John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

Reaction score
Anyone else feel nostalgic when seeing his films? I hope he makes another film one day.

Halloween
Assault on Precinct 13
They Live
Prince of Darkness
Big Trouble in Little China
Starman
Christine
The Thing
Escape from New York
The Fog

Halloween is obviously amazing. My favorite film of his and horror film ever. But he's got a ton of great ones and is great with the music too. Some of my favorites are

Halloween
The Fog
The Thing
They Live
Prince of Darkness
Escape From New York

Halloween is in my top 10 all time favorite movies. I never tire of watching it. A true classic. Aside from Halloween, I love many other of Carpenter's movies including:

The Thing
The Fog
Escape from New York
Big Trouble in Little China
They Live
Prince of Darkness (a really underrated horror movie)

Joker same here Halloween is in my top 10 all time. And also agree Prince of Darkness is very underrated.

He's absolutely one of my favorite directors ever. :yay:

His full body of work is really astounding, actually.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
Halloween (1978)
The Fog (1980)
Escape from New York (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Christine (1983)
Starman (1984)
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
They Live (1988)
Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Village of the Damned (1995)
Escape from L.A. (1996)
Vampires (1998)
Ghosts of Mars (2001)
Masters of Horror: “Cigarette Burns” (2005)
Masters of Horror: “Pro-Life” (2006)
The Ward (2010)

37865-Michael-Myers-Gif.gif

tumblr_m7b519p4dt1qj7u8ao1_500.gif

michaelmyersgifs.gif

If you guys don't have these shout factory blu rays, well you should get them haha.

109611_front.png

prince.png

theylive.png

91KyiJUDMIL._SL1500_.jpg

One of my favorite directors! I think The Thing is his best movie.

I wish he'd make a big comeback, but I guess he's too busy smoking weed and playing video games or watching basketball.

Anybody have Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network? He has a show called "The Director's Chair" where he interviews directors. He did one with Carpenter, Guillermo del Toro, and Tarantino. Francis Ford Coppola and Michael Mann are next. Good stuff.

Halloween is in my Top 10 of all time. It's a classic. Escape From New York is another one of my favs.

He's a master of scores too. Anyone interested in his music should definitely check out his new 'Lost Themes' album, which is out next week.

I also liked Escape from LA. Bruce Campbell was great in it:woot:
MV5BMjE4Njk1NjU3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDM2NzA3._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

My fave as a kid was Big Trouble in Little China!

Recently re-watched ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and, damn... It still holds up. It's a well told tale, and just a pulpy great movie. Carpenter's storytelling is always lean, but not anemic. The characters are always well defined for the viewer. The way he constructs the stories in his best films though is so economical. He also has a sense of humor that probably kept him from joining the Speilberg's and Zemeckis' of the film world. Let's be honest, his most ingratiating film was probably STARMAN, which I think is a film you don't hear too much about these days, but it was very well received by audiences in the 80's. I think his days behind the camera are over, but let's hold out hope that Tarantino decides to produce one last Russell/Carpenter film.

It really is an amazing filmography when taken as a whole.

''I don't give a f*** about your war... or your president.''

I love Plissken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"