John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

[YT]tGLUVp0Fq_0[/YT]

[YT]_fzGde66DJo[/YT]

[YT]vSLgbKm1gUs[/YT]

Funnily enough as a huge fan of Carpenter I never really loved Escape From New York. It's a fine movie but I don't love it like I do many of his others.

Funnily enough as a huge fan of Carpenter I never really loved Escape From New York. It's a fine movie but I don't love it like I do many of his others.

I can understand why. It's bit slow even for an action film. Also, as strange as it sounds, compared to the rest of his post HALLOWEEN filmography it's actually a bit tame compared to everything else. For me... I just love the gritty/grunginess of it all and it's the greatest Cline Eastwood film that Clint never did.

I can understand why. It's bit slow even for an action film. Also, as strange as it sounds, compared to the rest of his post HALLOWEEN filmography it's actually a bit tame compared to everything else. For me... I just love the gritty/grunginess of it all and it's the greatest Cline Eastwood film that Clint never did.

Once you embrace the cheese and the ridiculous of it all, it PLAYS.

You are the duke of new york!

Season Hubley always played a hooker. Lawd.

Hauk: Plissken? Plissken, what are you doing?
Snake Plissken: Playing with myself! I'm going in.

Luc Besson did his own awful version of it and then tried to act like it was all coincidence. I think Carpenter won the lawsuit.

Lockout with Guy Pierce was ok... But yea it was a blatant rip off.

Once you embrace the cheese and the ridiculous of it all, it PLAYS.

You are the duke of new york!

Season Hubley always played a hooker. Lawd.

Hauk: Plissken? Plissken, what are you doing?
Snake Plissken: Playing with myself! I'm going in.

Luc Besson did his own awful version of it and then tried to act like it was all coincidence. I think Carpenter won the lawsuit.

For me... It's all about dem Barbeaus.

gPEV84m.jpg

adrienne%20barbeau%205.jpg

I don't love John Carpenter films', I like them, but I do genuinely love the atmosphere he creates in his films. That's something very hard to achieve, specially in the type of films he makes. He just gets that part right. He created perfect micro-worlds with their own tone and atmosphere.

I just watched Escape from LA for the first time yesterday. Yeesh that was a rough movie. There was some good campy fun in it, but man, its def not one of his better movies.

I've heard that Guillermo del Toro once told Carpenter how happy he was that The Thing was getting reappraised as a classic after flopping. To which Carpenter replied 'what the f**k good does that do me now?'

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are releasing an 8 minute cover of the Halloween theme tomorrow.

Even if he was petering out near the end, Carpenter is still one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. I listen to his scores regularly, even if it may annoy my coworkers who are trying ot hear Highway Star for the umpteenth time on the radio :D

My top 5 favorite Carpenter directed films of all time are as follows:

5. The Thing

4. In the Mouth of Madness

3. The Fog

2. Prince of Darkness

1. Halloween

Big Trouble in Little China is the greatest movie ever

Happy birthday to the prince of darkness!

DTqgm3BX4AIthii.jpg

Also, the idiots at rotten tomatoes declared him dead today on his birthday. What a goddamn disgrace.

They Live is going to be 30 years old this year and still just as relevant today. It's one of those movies where I wouldn't even mind a remake provided the right studio got behind it.

They Live is going to be 30 years old this year and still just as relevant today. It's one of those movies where I wouldn't even mind a remake provided the right studio got behind it.

Such a great movie, I hope it's never remade. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a (sort of) sequel set in the same world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"