John Byrne

Elijya said:
Byrne is on a whole other level and just a dick

I agree... but it may not have always been the case.

John Byrne's rise and fame in the comics industry happened very quickly in the early 80's... he helped X-Men (a former fledging title that was on the verge of cancellation MANY times in the previous 15 years) become a money magnet for Marvel, he boosted sales with FF, was lured away from DC to revamp their FLAGSHIP character in 1986 (Superman), etc... I can see where all of this might have gotten to his head. If he was just a regular dick prior to the 80's, he became a colossal dick by the time the 90's rolled around, and despite his great art (I still like it), his writing skills have suffered.

In my opinion, he should just stick to art (he does need a good inker though, like Austin when he was on X-Men). Then maybe he can retire from the industry with what little dignity he may still have.

:)

I looked on his forums. Apparently you have to use your real name. No surprise, because otherwise he'd probably get 5 pages of "ur a dick". Everyone there kisses his ass, too. Urge to troll...rising.

Well, there's nothing wrong with the real name thing. Mark Millar has that rule too.

Harlekin said:
Well, there's nothing wrong with the real name thing. Mark Millar has that rule too.

It is if you don't feel like kissing his ass, and would much rather do quite the opposite. Now I'm not saying troll, but I mean, I'd like to voice my dislike of his autographing policies, and discuss why Superman Returns was fantastic and Mr. Byrne is missing out on a great movie.

hulkamania85 said:
It is if you don't feel like kissing his ass, and would much rather do quite the opposite. Now I'm not saying troll, but I mean, I'd like to voice my dislike of his autographing policies, and discuss why Superman Returns was fantastic and Mr. Byrne is missing out on a great movie.
Uhm, no, that's what makes the whole real-name thing such a good thing. Critisizing somebody directly under the veil of anonimity is basically not owning up to your own views and opinions, aka not being man enough to stand behind your words.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14104&PN=1&TPN=1

John Byrne said:
Okay, time for me to rain on this parade. I didn't know he had kids. YOUNG kids. This alters the mix considerably. This makes him an [BLACKOUT]AS*HOLE[/BLACKOUT]. Cops and firemen, to name but two, place their lives on the line every day to protect others. There was nothing Steve Irwin was doing that he could not have done -- as did, say, David Attenborough -- without putting his life at risk.
This takes this from tragedy to stupidity, and, worse, irresponsibility.

I don't understand how this makes him an "a-hole." As a father myself, I make many of my decisions based on the fact that I have children, and thus must do things that protect both me AND them. Steve Irwin, even though I love him to death, was very wreckless. Hell, the show he was doing was "The ten most dangerous" creatures on earth when he died. And, he has in the past put his baby in danger by bringing it into the crododile pens with him. We know that "to err is human;" but, he was obviously more concerned with his image and ratings than being there to raise his family.

really not wanting to get into the bashing byrne but...

Though I can actually understand byrnes point it amazes me that :
a)he felt the need to say it the day after the mans death
b)that he made it in such an ignorant and insensitive way
and c) the drones on his board defend it.

Phaedrus45 said:
I don't understand how this makes him an "a-hole." As a father myself, I make many of my decisions based on the fact that I have children, and thus must do things that protect both me AND them. Steve Irwin, even though I love him to death, was very wreckless. Hell, the show he was doing was "The ten most dangerous" creatures on earth when he died. And, he has in the past put his baby in danger by bringing it into the crododile pens with him. We know that "to err is human;" but, he was obviously more concerned with his image and ratings than being there to raise his family.

You can say he was irresponsible, you can critise his lifestyle but you should not, I repeat should not insult him.

Its that simple.

Byrnes point is that he should have stopped risking his life once he became a father. Its a fair point but he made it so very badly and INSENSITIVELY.

ie do you think if he spoke to steve's widow and told her husband was an ******* for doing what he done do you think she'd agree or think he was being insensitive.

this is his christopher reeves comment all over again, something that is a fair enough opinion voiced like its god himself speaking with little or no care as to who it offends.

Its pretty consistent with Byrne's antics. The man has no class and really I dont care what people say, the world would be a lot better place without John Byrne.

Quote:
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "I am GLAD this as_hole is dead. Sorry for his wife and kids, but relieved they are in no further danger from his lunacy!" - John Byrne on the death of Steve Irwin.
Now, if he said that, it is pretty bad. The first quote I didn't see anything that would make me that upset.

I didn't agree with what Irwin did either but Byrne's statements are in bad taste.
But then, I lost respect for him after "Chapter One".

Im glad to see that Byrne's board are not lacking its classic ass kissing of old. I applaud those who have posted against Byrne in that thread.

Chris Wallace said:
I didn't agree with what Irwin did either but Byrne's statements are in bad taste.
But then, I lost respect for him after "Chapter One".

At least "The New Atom" is pretty good.

I AM bothered when I see people shedding tears over someone who is an irresponsible, egotistical, apparently virtually insane *******.
Get this one absolutely clear: the endangerment of children gets ZERO TOLERANCE in my book. This guy should have been taken out of the croc pen, had his kids taken from him, and been thrown in the deepest, darkest, dankest pit the Australian judicial system has to offer. Preferably after being skinned alive. "*******" is too good a word.

:csad:

Irwin WAS an idiot. He went on TV saying that it distresses him people think his job is dangerous when it's not, then he dies from a dangerous incident.

Didn't you yanks see the pictures that made him pretty unpopular over here? HE DANGLED HIS BABY IN FRONT OF A CROCADILE OR ALIGATOR, SAYING HE HAD IT UNDER CONTROL. That's worse than what Michael Jackson did with his kid, dangling it out the window in Germany.

It's terrible to say because he's dead, but I hate two-faced people. I'm not going to lie, I liked what Irwin did but would have hated him as a person. He was an idiot to do some of the things he did and he paid for it. Sorry.

But yes, John's put his foot in it again. At least leave these sort of comments for 6 months or so. Why does he say such things??

MyPokerShirt said:
Irwin WAS an idiot. He went on TV saying that it distresses him people think his job is dangerous when it's not, then he dies from a dangerous incident.

ironically what killed him wasn't actually a dangerous stunt.

swimming with sting rays is quite safe in general, 3 fatalities in the last 100 years given the amount of people who swim with them its quite safe.

May I point out that what he did in general was dangerous and he even put his baby's life in danger, but he was filming for a documentary. Irwin doesn't do things normally, he wasn't just swimming with it, I'm willing to believe he was prodding it or whatever. Have you ever seen his show?? lol, anyway that's conjecture, but I'm willing to believe he again wasn't being safe and that's what makes his death so sad... :( I truly feel sorry for his family and hope his kid won't grow up to read comics and hear what Byrne has said so close to the death, being such a high-profile man on this forums and within the comic industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"