Jill Scott's Essay on Interracial Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me, I'll never figure out why naming her kid Apple is such a big deal to people.

Why's you censor ash? :funny:

She also seems like an airhead. She named her kid Apple and said she had it harder to raise a kid than the average American.
I forgot if it would censor me on it. :funny:

She's probably harmless and maybe even nice in person, but what she's promoting healthwise is still harmful, so someone still needs to stop her. :oldrazz:

For the life of me, I'll never figure out why naming her kid Apple is such a big deal to people.

Well, Loud_Silent_Man, oops I mean "defunct character from a show that ended almost 5 years ago", you're not known for your great choice of names. :o

:hrt:

Stop flirting with me, JJJ, this is neither the time nor the place. :o

I find it pretty easy to ignore people I don't like. I don't love or hate Kanye and I don't know what he says each week because I don't follow what he is up to.

I do think people love to hate certain celebrities like Kanye, Bieber, Miley, ect which is why they talk about them instead of just ignoring them.

Pretty much. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't know anything about his statement on interracial marriage. The last Kanye having a Kanye moment I knew about was when he flipped out on Sway. I don't hate him but he's not above being joked on...especially when he so readily supplies the ammo
533.gif

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/hea...racial-couples-big-mutual-appreciation-85938/

Interracial Couples Are Big on Mutual Appreciation

In a new study of university students, those in interracial relationships were more likely than others to feel their partners possess important, positive qualities.

Not all that long ago, engaging in a romantic relationship with a member of another race was widely frowned upon. Some traditionalists still suspect such people are driven by a desire to defy societal norms, or perhaps the inability to get a more desirable, same-race partner.

Newly published research suggests they couldn’t be more wrong.
A new study of university undergraduates in California found students engaged in interracial dating gave their partners higher ratings for attractiveness and intelligence than did their peers who were seeing someone of their own race.

A research team led by psychologist Karen Wu of the University of California-Irvine, reports these positive evaluations were persuasively communicated to their partners, and—at least on a level of physical attractiveness—were not illusory.
“We hypothesized that because interracial daters face social biases, their partners would have to possess higher levels of (certain) positive attributes to offset the costs of these biases.”

“We hypothesized that because interracial daters face social biases, their partners would have to possess higher levels of (certain) positive attributes to offset the costs of these biases,” the researchers write in the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. Their results indicate that may indeed be the case.

Wu and her colleagues describe three studies, the first of which featured 245 students at a West Coast public university. All reported they were currently in romantic relationships. After providing demographic information, including their race and that of their partner, participants “rated themselves, and estimated their romantic partners’ ratings of them, on 27 positive self-attributes.”

“Compared to intraracial daters, interracial daters reported that their partners viewed them more positively on cerebral, attractiveness, and relational (e.g., compassionate) attributes,” the researchers report. There were no significant differences in self-ratings between the two groups.

A second study featured 100 heterosexual couples who had been together at least three months. The man and women “completed questionnaires in separate rooms,” rating themselves and their partners on various positive attributes.

“We found that interracial daters rated their partners more positively on cerebral and attractiveness attributes,” Wu and her colleagues write. They add that grade point averages, “which could be regarded as a more objective measure of cerebral attributes,” did not differ significantly between the two groups.
For the final study, independent raters assessed the attractiveness of the individual members of 101 couples. “Interracial daters were rated as more physically attractive,” the researchers write.

“Our results contradict historical stereotypes of individuals who date interracially as undesirable or inferior,” the researchers conclude. “Interracial daters in our study were rated as possessing higher levels of desirable attributes, and were aware of being rated highly by their partners.

“This indicates that, at least in a diverse college sample, interracial relationships are unlikely to be motivated by a lack of dating opportunities within one’s own ethnic group.”

Wu and her colleagues caution that their data was among young people studying at a “demographically diverse institution” on the West Coast, “which has the highest rates of interracial marriage in the country.” A similar study of people from previous generations, especially located in more tradition-bound areas, could easily yield different results.

Nevertheless, it’s interesting to note that, among the coming generation of college-educated professionals, interracial relationships are not only common (representing 24 to 31 percent of couples in the three studies), but also marked by an above-average level of mutual appreciation.

So basically if you're dating someone of another race they better be twice as good at **** someone of your race can do? Haha, I don't really get it.

date whoever you want, marry whoever you want, divorce whoever you want.

I agree with you Hypestyle, but I wish you hadn't bumped this thread. It always raises my blood pressure.

So basically if you're dating someone of another race they better be twice as good at **** someone of your race can do? Haha, I don't really get it.
Yeah I find that suggestion to be preposterous. If anything, you might be able to pick out more specific qualities you like in your partner if it's an interracial relationship, but I would argue that's mostly due to having to actively "choose" them, so your brain is able to pick them out more.

I remember that time in second grade when my classmates said I would marry this boy named Kevin because he was the only Asian boy in my class. :funny: When it's a more active decision, you can pick the reasons better. But I certainly don't think my husband is "twice as hot" or "twice as smart" as the Asian guys I know. That's ridiculous.

I agree with you Hypestyle, but I wish you hadn't bumped this thread. It always raises my blood pressure.
I'm sorry. :o

What sucks is the Asian girls whose parents pressured and molded them to only date your own ethnicity or white dudes. If you date a black dude, you are ex-communicated. I always thought that a FOB parent being racist is hypocritical.

I see this with my Asian female friends, not with any of my Asian male friends.

Yeah it's a very insane troll logic thing. I just managed to find a couple Asian chicks that were solely into black dudes. That's like the only viable option, lol.

What sucks is the Asian girls whose parents pressured and molded them to only date your own ethnicity or white dudes. If you date a black dude, you are ex-communicated. I always thought that a FOB parent being racist is hypocritical.

That's cause according to them, it's only the black guys who are thugs and gang members. :o Black women are just loud. :o

What is FOB?

Stamp on your passport, I believe.

So many threads have been locked or deleted lately. Wish this one would follow suit. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"