Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

The few reviews that are up, while some note that the first few episodes are good, there's a trend going that it's a bit slow, Uproxx in particular noting that there's a void left unfilled so far with Kilgrave's death.

So though it's early, seems mixed as of now.

Not a single review mentions the name of Janet McTeer's villain. She's too old to be Typhoid so I'm guessing she's Superia or Titania.

Not a single review mentions the name of Janet McTeer's villain. She's too old to be Typhoid so I'm guessing she's Superia or Titania.

Or she's a character made exclusively for the show since that is the norm on Marvel TV.

I can now say I watched and reviewed the first 5 episodes of season 2 of Jessica Jones.
giphy.gif

The few reviews that are up, while some note that the first few episodes are good, there's a trend going that it's a bit slow, Uproxx in particular noting that there's a void left unfilled so far with Kilgrave's death.

He was always going to be really difficult to replace.

Is season 2 really premiering on a Thursday? Am I mistaken?

Yeah. I liked Collider's review, which was a little more positive. But they had a specific paragraph about the pacing. They said better than some, but still a problem, with picking up the pace towards the end. It could mean about average (e.g., Punisher) or it sounds like exactly Iron Fist. It's just a question of degree.

The Thursday release is tricky because I have crap I have to get done on Friday. It might screw up my usual drink and review episode plan. Maybe I can do one episode Thursday and four Friday night (that way I can get through episode five by Saturday morning).

Yeah. I liked Collider's review, which was a little more positive. But they had a specific paragraph about the pacing. They said better than some, but still a problem, with picking up the pace towards the end. It could mean about average (e.g., Punisher) or it sounds like exactly Iron Fist. It's just a question of degree.

I tend to ignore complaints of "pacing problems" because people like to throw around that phrase like it's not something that every TV show ever made has had. The Netflix MCU shows focus on character and inner conflict, which strangely is what they’re usually praised for. Fleshing out the characters and giving them depth requires some more low-key character driven episodes which gives weight so that the more action packed stuff later have satisfactory payoff. Jessica Jones season 1 actually had a lot of action in its second half, so why is it just now getting criticized for "pacing issues"? There seems to have been a shift because, prior to The Punisher, Jessica Jones was widely considered the best of the Netflix MCU shows, but despite The Punisher being criticized for also having "pacing problems", that is the main critique now being levied at Jessica Jones.

It’s inevitable that whenever the next great thing comes out the previous great thing will start getting trashed, but people are now picking on Jessica Jones for having the same "issues" (which I don’t see as issues at all) that every single show in this canon has been picked on for.

As I see it, “pacing problems” is the universal go-to complaint for when people mean “I didn’t find every episode 100% exciting.” It's up there with "[x and y] have no chemistry", the go-to catchphrase that shippers love to use to discredit any romantic pairing that challenges theirs. It results in this weird hyporcrisy where reviewers praise the shows for being character-driven superhero stories that flesh out the characters so they're more relatable to the audience than any of the movie characters, then one breath later criticize the show for having that depth because it means that we have some slow episodes, which every other TV show ever made has had.

That's a pretty odd way of saying that pacing shouldn't be a complaint. I mean what, pacing all of a sudden isn't legitimate criticism for any show? So the Netflix shows focus on inner conflict. Besides, action and pacing aren't exactly the same thing, so Season 1 not getting flack for pacing issues may be because some people didn't have an issue with the pacing back then...and now they do with this season.

Heck, even Luke Cage's pacing took a shift once Cottonmouth was killed off and Diamondback became the primary antagonist. Notice you barely hear any complaints on pacing leveled against the first season of Daredevil. And Iron Fist speaks for itself. That's hardly 'picking on' a show if there are indeed pacing issues. And given how these reviews are only for the first few episodes, there's no consensus on this being the main critique. And if it is the main critique, how do you brush that off as a go-to complaint?

I won't be able to marathon the show like I usually do. I will watch Thursday night, but then I am out of town Fri-Sun. I won't finish the show until sometime that week, watching prob 2-3 episodes per day

I have one question: Did they take random quotes from the episodes to use as titles like they did for last season?
"The Sandwich Saved Me" is one of my favorite titles.

That's a pretty odd way of saying that pacing shouldn't be a complaint. I mean what, pacing all of a sudden isn't legitimate criticism for any show? So the Netflix shows focus on inner conflict. Besides, action and pacing aren't exactly the same thing, so Season 1 not getting flack for pacing issues may be because some people didn't have an issue with the pacing back then...and now they do with this season.

Heck, even Luke Cage's pacing took a shift once Cottonmouth was killed off and Diamondback became the primary antagonist. Notice you barely hear any complaints on pacing leveled against the first season of Daredevil. And Iron Fist speaks for itself. That's hardly 'picking on' a show if there are indeed pacing issues. And given how these reviews are only for the first few episodes, there's no consensus on this being the main critique. And if it is the main critique, how do you brush that off as a go-to complaint?
While I agree Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Defenders all have pacing issues, I disagree a lot when they are leveled at Daredevil and the Punisher. And even as I feel Jessica Jones in an episode or 2 long, I don't agree there either. And it is because I feel like a lot of complaints on pace seem to be leveled whenever the show about comic book characters dares to be a show about comic book characters. I enjoy short little arcs or one off episodes. Not everything needs to stick to the main plot, or its superfluous. I enjoy binging, but that does not mean the show needs to be structured for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"