Joker- Full Spoiler Talk (SPOILERS)

This is an odd one to me..

I think I had different expectations going in because IMO, the trailers made it look like a “rise of Joker” deal, that he would have a following behind him etc… and after watching it, my first thought was that this isn’t a film about the Joker (‘a’ joker perhaps) but it’s a film about mental illness and how people with it (and other less fortunate people to a smaller extent) are treated by society and more specifically it’s about a guy with a mental illness and how he copes with it (or doesn’t) – all with a Joker skin slapped on it.

It’s intense, grim, disturbing and it’s quite unlikable really. There’s no ‘hero’ or person to root for. Any sympathy you have for Fleck at the start all disappears as the film goes on.

But having slept on it, I don’t dislike it… I’m not sure if I would watch it again but I do like it. It’s certainly an interesting film anyway and Phoenix’s performance is fantastic.

I think as a film, on face value, it has flaws… there are some bits that don’t quite make sense and bits that perhaps aren’t quite made clear (I hear people say that there was already civil unrest before the subway shootings so maybe I missed something 'cos I didn’t get this). It's hard to see how Fleck would become the Joker we are accustomed to so I still don't think this is 'the' Joker.

However I do think it’s a good film but it only really works when you take the view that it’s all one big exaggerated story in his head that he’s relaying to his psychiatrist (the film does outright tell you that he makes stuff up after all);

I find it interesting that his psychiatrist and social worker are both short haired, black women in small square rooms. The way that the mob numbers and riots and violence increase drastically doesn’t quite make sense unless it’s all exaggerated. And I think it’s what he thinks he’s created and it ties in to how he is feeling – it gets bigger and louder the more dissatisfied he is. The way he is given the gun which the guys denies afterwards. His mums condition could be his own condition. His made up relationship is his desire for closeness, to be loved by someone. Similarly, the Thomas Wayne father thing (the “father figure” of Gotham) could just be something he hopes for, the last little ray of light shining through the darkness. The way his appearance on the talk show goes doesn’t quite make sense unless, again, it’s exaggerated in his head. You never see the audience either. The way Murray starts talking to him and questioning him is similar to how a shrink might talk to him. You don’t see the guy’s face who shoots the Waynes, maybe it was Fleck and that’s why he’s locked up and the talk show/shooting his way of coping.

Funnily enough, I would be quite interested in a similar character study of Batman in this same (more grounded) universe. The kid who maybe grows up to be a much more brutal, less caring Batman.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I would be quite interested in a similar character study of Batman in this same (more grounded) universe. The kid who maybe grows up to be a much more brutal, less caring Batman.

Agree with everything you said, and I feel similar on a lot of it.

The Batman part, the more I think about it, could be interesting. I still have no idea how a "Joker" so emotionally driven, with seemingly low intelligence and a slight moral compass, would be a match for any Batman worth a damn. Then again, in this universe, I'm not sure how they could depict Batman. If things were hard in Nolan's very loosely grounded reality, it would be hell in this one.

I wouldn't mind seeing a DKR inspired, catatonic Arthur though, who's been locked away since the events of this movie (if any of it actually happened) OR after he kills the psychiatrist (assuming that happened) who only comes out of it with the arrival of Batman...

So we were in it yesterday....boy oh boy, there is a lot there in and around the movie.

First of all, i dont consider or aknowledge it as a DC property personally...because it isnt.
There is nothing in there outside name dropping that makes it a DC movie.
Arthur is not the joker, it is not a comic book movie.
Even if i say that its an otherworld story or so, to me it needs more than just naming random citys and people.
There is nothing there that says DC to me...so its to me not a DC joker movie, it just happens to have a few names etc of the DC comics brand.
But thats just me, to me it should have had more than just name dropping in it...but that is a personal preference to me.

Having said that, despite what i think personally of Phillips(he is garbage)he crafted something incredible.
It is a incredible strong and deep movie where every scene is something more.
Of course a lot of it is thanks to Phoenix that had a Performance that shakes you every time he is on screen.
Its something you cant explain, it needs to be seen...but thats it.
For most people you watch the movie once and then never because you only go in there a second time or so if you really want to see all layers the movie has.
If you dont, then you will not find much after the end.

Its not a masterpiece people gushed over, but i didnt expect it to be...not for my personal taste.
I was expecting something even stronger as i have seen people lose their head over the movie, which after watching i dont really understand.
Yeah it was incredible well done but the way people act like its the greatest masterpiece in film history, i was expecting more.

The ending was a interesting choice because it leaves a lot open for interpretation and so.
At first i thought it was a cheap cop out but the more i think about the more interesting i find it.

As for the whole "controversy", i still can see why people might be concerned.
The movie tackles mental health on a layered level and doesnt push you with the nose onto it...which on one hand is good, but also a problem.
Because mentally ill people could be influenced negativ by the way the movie "frees" arthur the moment he decided to embrace insanity and violence.
But like i said, it deals with it on a more layered level so if you look closely or watch the movie a few times, im sure most people see that...but you can not expect that nor demand it to judge the movie.

Which makes the movie forever a controverse movie for good reason because it demands you to pay extreme attention or watch the movie over and over again.

But still...it was incredible strong, well done and something you just have to experience imo.

In alot of ways, I wonder if this version of Arthur Fleck/Joker would end up going up against a grown up Batman. I wonder what this Joker's purpose would be going forward.

It's hard for me to see this Joker making the leap to becoming a chaos agent, the Clown Prince of Crime, or being the type to poison the water supply or reign terror on the entire city.

You must think quadrimensionally.

He is on his way to discover his own abilities and skills.

And we don't know if this type of universe will require a "conventional" Joker who poisons the waters of Gotham. We don't even know what type of Batman this Gotham will see.

This is a new universe. Fleck is the one and only Joker of this universe. The "Proto-Joker" crap is non-existent. Joker doesn't copy anyone. Joker doesn't "take inspiration" from anyone in the world. No Proto-Jokers.

You must think quadrimensionally.

He is on his way to discover his own abilities and skills.

And we don't know if this type of universe will require a "conventional" Joker who poisons the waters of Gotham. We don't even know what type of Batman this Gotham will see.

This is a new universe. Fleck is the one and only Joker of this universe. The "Proto-Joker" crap is non-existent. Joker doesn't copy anyone. Joker doesn't "take inspiration" from anyone in the world. No Proto-Jokers.

Spot on.

My sister and brother in law watched it last night and they said that they can't see this version of the Joker becoming the criminal mastermind of the comics. They actually said he came off as a bit slow as in low IQ. I simply pointed out to them that it's more his mental illness and depression that makes him come off that way. When he finally lets go of everything and becomes the Joker (as seen in the live talk show appearance) you can clearly see a big shift in personality and confidence.

I've seen it twice in the theater but have been watching that scene on Youtube a number of times. He really gave an amazing performance and shifted gears when he needed to. Seriously, when he's on stage try to envision him without the makeup as just Arthur and think back to how he was acting prior. Demeanor, personality, everything. It was a ****ing solid evolution. With his confidence in who he now is, I can see him pulling off some stuff from the comics. Maybe not at a genius level but he's got it in himself now.

I think I want to see this a third and final time before it leaves theaters.

On another note. I've seen some people state that he didn't feel like the Joker at all, even in the last act. I heavily disagree. There have been so many writers over the decades who have put their own touches into the character while respecting what came before which leaves the door open for a number of actors to put their own spin on Joker and still keep him in-line with the comics. Some were saying he didn't laugh enough once he became the Joker and they didn't like how he lost it on the show and started yelling. Well, Joker has shown his angry side in the comics a number of times. It worked for me as well when Ledger did it "LOOK AT ME!" and even when Nicholson yelled a bit at Carl Grissom "over a WOMAN!".

Last edited:
I thought it was fascinating his voice and speech mannerisms completely changed too. It was decisively flamboyant. The playfulness every time he says “Murr-ay” was noticeable.

I didn’t catch it until my 2nd showing, but he also does this teasing shoulder shrug during the Franklin interview. But it also shows up when we see him in the beginning writing in his joke diary, the one featuring “The worst thing about having a mental illness…” entry. As he’s writing it you see him smiling and twist his shoulder playfully.

It’s like when he’s in that “mode”, this underlying persona comes out of him. Also in the original script it was explicit the childhood abuse from his mother’s boyfriend(s) was also sexual. They removed the reference in the final cut, but perhaps Joaquin did factor it into his performance.

Where in the soundtrack is the one where Joker shoots Murray?

Fun bit of Bat trivia in the film, though I'm surely preaching to the choir here...Frances Conroy is Kevin Conroy's mother and Brett Cullen played a congressman in The Dark Knight Rises. Any others?

Had to see it twice..

First viewing I don’t think I ever had so many emotions running through me while watching a movie.

Second viewing was much more enjoyable.

The third act was everything - loved it.

- -

whoa.. just realized I came out of a 3 year SHH retirement - just to comment on this movie

Last edited:

I'm not sure why people keep saying this with so much conviction when Todd himself has put it out there as a possibility. As you said, this is a new universe, and Joker already does some un-Joker like things in this movie.

But certainly, if Arthur murdered someone on TV, it's something that Gotham would never forget, it would be talked about forever. I don't think it's wrong to speculate how that could play out in the future...

Last edited:
My sister and brother in law watched it last night and they said that they can't see this version of the Joker becoming the criminal mastermind of the comics. They actually said he came off as a bit slow as in low IQ. I simply pointed out to them that it's more his mental illness and depression that makes him come off that way. When he finally lets go of everything and becomes the Joker (as seen in the live talk show appearance) you can clearly see a big shift in personality and confidence.
This is how I saw it also. There's a naivety to him but he also catches on fairly quickly. For example he knew Randall had screwed him over and had an edge to how he spoke to him when he was getting fired. If he was slow the whole Randall thing would have gone over his head.

It's his willingness to believe in people such as Randall and his mother that keeps him tethered to sanity. Once he cuts that tether he is released he becomes the true beast he is. Dancing to Gary Glitter is quite apt when you think about it like that.

Just found out today via Reddit that the woman in the Subway is the same one Arthur "sees" wearing a clown mask in the taxi cab.

Also one of the rioters is wearing TDK Joker make-up during the part where he draws his smile

Fun bit of Bat trivia in the film, though I'm surely preaching to the choir here...Frances Conroy is Kevin Conroy's mother and Brett Cullen played a congressman in The Dark Knight Rises. Any others?

Huh? Just did a Google search and she's like 2 years older than him. Not his mom.

To add to my prevous post in regards to some people having said they wished he laughed more in the third act when he becomes the Joker.

Another thing that I found great about this movie and how he is written is him laughing in the first two acts compared to him laughing in the final act. If I remember correctly, before the talk show all of his laughs were due to his mental illness. His first genuine and intentional laugh isn't until he becomes the Joker. I think he did more of a grin on the subway when he was escaping the cops but him laughing during the talk show of his own accord was a nice touch as far as character growth/evolution. A small one when Murray is telling him about what he started when he killed the guys on the subway and then another good laugh after he shoots Murray.

Spot on.

He's neither a stupid nor an idiot. He was repressed and frustrated, totally lacking confidence in his own skills.

Just watched Joker. Really liked it! Maybe the DC movie I've most enjoyed since Man of Steel. Let's hope we can get more insular, director-driven offerings.

I really loved the end where he smeared the blood across his face, completing the iconic smile/look. I thought it looked very cool and the moment was earned. It was a very good movie and the character was captivating and compelling throughout.

I thought Phoenix looked terrifying at the end when he's singing 'That's Life' with the cigarette!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"