frame.

After Azazel and Mystique fell in love and had baby, he moves on with another normal looking mutant.

Meanwhile Magneto and Emma are a couple. Magneto kill Azazel for Mystique and convinced her to abandon her normal looking baby in German orphanage. His mutation didnt show until he was a little older and became Nightcrawler.

Mystique then fall for Magneto once again which turned Emma away from Brotherhood and joined X-men !

I wouldn't mind it Emma joined the X-Men in the next one...or maybe at the very least, considers it..

She left her "brother" and a guy she likes because she's chasing tail. She's not a good role model nor is she meant to be one by the end

I was quite glad they developed the relationship between Erik and Raven, though it would be interesting to see if they would delve deeper into the Azazel/Mystique idea as well.

In terms of performance I thought she did a great job taking on the insecurities of the character and in many ways turning those insecurities and weaknesses into strengths. She was certainly a very strong character, even if people don't believe she was the best role model. She's my favorite female character at the moment, however that might change depending on how many times I rematch the film and what happens in the sequel.

Timstuff,

I also liked that Charles respected her enough to tell her to do what she wanted to, even though it was probably the last thing on earth that he wanted. He decided to finally start treating Raven as an adult, even if her decisions as an adult were not the ones that he liked.

He saw her as still being his cute little sister for most of the movie, and treated her like a child. It was interesting how they contrasted the first time they met with the scene where Charles sees her naked as an adult to illustrate how Charles was having difficulty accepting that she wasn't a kid anymore. When they first met they were both just kids, and seeing Raven that way was innocent to Charles. Obviously Charles would be embarrassed that Ravel was walking around the house with no clothes on, but on a deeper level, seeing her like that also threatened his image of her. In Charles mind, Raven was still the little girl he found in his kitchen all those years ago, but seeing her adult body was kind of a wakeup call that things could never be that simple or innocent anymore.

Booyah! On the money. And that's what makes Xavier's and Raven's last scene so damn sad. It's not like she gets seduced to the dark side. It comes from Xavier's inability to see what being a mutant is like from her perspective and not allowing her to grow up. But Xavier's inability to see that comes from love and want to just protect his "sister".

And their break up ultimately cements the philosophy that we know Xavier will champion for the rest of his days.

If anything, First Class nailed the crap out of this thematic and character arc of Raven and Charles' relationship.

Anyone knows if that cameo in the bed was a face replacement deal or something like that... she looked very odd to me...

If In a sequel they want to devolp Mystique and Azarel I could see Mystique jealous by
Emma being so close to Magneto ends up sleeping with Azarel and this encounter Is
what leads to Nightcrawler.

I want to see her gain some sort of grudge w/Xavier that would lead her to almost kill him in X1 and how she wouldnt even visit him at all. Though now I wish these two had a scene in X1-3.

One of my favorite moments from the film is when Mystique steps out, finally accepting her true blue form and the camera starts from her feet and slowly pans up her body. The detail in her scales and the drama of the situation just about gave me chills.

I want to see her gain some sort of grudge w/Xavier that would lead her to almost kill him in X1 and how she wouldnt even visit him at all. Though now I wish these two had a scene in X1-3.

I love First Class and Singer's two films but small little things like that dent the series. Charles and Mystique have this rich history now but watching the films in order they have absolutely no seen connection or mention of one another in X1-3.

The one con of the Xavier/Mystique relationship is that now, seeing Mystique trying to kill Xavier in X-Men is going to feel weird.

:o

Anyone knows if that cameo in the bed was a face replacement deal or something like that... she looked very odd to me...

me too...I didnt even recognize it as Rebecca. It looked like...there's a B movie actress that always plays the old trailer park mom who thinks shes sexy...cant remember her name...but it definitely didnt look like one of the most beautiful women on earth.

I think that Mystique and Azazel is just going to be a short-lived fling. I don't really think I could imagine this incarnation of Mystique being the deadbeat mom that the comic version is, at least not at this point in her life-- that is, in the comcis she gets pregnant from random mutants and doesn't care, because childbirth is quick and painless for her and since she'll live to be like 200, 9 months doesn't seem that long to her, and she does not care about her children enough to raise them. In all likeliness I think Magneto convinces her that she cannot raise a child and be dedicated to the Brotherhood at the same time, and that is probably the point at which she really goes off the deep end.

me too...I didnt even recognize it as Rebecca. It looked like...there's a B movie actress that always plays the old trailer park mom who thinks shes sexy...cant remember her name...but it definitely didnt look like one of the most beautiful women on earth.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I love First Class and Singer's two films but small little things like that dent the series. Charles and Mystique have this rich history now but watching the films in order they have absolutely no seen connection or mention of one another in X1-3.

I agree. I thought that after the opening which was shot for shot, that First Class would have been more in line with the following movies. I can't believe that after being with Charles for 15 years, Raven would just become a cold blooded killer, and willing to kill her "brother". I hope that they make her more of a morally ambiguous character. I would love to see her sneak into the mansion just to check on Charles, I don't want them to just throw away all that history. However it would have been cool that in X1 before she goes to kill charles, Magneto and her have a huge fight about whether it's the right thing to do etc. But in their current forms, the Mystique of First Class is totally different than in the original movies, and I like the new Mystique better. Also Jennifer Lawrence did a fabulous job, never really was interested into the character until now. So nice job.

I could see them having Magneto kill Azarel after discovering he and Mystique had fling.
I could see If they went to get Into Mystique and Azarel as Nightcrawler's parents Into
after Mystique gives birth he makes her give up the child since he doesn't want any reminder of her fling with Azarel.This could help explain her being more cold in X-Men/X2.
They certainly won't make Mystique particully trying to kill baby Nightcrawler as she did
In comics.

I agree. I thought that after the opening which was shot for shot, that First Class would have been more in line with the following movies. I can't believe that after being with Charles for 15 years, Raven would just become a cold blooded killer, and willing to kill her "brother". I hope that they make her more of a morally ambiguous character. I would love to see her sneak into the mansion just to check on Charles, I don't want them to just throw away all that history. However it would have been cool that in X1 before she goes to kill charles, Magneto and her have a huge fight about whether it's the right thing to do etc. But in their current forms, the Mystique of First Class is totally different than in the original movies, and I like the new Mystique better. Also Jennifer Lawrence did a fabulous job, never really was interested into the character until now. So nice job.

Atleast another 15 or so years will have passed between their friendship and Mystique being with Magneto. So i guess she will have enough time to become the somewhat twisted version of herself that we were introduced to in the original movies. And I could also see her giving up Kurt because she wouldnt want him to be part of the brotherhood and atleast try to live a better life.

The one con of the Xavier/Mystique relationship is that now, seeing Mystique trying to kill Xavier in X-Men is going to feel weird.

:o

A possible mindwipe by Emma Frost could fix that, by wiping Mystique's memories....

you kind of have to figure, 30 years of working along side Magneto, probably warps her views on things a bit...

tho, I don't recall her ever trying to kill Xavier (not directly anyway)

A possible mindwipe by Emma Frost could fix that, by wiping Mystique's memories....

swprq_10.jpg

Oh no! please, not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985