Jim Lee, greatness or over estimated?

Cobblepot

Giant-Size Man-Thing
Reaction score
I'm really torn about this guys art.
He has some brilliant moments mainly in Black and White and his painted stuff in Hush.
But overall I find his action seq. rather bland and it bugs me that he uses (or rather re-uses) a lot of his poses.
And did you notice how his early Batman resembled Frank Millers DKR?

So, what do u think of him?

hushtpb_jimlee.jpg

I love Jim Lee, but I agree that his work can be a bit redundant. And he's still kinda caught up in the overly huge muscle style of the 90's. But hey, that's what he does best.

Jim Lee is both great and over-rated. That doesn't even make much sense to me, but that's how I see it.

Jim Lee is both great and over-rated. That doesn't even make much sense to me, but that's how I see it.

That makes perfect sense to me. Because that's exactly how I feel about the guy. Loved his work on "Hush" so much I bought the issues, then the two hardcovers, then the Absolute edition.

Love the dynamism in his art! Although sometimes it's hard to find differences in the way he draws certain character's faces (Bruce, Tommy, Superman, Harvey Dent).

I think what it is with Jim Lee. Is that his art is truely great. But the hype that comes with him is even greater.

That's a really good point. I love his stuff greatly but it can come off a bit recycled...

Some of his poses on Batman were reminiscent of his early X-Men work to me...

I like him, but I like Neil Adams better. David Mazuchelli better than him. And Tim Sale probably the best.

No such thing as too much muscle, he's pretty dang good.

He's overrated because he's great.

Personally, while I'm no fanboy of Lee's, I certainly greatly enjoy his artwork every time I read it. He's one of my favorites, definitely.

Jim Lee's a great artist as far as comic books go, and he definitely is head-and-shoulders above your run-of-the-mill comic book artist. As some have suggested, his artwork can feel a tad redundant, but it's still quite striking.

This is stunning, and i enjoy his work alot, always demanding that you look at each panel carefully. But what really annoys me about him is that the only difference between Bruce, Clark, Dent and Tommy Elliot is the hair cut. All his characters look roughly the same.

Tim Sale has alot more personality and quirkiness in his work, and that is why he's my favourite. Sale and Miller would be a dream come true.

I'm a big fan, he does get alot of hype, but he mostly deserves it. I love his work.

I just wish his work load would get cut-back, his comics would come out, and we could actually see his work. :csad:

And what about the simularities between FM's Batman and JL's?

Well, I think he's gotten less Miller-ish with his Batman over the years.(though he's gone back to it some with All Star) But DKR from what I've read is what really got Lee into comics, Frank Miller is like his hero. So like any other artist, his style is influenced by an artist he's a fan of. I know I take alot of influence from Jim Lee. :woot:

I LOVE that style in the pic above. did he ink/paint that himself?

I absolutely loathe his ordinary shiiit. It is everything I HATE about comic book art

He did do it all himself I believe. There was suposed to be a mini coming out written by Brian Azzrello (I think) and each issue would be drawn/painted by a different artist. Lee and Del' Otto are the only ones I remember attached to it. But then All Star and Wildcats came along, and are now way behind, so that may have been canceled. I was really looking forward to it. :csad:

(Batman: Europa, if you wanna look it up.)

It sounded great...instead they gave us Allstar.

On his best days he's a good solid artist - not outstanding or great.On his lesser days he's average.

On his best days he's a good solid artist - not phenomenal.On his lesser days, he's average.

That makes perfect sense to me. Because that's exactly how I feel about the guy. Loved his work on "Hush" so much I bought the issues, then the two hardcovers, then the Absolute edition.

Love the dynamism in his art! Although sometimes it's hard to find differences in the way he draws certain character's faces (Bruce, Tommy, Superman, Harvey Dent).

I think what it is with Jim Lee. Is that his art is truely great. But the hype that comes with him is even greater.
Yeah I'll agree with that. But you can't deny that the man is a pioneer in the field. I think what really upsets people about Lee's art is that there are so many people trying to mimic his style whenever he has a popular book come out. No matter what anybody says, though. He changed the way comic art is done and for that I am greatfull. He and Alex Ross opened the doors wide for some of the best artists we've seen in years.
I will always have great respect for Jim Lee but I must say that I am a bit dissapointed in his Batman renderings. I wish more people would really push the "Creature of the Night" aspect in Batman's costume. The wholke blue "uniformed' Batman should stay back in the 60's 70's and 80's.

He's my favorite artist for Bats followed by Adams and Sale. I just like everything about his look. Luckily for Bats, there have been a crapload of amazing and good artists.

Yea, people call his style un-original but they forget that it was in the 90s when he became a huge hit that a crapload of people took off from his style.

One of the biggest complaints I heard from his recent work on Hush was the men designs. People generally say that he merely drew the same character for Bruce, Clark, Harvey, and Tommy, but with different hair. There are actually differences as in the cheek bones, chins, ears...small details which is why I hear a lot of complaints since those are only noticeable if you really look and not at first glance.

But all of this doesn't matter at me...when I decide which artists for Batman I do and do not like...the main way I decide is actual Batman design; Lee's is my favorite.

he's certainly a good artist...but grossly over rated. his sequential story telling is mediocre at best. he has an overtly flashy style, but he's one of the few artists who can make it work pretty well. though, all of his characters essentially look exactly the same. i think he should stick to pin-ups and covers, and leave the interiors to more talented and capable artists.

I do like two things about his artwork though.
1. The backgrounds (he spends a lot of time in them)
2. The Cowl (it looks menacing)

I dislike the huge arms he gives Bats though...

I do like two things about his artwork though.
1. The backgrounds (he spends a lot of time in them)
2. The Cowl (it looks menacing)

I dislike the huge arms he gives Bats though...
YeahI'll agree with you there. A master of martial arts shouldn't have body builder arms, but then again he is also an acrobat and you've seen how big acrobats' arms can get. For as many years that Batman has spent riding the night skies on a rope he'd have to have some pretty big arms. But, yeah, Batman don't need to have Hulk arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"