Jim Lee, greatness or over estimated?

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Cobblepot, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Carmine Falcone

Carmine Falcone So it goes.

Yeah in Hush there is a page-spread where Bats has his hands at ''Jason Todd''s neck. His arm there is broader than his ****ing back.

2. Cobblepot

Cobblepot Giant-Size Man-Thing

That stuff always bothers me.

3. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

What? I'm sorry but that is stupid. What artist doesn't give Batman muscles or arms like that lately?

Shoot, I'm looking at Sale's art right now and he also had big arms. I love Sale..but if you are going to say stuff negative about Lee's Batman cause of some physiology...like Sale's is so accurate/correct to the human body?

4. Carmine Falcone

Carmine Falcone So it goes.

Because that's his style, everything is extreme: Scarecrow is extremely lanky, Batman is huge, Penguin and Robin are tiny, The Joker has a huge smile, Two-Face's bad half is an extreme mess...

5. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I only used Sale as an example. I also said how a lot of artists do and have made Batman all muscular or having big arms and legs or something.

6. TheFalcon

TheFalcon Well-Known Member

I'm a really big fan of Jim Lee. His art is perfectly placed on the realistic/unrealistic scale. The details makes it look realistic, but then he adds an extra unrealistic touch that makes it look really cool and iconic. Some may think it's too "image-y" sometimes, but I really like it.

He was trying to make him look like that at first, but he changed him a bit as he went along on Hush. If you see the first spread in the first issue Batman looks really huge (like in DKR) in comparison to the later issues.

7. SpideyInATree

SpideyInATree Never Go Full Retard

I definitely feel that it's greatness mixed with some moments of being overrated. Sometimes he slips, just like any artist is going to, but there is something about his work that spells greatness.

Hey, one thing you can say about the guy is he influenced a lot of the younger talent that we see coming up in comics these days. And most casual comic fans, or even very fairweather comic fans, know who Jim Lee is. So that tells you a lot about the guy as well.

8. darknight7

darknight7 Well-Known Member

I think his art is absolutely amazing. His characters are big muscular and manly looking. What comics should be. Comics aren't supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be about these in-shape powerful looking heroes.

His art is very true to the old school look of comic books, while adding a new sharp animation look to the style.

His Batman is the best Batman I have seen in quite some time. If I was to say an artist draws his characters too bulky, it would be Mcguinness. His Batman and Superman are obviously VERY cartoony, but they are wayyyy too bulky, and short looking.

Where as Jim Lee makes his characters look very tall yet muscular, they have a great proportion to them.

I know that some people may view it as TOO BIG, but I am going to school for art. And I have grown up watching Arnold and Stallone etc. So I prefer to see my heroes all jacked up. I also workout, and understand that being bigger and stronger is much more intimidating. So when you look at Jim Lee's Batman, according to Batman's bio, that is exactly how he should look. Big and intimidating.

A man who is 6'2, 210lbs, in best human physical shape. Than ya, he is going to be that big. It is natural.
    **(EDIT)** - He wouldn't be that big at 210...he looks about...250-270 when Lee Draws him**

So in my opinion, Jim Lee draws a very strong Batman, a well done Batman.

His artwork has inspired me over the passed couple of months, and my art has gotten better since than.

So Yes, I would say Jim Lee is "GREAT"!

(PS: This picture posted isn't even his best work.)

--dk7

9. darknight7

It all depends on the angle and proportion of the picture. I remember which picture you are talking about...I'm pretty sure.

(if I am right, it is the one where he has Jason By the neck, and it is a front shot of Batman and kind of a side shot of Jason's face)

**EDIT** I was wrong, it is an over the sholder shot from behind Batman...But it is proportioned, the angle that he is on, his arm would look that big**

Anyways, the closer an object is, the bigger it looks. And a 210lbs muscular man, if he is closer to you with his hands, his arms (on that angle) will look big.

EDIT
    here is the pic**
    [​IMG]
    --dk7

10. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

im not too put off by the bulk of his characters...i mean, realistically, batman would never have the physique that lee draws him with, he'd be much more lean...but its comics. so im not too worried about that when it comes to his art.

11. darknight7

It actually is true, A man who is that weight and height...technically wouldn't be THAT big.

He would be about 250-270lbs rather than 210.

But it is still cool to see him like a tank

--dk7

12. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Reign of Terror

Love Lee's work. I'm kinda on the fence with Alex Ross, his work is beautiful but i've always found it a bit weird

13. [A]

[A] Well-Known Member

This thread needs more images.

14. OctaviusINC

OctaviusINC Trust Me.

I like Lee's work. Some little things he does annoy me, like seeing Bruce's ears through the cowl, stupid nerdy stuff like that. I don't like his Joker, his proportions are extremely exaggerated more so then previous incarnations(Well, maybe Arkahm Asylum is crazier). But he's still a great artist. You gotta admit when flipping through Hush it just looks so damn slick.

15. batboy99

batboy99 BTVS

Lee's Batman is my definitive Batman. Yes, his muscles are exadurated big time ,but its a comic book..

16. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

The only thing that bothers me is that Lee gives Batman and Superman the exact same build. Batman is big but superman should be way buffer than batman. Besides that i absolutely love Lee's art, his characters are very dynamic and yet he doesnt push it too far like oh Joe Mad or Liefield for instance.

17. CrimsonMist

CrimsonMist Well-Known Member

i disagree. Superman could have been a toothpick and he'd still be able to lift an airplane without effort. Batman needs to be bigger, simply because he's trained his body to physical perfection. Batman has to be buffer. So i don't really understand where you're coming from.

anyways, i don't think Jim Lee is that great. I mean, i like him, but a lot of his characters look the same(though i shouldn't complain. Steve Dillon's the same way and i love his work.) What really bugs me about Jim Lee's work is his colorist. He needs a new one. Everything Lee draws is always glossy and flashy. There's a big difference in mood between Lee's normal colorist, and that piece he did with Alex Ross. I'd like to see Jim Lee colored by someone else.

18. -Arya-

-Arya- Brightest Day

I do love Lee's work. It was actually the design I was introduced to. By that I mean actually reading a GN with Lee's work in it. I had seen other designs of Batman done by other artist but Lee's near perfect IMO.

At some points Batman becomes overly huge but more often than not I think its well done.

This is a perfect shot of Batman IMO, and he is not rediculously huge.
    [​IMG]

This one however looks more like the Hulk than Batman
    [​IMG]

19. CaptainClown

CaptainClown Papa SPANK!!!

[​IMG]
    Jim Lee's sketches seem better then what has been published.
    I agree completely. It is his colorists that really turn me off from his art. They make everything insanely flashy and bright. I don't find it particularly bright but it just doesn't seem to work entirely all the time.

20. darknight7

I agree, I've always LOVED the first image.

But the second one where he is hunched over I have never liked...it's yucky:)

--dk7

21. Dark Victory

Dark Victory A$AP WAYNE

Jim Lee: the most overrated person in comics.

22. November Rain

November Rain Single Mother

his artwork is iconic

23. Two-Face=Badass

Two-Face=Badass Well-Known Member

I don't know, it'd be him or Frank Miller for me, ironic huh?

Anyway I like his art but agree it is overrated. Everyone looks too perfect to the point where even Leslie Thompkins looks like Selina Kyle, and I agree he needs a new colourist, I hate that flash. He is also very generic, I'd like to see him get his own style, the only truly unique thing with him is Hulk Batman. And then there's the faces, Gordon, Bruce, Tommy and Harvey in Hush literally all look the same.

I'm not bashing him, I like his art, but it is extremely overrated, evokes no true style or atmosphere, and he can't draw different looking people for acorns.

24. CaptainClown

CaptainClown Papa SPANK!!!

Eh I wouldn't say he is generic, I would say he kind of started that style that a lot of artist try and copy. Jim Lee made that style popular and I know a bunch of artist try to be like him hence why he may seem to be everywhere.

25. [A]

[A] Well-Known Member

So he's like the Wolverine of comic book artists..?