Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

I feel like the showrunners are trying really hard to destroy this show after this season. Trish outright murdered Jessica's mom. How the hell does that relationship ever get fixed?

Just finished the season. I think I’m at the point where I feel like Jessica is a worse person than someone like Fisk. I know she’s a jerk but made her out to be literally the worst. Malcom and Trish made mistakes but they aren’t preaching.

Just finished myself...it was an ok season but not as strong as S1. I didn't really like Trish's storyline that much or her and Malcolm hooking up.

Turning Trish into a glorified junkie only to end it with her putting her life in jeopardy to get some powers and killing Jessicas mom...I dont hate her but I was not happy with what they did to her. Why not have the powers be forced upon her or something...just why. And I enjoyed her fiance and wanted them to work out.

My feeling is in trying to unpack this season, and this is only a guess and pure speculation on my part, they wanted to do something more unconventional and something that was like the reverse of the first season basically.

Instead of a dark psychotic rapist scumbag, the superpowered conflict comes in the form of a traumatized and emotionally damaged older woman who also happens to be Jessica's mom. There's no greater conspiracy or cover-up. There's no puppet master controlling things behind the scenes. There's no leader of the Hand. There's no demon given human form like Kilgrave.

Basically, the end of the first season presented the idea that season 2 would be all about IGH. This big corporate enigma that was responsible for Jessica Jones getting her powers and also had involvement in possibly creating other enhanced individuals. Instead of IGH being this big overbearing corporate presence, IGH was basically nothing. It's last vestiges are basically dismantled by Alise Jones. Not to mention, the guy behind IGH seems to be this fairly innocuous and pacifistic hipster. I'm not saying Dr. Karl Malus was some choir boy, but he was basically presented in the show as this fairly benign presence more so than a mad scientist.

I'm also not really sure what kind of feminist message you can really take from this season either. I mean, some of that stuff is in there, but it all seems just minor, secondary stuff. Like for example, finding out that Trish was pimped out in her teens and sexually assaulted by that adult filmmaker. What I mean is, that example is in the show, but it's brushed aside fairly quickly. It's a plot device. It's only used as a means to an end. It's not like a major plot twist. It's presented talked about, used to progress the plot, and then they pretty much move on from it and never address it again.

I also could be wrong, but I get the sense from the showrunners and the writers that in the case of a drug addict, they don't seem to hold the actual addicts responsible for their addiction at all. To me it's weird that they present Malus as this sort of hipster type, but Jessica never really holds Trish accountable for her actions until after she kills her mother.

Once again, when do you hold people who do bad things responsible for their own decisions.

I'm not excusing Kilgrave as a character from any type of moral perspective, but even Jessica Jones showed that she was experimented on by his parents as a child and was basically treated like a lab rat. Is it any surprise he became a deranged psychopath? Putting him down was probably the right decision, but regardless, Kilgrave was partially a product of what his parents made him into. And yet, throughout season 2, it seemed like the show was constantly excusing the morally questionable actions of Jessica, Trish, Alise, Malcom, etc.

Last edited:
I didn't really like killgrave's cameo. It was sort of predictable especially after the trailer hit that he is gonna come as JJ's consicousness.

They could have done something more interesting with his cameo.

Last edited:
......And yet, throughout season 2, it seemed like the show was constantly excusing the morally questionable actions of Jessica, Trish, Alise, Malcom, etc.

exactly......and this makes it hard to root for anyone in this series. Also Malcom and Jeri were quite interesting at the beginning half but their respective Arcs quickly deteriorated in quality.

Overall, I liked this season. It had very strong performances and some solid twists and some nifty winks, but I did find some of the characters' actions a bit jarring and the conclusion I felt was somewhat mixed about it. I'm still very much looking forward for more.

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of this.

Characters were really unlikeable. Especially compared to season 1. Especially Trish was a pants-on-head dumbass.
The storyline just wasn't that interesting. I'm fine with not having a big "we have to save the city" type story. It's a cool direction to go with in a "superhero" show, they just didn't execute
Those were the big 2 for me.

Too much time was spent on stuff that didn't matter like Jeri's whole thing (well acted though)

I could go on, but don't feel like it. It's not terrible. Or horrendous. But I do think it's the weakest season they've put out other than Iron Fist Season 1.
Hope it bounces back for s3

IMO, this was one of the most intimate, character-exploring seasons for Marvel yet and frankly I loved it.

I'll admit, it did drag just a bit towards the end, but I really do love how everything from season 1 was addressed and ramped up to its likeliest outcomes. Now, Trish doesn't exactly come out smelling like roses, but her logic behind her actions at least makes sense (if you look at it from her POV & experiences).

I really do appreciate how the storytelling chances Marvel has begun to take on pretty much all levels (Movies, TV, Netflix).

IMO, this was one of the most intimate, character-exploring seasons for Marvel yet and frankly I loved it.

I'll admit, it did drag just a bit towards the end, but I really do love how everything from season 1 was addressed and ramped up to its likeliest outcomes. Now, Trish doesn't exactly come out smelling like roses, but her logic behind her actions at least makes sense (if you look at it from her POV & experiences).

I really do appreciate how the storytelling chances Marvel has begun to take on pretty much all levels (Movies, TV, Netflix).
It's not just her mother. Trish is a sociopath who wants to be a star and the center of attention.

I understand the need for a female villain but they need to pick a better one next season. Very boring villain imo. Way More Trish, Malcolm, and Hogarth next season. Also get a better love interest for jessica. Can't Jessica accept her powers already and can the investigations get better. Better villain and cases next season please

Yeah I was slightly disappointed in the season. I think they should have went with Typhoid Mary as the villain. I kept thinking she was going to show up. Maybe they will save her for season 3.

Yeah I was slightly disappointed in the season. I think they should have went with Typhoid Mary as the villain. I kept thinking she was going to show up. Maybe they will save her for season 3.

I'd rather see Typhoid in the upcoming season of Daredevil and to keep her around and not kill her off so she can be a shared villain between Matt, Jessica and Danny. (Luke is borderline fireproof and swordproof so she honestly can't hurt him.)

Trish will likely become a vlogger making a living off her podcast, corporate sponsors and Patreon. She'll be covering crime in New York which puts her in danger, more so since she's spending her nights dressed up as Hellcat. After she gets kidnapped, Jessica is forced to bury the hatchet to rescue her friend from gangsters (and see if Disney can borrow Man Mountain Marko from Sony since if Spider-Man fights a gangster, it'll more likely be Silvermane, Hammerhead or Tombstone). Denny Haynes is the main villain who is using Marko to harvest Trish's DNA and sell her IGH-mutated blood to the highest bidder. Base the main plot on Alias 16-21 with Trish filling in for Mattie Franklin. IGH would be revealed to stand for Inhuman Growth Hormone. It's a process by which people would be implanted with inhuman DNA to gain powers. The biggest complaints about Season 2 are that it isn't based on a comic storyline and lacks a strong central villain. Haynes would be introduced within the first four episodes and would drive the plot.

Malcolm will be busy working with Hogarth. Hogarth will hopefully be cured during Iron Fist Season 2 by Danny. (Or Alice Eve if she's a gender-swapped Orson Randall.) Hogarth is hired to represent Haynes and that puts Malcolm in a situation where he's supposed to sabotage Jessica's own investigation to find Trish. Hogarth also owns a cryo storage unit housing Killgrave's body whose skin has turned purple after being frozen. If Hogarth isn't cured yet then she gets cured by using a sample of Trish's blood purchased from Haynes and Haynes hires Hogarth to get Pryce Cheng to kill Jessica. Hogarth would eventually betray her own client after forcing him to pay her and then leaking tips to Jessica.

Oscar will be killed to free up Jessica to marry Luke. As Jessica closes in on Trish, Oscar is kidnapped, tortured and killed along with his son while Luke appears at the end of the season and marries Jessica.

Dorothy is the one who hires Jessica to find Trish. Jessica doesn't want to do it at first until she realizes that Hellcat is Trish and Haynes' public unmasking is going to put Trish in danger for the rest of her life. Haynes is currently filling Trish up with drugs and using her as a sex slave, basically doing to Trish what Killgrave did to Jessica. Jessica gets a whiff of the type of designer drugs that Trish is being fed and that causes Killgrave to resurface as a new persona fighting for control of her mind and attempting to force her to ressurect him out of cryo storage with Jessica' drinking only making his voice that much stronger.

Jessica defeats Killgrave in the third to last episode by seeing a shrink who puts her under hypnosis where they have a battle within her mind. Jessica defeats the persona Killgrave implanted in her and manages to overcome her split personality. That alongside cutting down in drinking which will be shown to be a season-long struggle for her.

The end of the season sees Jessica free herself from Killgrave's control by getting her drinking under control. Jessica calls Luke over and Luke assists a Jessica who is still grieving for Oscar and the two of them hook up before they assault Haynes' warehouse. Jessica gets over her anger towards Trish and realizes that she's the only family she has left and this is the night when she's going to be unmasked. Jessica informs the NYPD that Haynes' is holed up in a warehouse in Harlem and Misty Knight is dispatched to help with the situation. Jessica decides that she herself is going to suit up. First as Nightress but then realizes that she's already been a public superhero three times in a row and defeating The Hand already put her in the spotlight so she's going to wear the Jewel costume that Trish once made her. Jessica, Luke and Misty attack Haynes' base alongside the police and rescue Trish but not before she's unmasked on a live stream in front of the entire world.

Jessica tells Trish that she never wanted to see her again and she isn't there because she likes her. She's there because Trish did something reckless and stupid. Trish just responds by giving Jessica a hug. She's crying but doesn't say a word, she just lets Jessica vent and then walks away.

The season finale has Jessica learn that she's pregnant with Luke's baby. Trish can no longer be a media personality now that everyone knows that she's Hellcat since every criminal out to make a name for themself is going to want to kill her and she'll have to join Alias. Jessica avoids being bought out by Hogarth by allowing Rand to buy Alias. Misty also resigns from the force and Luke reveals that he just got a private investigator license. Luke tells Jessica that Danny isn't a fan of the name Alias Investigations and decided to rebrand. The new name is Heroes for Hire. Luke tells Jessica that if she's Jewel, he's now Power Man and proposes to her. Misty says that she doesn't do codenames (Danny and Colleen are also mentioned to have joined up but Matt decided not to join, Elektra reached out to them but nobody trusted her and nobody trusts Frank Castle to not be a loose cannon). The phone rings and Jessica learns that Kilgrave's body is missing. Jessica must have freed him while sleepwalking (or at least she assumes that). The final scene is a purple-skinned Killgrave breaking the fourth wall, telling the audience to put down the remote and to hear him talk about how great it is to be alive again.

That's how I'd do Season 3. Base it on the actual comics, make it a mystery with a recurring central antagonist, turn Trish into Hellcat and find a way to bring Killgrave back. Season 4 would reveal that it was another of Killgrave's victims who brought him back to life. Somebody who loved being under his control and formed a cult in his name. That's just how I'd handle it.

- I was not a big fan of the romances this season. Something felt a bit time killy about them and I am confused by what Trish's boyfriend was doing with her computer. Like was he up to something?

Probably had to do with the proposal and seeing when she was free.

I'm on the second last episode right now and I'm a little... not bored but underwhelmed by this season. I understand the temptation to go into Jessica's mother and having her be alive and explore that but I don't think the pay off makes it worthy enough to be the whole season. They needed some sort of villain that brought some energy to the screen. Typhoid would've been a good choice and would have easily fit in with the whole IGH thing. Killing off Nuke also felt a little rushed along with killing Koslov. The mother aspect just isn't working for me.

Edit: Finally finished the season. I think the issue with the season was a weak antagonist. I think the series would benefit from Jones doing smaller cases along with one big one. Have a hint of procedural to it but not the standard version of it. More like how The Good Wife and The Good Fight handled cases.

Last edited:
It's not just her mother. Trish is a sociopath who wants to be a star and the center of attention.

Sociopath might be the wrong word. She's an addict. She just traded in one addiction for another. Add in the fact that her mother has pushed her to be "remarkable" all her life, her "sister" is literally remarkable and she lives in a world with actual special individuals (The Avengers), it's turns into a stew of insecurities that pushes her to try to become more than she actually is.

Just finished the season. I think I’m at the point where I feel like Jessica is a worse person than someone like Fisk. I know she’s a jerk but made her out to be literally the worst. Malcom and Trish made mistakes but they aren’t preaching.

^THIS

It's like all this was done to break the series so season 3 they can redeem her. But it seems a very weak season compared to the first (which was AMAZING).

I have worries Luke Cage season 2 is gonna crap the Bed.

I hated how Jessica's mom took the entire season.

And how Trish is utterly unlikable now.

And we won't be seeing season 3 for at least 2 years.

Thank you. As someone who didn't like the first season but was curious on maybe giving this a shot, I'll probably skip it.

I also didn't like the first season and will be skipping the 2nd season (and any future seasons).

Yeah this season was kind of a drag, and if your someone who wasn't a fan of the first I don't see how you will possibly enjoy this. I wasn't crazy about Season 1 either, but it at least had a fantastic villain in Kilgrave and that alone is why its still like my third favorite Marvel Netflix show. I don't mind them doing something different or being unconventional, but at least give us a compelling antagonist. Trish as the villain was such weak sauce IMO, because she just isn't threatening. Yeah she is a whiny, selfish *****, but I would have preferred a more physical threat. I also can't say I was a fan of Jessica being sulking and sad for a good portion of this season and I also didn't really care for her love interest even though the guy wasn't bad.

What I enjoyed the most about this season was easily the mom character and their interactions, especially in the middle episodes. The actress was pretty fantastic for the most part and their scenes at least had some kind of life or personality in them. Her death did become a lot more effective towards the end, but it could have been structured much better.

I hated how Jessica's mom took the entire season.

And how Trish is utterly unlikable now.

And we won't be seeing season 3 for at least 2 years.

I don’t think the wait will be as long now. I don’t think we will be getting another Defenders season. We have Luke Cage S2, DD S3 for 2018 and then IF S2, Punisher S2 and then JJ S2 for 2019 I’d assume.

2 years would be a really long wait.

Also, I'd make Season 4 revolve not only around Killgrave's return but also the Alison Green story with Trish replacing Captain Marvel.

It was kind of a downer. JJ isn't the kind of hero to have grand adventures with the huge triumph, but even so. Still, I can't bring myself to write it off as "a bad one".

I felt it didn't have a villain, but several screwed up individuals crashing into each other. That's a creative direction I can respect, even if I didn't particularly enjoy it.

I like Alisa and was rooting for her by the end. But a bit less with her could have been more. She should have been bolstering, or been bolstered by a number of plot elements that didn't go anywhere.

Like Simpson, who was wasted. I guess they wrote themselves into a corner with him. In retrospect they should have just used Mad Dog. IGH was promising, but it dead ended. Was it Alisa who killed Whizzer and Kozlov?

And what about Reva Connor and Kilgrave's dangling plot thread. Why did she have those files?

So yeah, flawed. Deeply. Don't know if I'd call it a mess.

Sociopath might be the wrong word. She's an addict. She just traded in one addiction for another. Add in the fact that her mother has pushed her to be "remarkable" all her life, her "sister" is literally remarkable and she lives in a world with actual special individuals (The Avengers), it's turns into a stew of insecurities that pushes her to try to become more than she actually is.
What Trish did went beyond addiction.

Like Simpson, who was wasted. I guess they wrote themselves into a corner with him. In retrospect they should have just used Mad Dog. IGH was promising, but it dead ended. Was it Alisa who killed Whizzer and Kozlov?

Yes. They set it up to make us think it was Simpson at first when it was really Jessica's mother.

And what about Reva Connor and Kilgrave's dangling plot thread. Why did she have those files?

Seems like that subplot has been all but abandoned. Disappointing. IGH was nothing more than a giant bait and switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"