The Rise of Skywalker John Boyega as Finn (IX)

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
Returning cast members [for Episode IX] include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

Last chance to do something cool with him. He needs to play a crucial role in the last film.

Boyega has been a great funny man but I hope the lessons Finn learned in 8 reverberate into 9 and we see a more competent, confident version of him.

Boyega has been a great funny man but I hope the lessons Finn learned in 8 reverberate into 9 and we see a more competent, confident version of him.
Since the lessons in 8 were redundant, already covered in the far better in predecessor of TFA, and ultimately *piddly* I’d say he needs significantly more imagination and intelligence in his writing this time around.

No one should be confused about the fact he’s the male lead of the ST after IX. None of this “Kylo is Rey’s Co-protagonist” bull.

John Boyega: “The Skywalker saga is done. It felt amazing being part of this final fight. For me, after Episode 8, I wanted more clarity. I had so many questions. I am the Star Wars fan, on set, that likes to debate everything. So for me, I just wanted to see more. I wanted to know about these characters. I wanted to see them together. So I was like, c’mon JJ man, I haven’t written a drop yet but I know exactly what the fans want. They want to see everybody together. They want to see the dynamics between Rey and Kylo. They want more explanation of the [jedi] path. So let’s do it! So I’m glad JJ was on the same exact page.” (April 12, 2019)

His character was great in TFA, but I just couldn't get into his arc in TLJ.

John Boyega:
"[Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker], a lot of it is Finn, Poe, and Rey, and Jannah all going for this big massive adventure." "Honestly, the bottom of my heart, I don't think I am [going to play Finn again]. I don't think I am. I feel like it's...I really do feel that way. Honestly, no, serious, I just...this really is that movie. I think everyone doesn't believe it, but this is that war that just ends everything. So I'm just like 'wow', you know." "Yeah [it answers all the questions that the fans want answered], yeah, yeah. Definitely, 100%."

John Boyega:
"[Finn does] a lot of fighting, a lot of fighting, supporting Rey, definitely more establishment about his past and why he is/was a part of the First Order. A lot of secrets to be revealed." (August 24, 2019)

Last edited:
John Boyega: "Ah man, you’re [asking questions and] talking to the person that has struggled over the years with all these secrets and stuff. It’s important to me not to reveal anything because the shock value is so important for this one." "[Star Wars: The Last Jedi]…it split the fans, yeah." "Yeah, [J. J. Abrams being back] is good, but I also feel that with this movie, you’ll understand why there was such an about-turn in [Star Wars: The Last Jedi]. Sometimes, life gets in the way, and I think that was just what happened to the characters, what with them splitting apart, suffering, and having so little hope of winning. I think that’s good, because the next movie wraps things up in a way that makes sense of all that." (November 18, 2019)

Daisy Ridley: "I think the core of the whole thing is I guess like challenging your identity and what it is that you think makes you you and the things that people think they have bestowed upon a certain person or whatever it is - is challenging what other people [are] telling you you are. Yeah."

John Boyega: "For me it's loyalty and the inner struggle, darkness and light, good decisions, bad decisions, family, love...but it's a space opera at the end of the day. It has all these things in there but it's coded in just an epic story. And it's gonna be fun (gestures)."

John Boyega: "I actually don't know [how Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker ends]. Because we shot several different things, we had reshoots, J. J. [Abrams] added some changes so I'm curious. I think I watch the movie next week [for the first time]. Yeah." (archive)

Last chance to do something cool with him. He needs to play a crucial role in the last film.

And they bloody failed! Going from them spoilers, still haven't seen it myself. My friend who is a huge SW fans put it simply, they (Disney) only played with us. From placing him in a coma, to a pointless vegas vacation storyline, to just now. What a bloody waste.

And they bloody failed! Going from them spoilers, still haven't seen it myself. My friend who is a huge SW fans put it simply, they (Disney) only played with us. From placing him in a coma, to a pointless vegas vacation storyline, to just now. What a bloody waste.
Besides the final battle scene and the opener, they gave him absolutely nothing to do except yell for Rey or the other characters. There was an interesting backstory for him in TFA and then they did absolutely nothing with it.

What an absolute waste of a potentially awesome concept. Stormtrooper turned rebel.

Does he carry guilt being a part of the first order? What tactical insight does he have serving time as a storm trooper?(Other than sanitation smh) None of this got explored.

And WHY was he so fixated with Rey!?!?

Fin should have been part of a military strike that devastated Rey's village, which triggered a sense of guilt which led to him breaking in TFA. Then he recognizes Rey as a surivior of the military attack he was part off, and his guilt give him a sense of responsibility over. There you go. Better then some random obsession.

Awesome performer wasted on crap material. "ReY!!!!!!" ugh :whatever::huh:
EMhnU47XUAAcA7o
EMhnU42X0AIP-5q

What an absolute waste of a potentially awesome concept. Stormtrooper turned rebel.

Does he carry guilt being a part of the first order? What tactical insight does he have serving time as a storm trooper?(Other than sanitation smh) None of this got explored.

And WHY was he so fixated with Rey!?!?

Fin should have been part of a military strike that devastated Rey's village, which triggered a sense of guilt which led to him breaking in TFA. Then he recognizes Rey as a surivior of the military attack he was part off, and his guilt give him a sense of responsibility over. There you go. Better then some random obsession.

Awesome performer wasted on crap material. "ReY!!!!!!" ugh :whatever::huh:
EMhnU47XUAAcA7o
EMhnU42X0AIP-5q
Yes, this was an exciting opportunity to do something new yet they barely touched on it. I keep forgetting he was a stormtrooper until someone brings it up again.

Going to be honest; my disappointment at Finn’s story again being nothing special (I can’t emojasized enough hw much I connected and loved the guy in TFA) is half the reason I hate Ben Solo. They demoted a more developed and origainl character, and stuck him with nothing to do... in favor of trying to give the loathsome copy cat of Vader a conventional Anakin-style ending.

The other half is because of how much the Ben Solo-fixation screwed up Rey across two films.

I was waiting for the action scene at the end, where he boards Pryde’s Star Destroyer, and had high hopes for it. It wound up being more rote and boring than even his fight with Phasma.

It's sad how much this guy was wasted, especially considering how strong of a dramatic actor Boyega is, and they really could have explored some interesting aspects about his character's past history as a Storm Trooper that was nicely set up in TFA. Instead they gave Rey and Ben all the shine, and completely sidelined him with weak material that made him either a goofy character who resorts to comedic relief every 5 minutes or even worse a prop piece designed to get characters from point A to point B depending on the convenience of the plot.

I am really disappointed with what they did with Boyega. Good actor and they had a really interesting concept behind him.

It's funny how so many praised Disney Star Wars for being diverse but when you look at it
-The 2 non white leads got heavily sidelined by the end of the saga
-3/4 of the movie female leads were the same type of pretty petite white brunettes
-The one non white female lead only appeared significantly in 1 movie
-Lupita Nyongo was regulated to a CGI character whose role continually got reduced
-Gwendolyn Christie, the tall more built woman, was regulated to staying in armor and didn't get anything to do
-We still only have one lead female creative mind behind Star Wars (Deborah Chow who's doing the Obi Wan series)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"