Joaquin Phoenix Or Barry Keoangh ?

BMW 224

Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope
Reaction score
Both Jokers are new.

Haven't had much screentime as the Joker yet for to unique story decisions.

Played by great actors.

Have a bold redesign that still keeps the classic DNA of Joker.

Both have a disability that helps them becoming Joker the uncontrollable laughter/disease.

On the limited screen time we've had with these two which Joker are you personally preferring right now ?

Idk... The take Keoghan's working with is more in line with how I generally view The Joker. He just radiates pure ****ing evil and malice.

As great of stories as TKJ and the Phoenix movie are, I just get annoyed with efforts to make Joker "sympathetic" in any way. But the catch with both of those stories is that a lot of it can be up to interpretation. And Phoenix was just great.

cmon-dude-cmon-man.gif

Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie made a billion.

Won him The Academy Award. Nominated for Best Picture. And your BMW driving bald head wants to negate all that and make a versus over a deleted scene...Never change Hype! Barry's version leaves one intrigued for sure, but on no real time line can you take that short moment and pick it over a whole film performance. Also, having just rewatched 'Manhunter', which Matt Reeves basically took almost shot for shot inspiration of said scene, Barry ain't even fit enough to clean Brian Cox shoes, let alone wipe Joaquin's Oscar winning performance. Basically, the seed has been planted, but hasn't bloom yet.

cmon-dude-cmon-man.gif

Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie made a billion.

Won him The Academy Award. Nominated for Best Picture. And your BMW driving bald head wants to negate all that and make a versus over a deleted scene...Never change Hype! Barry's version leaves one intrigued for sure, but on no real time line can you take that short moment and pick it over a whole film performance. Also, having just rewatched 'Manhunter', which Matt Reeves basically took almost shot for shot inspiration of said scene, Barry ain't even fit enough to clean Brian Cox shoes, let alone wipe Joaquin's Oscar winning performance. Basically, the seed has been planted, but hasn't bloom yet.

In all seriousness I don't really see this as a "VS" thread who's objectively better etc.

I just wanted to see people opinions without turning the the official Barry Keoangh Joker thread in all but name only into a warzone with a simple question.

I made this thread so the answers would be contained here because I love both Jokers at the moment despite there differences and wanted to see what other people felt.

You see I'm not a monster I'm just ahead of the curve.....

Or maybe to you I'm just a nobody who wants to be a somebody lol but I'm not hating on Joaquin or Barry at all to be clear.

In all seriousness I don't really see this as a "VS" thread who's objectively better etc.

I just wanted to see people opinions without turning the the official Barry Keoangh Joker thread in all but name only into a warzone with a simple question.

I made this thread so the answers would be contained here because I love both Jokers at the moment despite there differences and wanted to see what other people felt.

You see I'm not a monster I'm just ahead of the curve.....

Or maybe to you I'm just a nobody who wants to be a somebody lol but I'm not hating on Joaquin or Barry at all to be clear.

I knew this type of thread was iinevitable, just thinking it would come after a full performance from Barry. Tis all. I do give you credit for being first, and when this thread will eventually be bumped-post full performance.

I have no doubt whatsoever Keoghan’s Joker will be a better character overall and, on the strength of that, he’ll give the better performance. Joaquin is at it alone with a pretty dull character and underbaked screenplay - Joker is a good movie but Phoenix is completely holding the shoddy, rickety foundations up on his shoulders. I already like this Joker way more than Fleck.

But for now, I guess Phoenix? He’s a generational great talent and he had two hours to show it off. It’s not his best work, or even close to his best work, but guys a legend. It’s a bit of a default win, but for now I think it stands.

They’re also hard to compare because Fleck doesn’t feel like the Joker to me, while Keoghan’s immediately does. That doesn’t make Keoghan’s better but I don’t see them as comparable characters thus far.

Keoghan is already my least favorite cinematic Joker. Joaquin gets my vote.

Phoenix was a better Joker in The Master...

... :cwink:

We literally only saw Barry for a grand total of like 5 minutes vs Joaquin who had an entire movie.

This.

We're comparing a partial performance to an entire fleshed out movie one.
If we're only comparing Joker's, their screen time is actually fairly close.

With Barry's next appearance, your quote may switch the roles of the actors in that sentence.

We're talking about a film where Joker is a full-fledged protagonist vs a five-minute deleted scene where you can barely even see him. I know that people here adore The Batman but it really shocks me that this is a debate and they're so close.

@Filmfreak is ok to compare Heath vs Rupert Pupkin? Joker ain't a movie about joker and his actions. it's a character study of a regular dude who shares hardly any characterstics of the joker. Phoenix is in makeup for less then 20 minute as well. i find it easy to compare joker portrayals when one has a full-on 5 minutes interaction with Batman meanwhile the other one has 20 minutes of faux early scorsese and we live in a society joker amalgamation.
If we wanna talk about acting, then well, Phoenix of course is better in his movie. It's one of the best performances of the last decade.

Last edited:
I don't see how it matters if he was in full make-up or not. A character isn't defined by his appearance, but by his actions and persona. And we get to see a character study throughout the whole Joker movie even if he was a work in progress for half the movie. But even if you go by the book and count official screen-time, the truth is we don't exactly see Keoghan in make-up. Because... he's barely seen behind a glass. In just five minutes he's in. In a deleted scene. That we don't even know if it's canon. Again I fail to see how there's a serious debate over this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"