John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are the directors...for now

Web-Head

Up, Up and Away
Reaction score
http://variety.com/2018/dirt/news/f...ein-1202665854/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Vacation” helmers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are in negotiations to direct “Flashpoint,” the Flash’s standalone feature starring Ezra Miller.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

The studio had initially courted Ben Affleck to return to the director’s chair, but he eventually passed on the gig. By tapping Daley and Goldstein, the studio seems to eye a comedic tone for the film, given the duo’s directing background on pics like “Vacation” and the upcoming “Game Night” starring Jason Bateman.

The two are no strangers to the comic book world, having penned the script to the smash hit “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” which they were also on the shortlist to direct.

“Flashpoint” had been on hold since director Rick Famuyiwa stepped away from the project. While looking for his replacement, the studio decided to take the script in a different direction. Joby Harold has turned in a new draft after a page one rewrite.

Executives took their time in finding a new helmer because Miller, who plays the speedy superhero, is busy getting ready to shoot “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” the second installment in the “Fantastic Beasts” franchise.

This comes as Warner Bros. is reshuffling the layout of their D.C. universe with New Line exec Walter Hamada recently promoted to oversee its comic book movies. The studio also recently tapped Michael De Luca as a producer on the “Suicide Squad” sequel.

JLJqj.gif

Here we go.

It's like they couldn't secure Lord/Miller so they got the off-brand version.

The fact this duo and Affleck were in contention shows this script is not concrete yet. I can't imagine any scenario where those two would be in competition for the same movie.

Flash deserves so much better. These guys could pull a Russo and churn out our version of Winter Soldier, but it's also unlikely.

Personally my fingers are crossed for yet another WB round of directorial musical chairs.

I never watched the films they made, but I wish them all the best.

It's like they couldn't secure Lord/Miller so they got the off-brand version.

The fact this duo and Affleck were in contention shows this script is not concrete yet. I can't imagine any scenario where those two would be in competition for the same movie.

Flash deserves so much better. These guys could pull a Russo and churn out our version of Winter Soldier, but it's also unlikely.

Personally my fingers are crossed for yet another WB round of directorial musical chairs.

I always try and keep that in mind when unconventional choices are put in charge.

I did see Vacation and it's a passable movie, but not something I'd be like, "they could really do a time travel epic."

At least this gives me hope that they might be aiming for a more light-hearted, less grimdark version of Flashpoint.

I just hope they don't make Justice League's mistake, where the script was light, but the visuals were still pretty grim.

Last edited:
This lady is quick on the opinion with these scoops.

[YT]_8NH_P9J7gA[/YT]

By hiring directors who have experience with mid-budget films featuring special effects and will probably listen to studio notes? Probably not.

By hiring directors who have experience with mid-budget films featuring special effects and will probably listen to studio notes? Probably not.

Didn't know director driven stories meant director driven by WB execs.

Makes sense now.

lol, did you follow the behind the scenes of Suicide Squad and Justice League?

Today's news kind of makes me think Flashpoint is off. Hearing that an offer was made to Affleck, someone who has only done dramatic work as a director, at some point, only for it to end up in the hands of a duo primarily responsible for lighthearted/comedic work, really makes me think that the offer to Affleck was a last ditch effort to: A) keep him on-board, and B) keep that iteration of the project alive.

Someone who has directed the stuff that Affleck has doesn't seem a completely unreasonable choice for a story where Barry goes back in time to stop his mother's death, f***s up the universe, and thereby puts two of his new friends at war with one another, causes another to be held captive all his life, and causes the dude who recruited him in the first place to be long dead, with his father taking up his mantle instead.

But comedy writer-directors? Can't picture it. I think it'll now, ideally, take the shape of WW's movie, as well as what we're hopefully given with Aquaman and Shazam. A solo adventure that's legitimately a SOLO adventure. After JL, it doesn't make sense to bark up that Flashpoint tree right now.

THR's article about Daley & Goldstein directing says they are directing Flashpoint, which means that it won't be a solo Flash film. I'm a bit wary of them, but they did some things right with Spider-Man Homecoming that I would like to see in Flashpoint.

So we are definitely getting a lighter version of Flashpoint. I just hope Daley & Goldstein love Barry Allen and give Ezra Miller room to do his best.

We don't have a straightforward press release. The news outlets are operating off the last news they heard about the Flash movie, and that was that it would be Flashpoint. I would be legitimately shocked if they're going forward with a Flashpoint movie.

Changing the title should be easy, they never "officially" properly announced FP anyway

Yeah, they got the guys who wrote a highly successful CBM from last year on board. What a horror. :o

They couldn't get anyone better? Yeesh. Hate to say it but it definitely looks like dc is continuing its trend.

Oh well, they're probably like the other flash directors who will leave in a few months

I mean, with what's lead us here, I can't really blame anyone, but ****. Still annoying.

Oh... well, this is going to end very well, I’m sure :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"