JJ Abrams said that Star Wars Episodes 1-3 are not cannon!

Leafar the Lost

Civilian
Reaction score
JJ Abrams said it at Comic Con, surrounded by the original cast, so it has to be true. George Lucas sold Star Wars for billions, so his opinion no longer counts. Those prequels were disappointing, and it destroyed the careers of the two actors who played Darth Vader. Really, I hope Lucas has reached out to those two men and offered them financial assistance.

He didn't, he said for him, Episodes IV-VI were what was important, expecialy to the story he was telling. He has been very careful not to bash the Prequels directly.

JJ Abrams said it at Comic Con, surrounded by the original cast, so it has to be true. George Lucas sold Star Wars for billions, so his opinion no longer counts. Those prequels were disappointing, and it destroyed the careers of the two actors who played Darth Vader. Really, I hope Lucas has reached out to those two men and offered them financial assistance.

He never said that. All he said is that he is focusing more on the OT when it comes to TFA. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with Star Wars "destroying careers". I remember people saying the same thing about Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. I don't know, maybe some of these well loved actors just aren't as good as fans believe they are? Or maybe there's always been a stigma against those who appears in a Star Wars movie?

Just found this out, thought it would be interesting to see what Abrams had to say about the Prequels before he got the job for Episode VII...and he doesn't seem to say anything negative:

J.J.Abrams said:
Well, I’m just a fan of "Star Wars." As a kid, "Star Wars" was much more my thing than "Star Trek" was. If you look at the last three "Star Wars" films and what technology allowed them to do, they covered so much terrain in terms of design, locations, characters, aliens, ships — so much of the spectacle has been done and it seems like every aspect has been covered, whether it’s geography or design of culture or weather system or character or ship type. Everything has been tapped in those movies. The challenge of doing "Star Trek" — despite the fact that it existed before "Star Wars" — is that we are clearly in the shadow of what George Lucas has done.

J.J.Abrams said:
That cantina scene is obviously one of the classic scenes in "Star Wars" and it was such a wonderful introduction to how amazing, how diverse and how full of possibility this "Star Wars" universe was going to be. In the subsequent films, especially the last three, so many scenes have that feeling, that they are just expanding and expanding the worlds. That was definitely something where I felt the burden of "My God, they’ve done it all." And the challenge is how do you do it where it feels real and meaningful and not like you’re borrowing from someone else. That’s just one of our challenges.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/01/30/jj-abrams-star-trek-must-break-away-from-the-shadow-of-star-wars/

He seems to imply CGI was a great thing for the Prequels, i would actualy like to see what more he has to say regarding the films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"