John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

I've been waiting for some kind of special edition of In The Mouth Of Madness for such a long time. This makes me so happy.

The Fog 4K Restoration Coming To US Theatres in October

Check the dates and venues here

[YT]swm90pQgFiQ[/YT]

November 10th, just a few blocks from my job.

Interesting. I haven't seen The Fog yet, how would you guys rate this one amongst his filmography?

Interesting. I haven't seen The Fog yet, how would you guys rate this one amongst his filmography?

It was on my top 5 of his for a while, but my list has changed.

Halloween
Big Trouble in Little China
Escape From New York
The Thing
Assault on Precinct 13

MONDO

msCaAHs.jpg

Special edition slip cover

JlrBRc2.jpg

Damn, here I thought my love for big trouble in little china knew no limits. This guy went all the way. lol

IQh6Ndb.jpg

b4rSsCy.jpg

bYumbPs.jpg

W8zBxIn.jpg

Last edited:
I watched The Fog for the first time in years. For some reason I thought it was okay, but after rewatching it, it's pretty great.

The Fog is a great little ghost story. Beautiful cinematography again by Dean Cundey and Carpenter's theme for it is so good.

The atmosphere of The Fog is great.

Studiocanal will be bringing brand new 4K restorations of four John Carpenter classics to DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray in the UK this Autumn.

Studiocanal will be bringing brand new 4K restorations of four John Carpenter classics to DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray in the UK this Autumn.

Restored from the original camera negatives with colour grading approved by cinematographers Gary B Kibbe and Dean Cundey, the new disc releases kick off with The Fog and They Live on October 29, withEscape from New York and Prince of Darkness following on November 26 (although a Steelbook of the latter will be available from October 29).

Artist Matt Ferguson has created brand-new artwork for each film (pictured above). While full disc details have yet to be revealed, Studocanal claims that each release will feature a selection of brand new and 'best of' bonus goodies from previous releases. It also appears that the label will be releasing The Fog,Escape from New York and They Live in 4-Disc Collector's Editions that also include a copy of the CD soundtrack.

As well as the home entertainment releases, the four restorations will also be taking to the bigscreen – albeit for very limited releases. The restoration of The Fog will have its premiere at the London Film Festival on October 15, before getting special Halloween screenings at selected cinemas on October 31.They Live and Prince of Darkness will hit the bigscreen on October 26, while the restored Escape from New York makes its bigscreen bow on November 22.

44LEmUB.jpg

XMADCNj.jpg

6cJynE7.jpg

yGalJXF.jpg

Happy Birthday oh great lord and master.....from all at SHH

Will open a bottle of Jameson and watch Big Trouble in Little China in his honor.

Howdy Hypesters. My podcast will be recording a look back/compare contrast with two of Carpenter's films which are at opposite ends of the spectrum in many many ways at the end of April.

THE THING

and

STARMAN

Two of my favorite films of Carpenters (Sorry... Not a horror guy per se so the pleasures of the Halloween films are mostly lost on me... I know, I know... BOO!!! HISS!) which I find hold up extremely well. Both are Sci fi about human first contact. AND... That's about where the similarities end. The Thing is pure Carpenter. It's his vision through and through with not even the remotest attempt at ingratiating itself to the audience. It asks you to come to it, not the other way around. STARMAN is part of the films Carpenter did due to the critical and financial failure at the time of THE THING. It's definitely Carpenter a little chastened and looking to score some points all around. Not that there's anything wrong with that and his style is still evident all around. And I would also say, it's MASTERFUL manipulation that only the best filmmakers can get away with. It might even be the hallmark of a great creator.

In any case I'd like to get some feedback on both those films. If you have never seen either I would be even more interested perhaps than if you had always liked and appreciated these works as new eyes might yield different observations. So if you haven't seen them I suggest giving them their day in court. You won't be bored for about four hours, I can tell you that.

If you are already fans of either film please feel free to let me know what stood out about them to you. What was it like when you saw either one? Have you revisited either in recent years? Any new things you can add to other's opinions about each movie? What's aged best in both? What's not aged well? What have thought the influence of either has been? Do you find them timeless or thoroughly products of their era?

Feedback of the in depth kind would be most appreciated. Don't write a novel but dear god don't just chime in with a "They're great." Give me some insight into your reasoning.

Thanks in advance.

Blumhouse would be perfect for him.

Though, I do wonder if he has it in him anymore. He hasn’t made a good film since the 80s.

His 90 output, while some are entertaining, are not good. And the less said about his last two -Ghosts of Mars and The Ward - the better.

Eh, I still enjoy his later films.

Hollywood have shafted him hard though.

I feel like Blumhouse would let him make a movie.

Side note: I actually like Escape from L.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"