Joker 'JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX' (Phillips and Phoenix return for the sequel) General News & Discussion Thread

Rod

Civilian
Reaction score
Important:
[April 9th, 2024: Teaser trailer released (added down this post!)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if doing this correctly and pardon me if not!

The first movie really became a hit, many discussions and lots of debates around the original 2019 movie.

Anyways, figured we needed topic or a new space for news and discussion about the upcoming sequel that we do not mix with old news from the first film. As things go by, lots of news will be coming up from this next installment just announced by Todd Phillips himself!

Alas, Joaquin Phoenix - Oscar Winner for the title role and iconic character, is back, as well!

So let's go:

JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX
Directed by Todd Phillips
Script by Scott Silver & Todd Phillips
Starring Joaquin Phoenix

(again, beg your pardon if any mistakes)

'JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX' - OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

Last edited:
I was hesitant on Joker having a sequel but I am cautiously optimistic. Joaquin did an excellent job so I’m pretty excited to see where they’ll take his character

The only thing strong enough to make me want to watch this is if Dafoe is apart of it.

I am very excited for Joker 2 i think Phoenix was an amazing Joker and he coming back it's a wish come true i hope this is the beginning of DC Black Label films the DC Multiverse is finally expanding

So based on the definition of "Folie a Deux", I'm willing to bet this film is going to be about Joker and Dr Quinzel, and her gradual transformation into Harley Quinn due to their "shared psychotic disorder"

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 1.01.11 pm.png

The only thing strong enough to make me want to watch this is if Dafoe is apart of it.
Q3fImGN.jpg

Call me crazy, but I'm most looking forward to all the nonsense stories the media will throw out there about this movie like they did with the first one ("it's going to aggravate white male incel rage" and all that bollocks).

Anyway, this should be good.

I don't think those stories were nonsense though. As a film, it's quite deliberately divisive, telling you a dark, morally grey tale without specifically telling you what to think about it. That was always going to be the outcome.

I don't think those critics are wrong, but I don't think the movie was wrong either. Yes, there are things that are maybe morally irresponsible but art does that sometimes. Parts of the movie left me very uncomfortable for sure, but if that was the intention, I think its still valid art.

That said, there's also always going to be a contingent of audiences who can't see things in grey, and champion Joker as this real hero of the people. It's not the fault of the movie but it's still kinda icky to see, I think.

‘Joker’ Sequel Teased On Social By Todd Phillips; Joaquin Phoenix Reading Script – Deadline

This has been building since before Toby Emmerich exited and Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy took the reins at Warner Bros. Joaquin Phoenix hasn’t quite signed a deal to reprise his role as the disturbed murderous anarchist Arthur Fleck in a sequel to the billion dollar grossing Joker,. but the film is a go. Director Todd Phillips revealed on Instagram that there’s a Joker sequel script he just wrote with Scott Silver and that Joaquin Phoenix, who won an Oscar for playing the title role, is reading it. That isn’t quite true; Phoenix read it awhile ago, and it has come down to making a rich deal for him to star in the genre-jumping sequel.

Exciting stuff! :pcg: And here's to a few more years of backhanded, bizarrely resentful Joker commentary from fellow Batfans who, for whatever reason, begrudge the first film its success and just barely acknowledge its legitimacy as a great addition to Batman's cinematic history lol. :hehe:

I actually can't believe it's real and happening. Yes, I'm one of those who says that Joker works well as a one-off. But if this is the springboard to more Black Label films, all for it. For Phoenix, the guy who doesn't do franchises and turned down Doctor Strange, I believe, for this specific reason- for him to come back must mean this is something special. Same thing for having both Todd Phillips and Scott Silver back together to write the sequel's script.

I'm hesitant about the idea of a Joker sequel, but I'd be lying if I didn't think there must be something great in this movie's DNA for it to actually happen. That and, you know, new WBD management is probably more impressed with two Oscars and a billion dollar box office gross on such a short budget.

That said, I eagerly await the regurgitated pieces of "Here's why Joker 2 is dangerous" or the same people who said no one would see a Joker movie without Batman in it come up with new spin as to why no one would see a sequel.

Having loved the first film, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Phillips doesn't have the best track record, but Phoenix being so particular about what movies he's in gives me the most confidence that his return will at least be something worth watching.

My biggest curiosity is definitely what the overall plot of this could possibly be. Sure Quinn seems like an interesting character to bring in especially if we see the darker aspects of their relationship onscreen, but I think I'd be more interested in either Batman or other rogues he could interact with. If it's other rogues, I'd like to see influences from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

So based on the definition of "Folie a Deux", I'm willing to bet this film is going to be about Joker and Dr Quinzel, and her gradual transformation into Harley Quinn due to their "shared psychotic disorder"

View attachment 56243

You know, I think I'd actually be most interest in this psychological complaint being used in a story about The Joker and Batman. But, given what Reeves is doing and Phoenix's age, I very much doubt that's what the film's dynamically messed up duo will be.

Colour me bored if it's Harley though.

This is certainly interesting and unexpected news. I'd be up for something that doesn't shy away from a guts an' all showing of how twisted and abusive Joker and Harley's relationship really is. Something that doesn't shy away from how much of a victim he makes her. But also happy to show how balls out psycho and dangerous she becomes as a result of it (such a shame Brittany Murphy isn't still around). Something with a Mad Love kinda feel.

if they use Harley in this what about reuniting Phoenix with Reese Witherspoon {from Walk The Line) looking back at some of her early work in like Freeway, Cruel Intentions, American psycho (she can play that kinda crazy, when she wants too)
giphy.gif

I wonder if the Sequel will take place after the Arkham scene or before Arthur gets caught i have theorized that the last scene of fhe first Joker film was years in the future and Batman probably captured Arthur

If it is Harley in this world, I would consider Anya Taylor Joy.

She's quite a bit younger than Phoenix, but other than that, I could see her play a Harley that could mesh well with Phoenix's version of the Joker.

At the same time, I think the two of them could have some really intense, and well acted scenes together.

I know she's alot of fans choice for Poison Ivy, but I think she could work as Phoenix's twisted Harley.

maxresdefault.jpg

vsv2xrnus8o81.jpg

uofofnt0sz561.jpg

Call me crazy, but I'm most looking forward to all the nonsense stories the media will throw out there about this movie like they did with the first one ("it's going to aggravate white male incel rage" and all that bollocks).

Anyway, this should be good.
Those sensationalist stories are always good for a laugh

I’d honestly prefer Nicole Kidman, Jessica Chastain, Rosamund Pike, or Toni Collette. Anya Taylor Joy is too young.

What if Sophie Arthur neighbor becomes the equivalent of Harley Quinn of this universe? it would be possible but i prefer to create a new character for the Joker gang instead

She's in her late 20's.

I’m aware of her age and I know she played the love interest to someone who’s only a year younger than Phoenix. But if we get Harley in a realistic way, she needs to be at least in her 30s or 40s to be considered a reputable psychiatrist if that’s the route they go with her character. I just think people automatically fan cast the hottest actresses at the moment instead of thinking outside the box.

A few days ago, I watched the movie Syd & Nancy from 1986, and since the announcement of this sequel to Joker, I keep wondering if this one could really share some of that lover-destroyer energy.

The couple dynamic in that film is certainly different from the classic relationship between the Joker and Harley, but after all, Todd Philips first film had already freed itself from certain source material "dogmas".
We'll have to see in which state we'll find Arthur Flake, but I can imagine him being, at least at first, completely carried away by a woman with a much more explosive temperament than him, before their madness ends up feeding on each other, probably up to the tragic.

On that topic, if Harley has often been used to talk about emancipation these last years, I think the film would be much more "ballsy" to deal frankly with this dimension of a dysfunctional couple, united in spite of the violence. If the global subject is somewhat common, that approach seems to me much more audacious and to have a greater dramatic potential. It's all about ambiguity. If the director manages to make us feel conflicting emotions about the two characters, then it will be a win.

Anyway, we'll see! Maybe we're all wrong and the movie will depict how the Joker meet his number one guy : Bob. :funny:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"