Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle / The Punisher!

Discussion in 'Daredevil' started by BatsDC, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Malone Registered

Castle is a murderer no question, a serial one two. Which is why I think it goes back to him working better as a character who plays off others. He's somewhere between an anti-hero and a straight up villain.

Back to my Rorschach example people love that character but he worked best playing off the other less murder inclined Watchmen.

It's still hard to picture a whole series so focused on Frank and his warped mentality where he will be the protagonist.

2. TheVileOne Registered

Technically the federal government and the military do it all the time.

3. TheVileOne Registered

Well, everyone loved Hannibal and Breaking Bad didn't they?

4. Paradox1 Registered

I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment but there is a difference.

5. Bruce Malone Registered

I can't speak for Hannibal as I never watched it but I believe that show had a significant ensemble cast with other non-Hannibal leads.

Also as for Breaking Bad it was essentially a character study into a relatively innocuous man going into the depths of criminality.

If Walt in season 1 acted like Walt in season 4 or 5 there probably wouldn't have been further seasons.

I don't want to totally shoot down this show (I don't think it's even official yet) I just hope Netflix isn't using the template for DD and JJ for Punisher because I don't think that will work.

I wouldn't mind Punisher in a strong ensemble show rather than him being the main focus entirely. Which will be tough to connect as Punisher is supposed to be a loner.

6. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

The blacklist is also a successful show about a criminal mastermind with some morals going up against far worst criminals. I think audiences are mature enough to deal with characters that have shades of grey.

The suicide squad film and comic is villains/anti-heroes facing other villains.

The punisher is a loner but that had never stopped him teaming up or having allies in the comics. The 89 movie had him form a temporary alliance with a crime boss. He has teamed up with micro, cops, ex-military people, mossad agents and so on in the comics. I doubt the punisher's show will solely be about him.

7. Mike Murdock Registered

He's not a psycho/sexual killer, but he's undeniably a serial killer.

8. fixxxer ...goes to 11

Yup, he's technically a serial killer, but in the common parlance, the term serial killer is often (inaccurately) used to describe someone who gets some kind of gratification (sexual or otherwise) through murder.

I think what some of the folks here are saying is that that's not who Frank Castle is... and hence the distinction between Punisher and, say, Dexter.

9. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

You are right! I haven't seen the movie in a minute and it felt so PG-13. P:WZ had the right idea but it was way to extreme IMHO in the way it had Jigsaw come off like the Riddler and just a Syfy channel movie.

10. TheVileOne Registered

OK, technically so will The Punisher. Daredevil had other subplots and gave other non-Matt Murdock characters agency in the plot. Specifically, there were characters like Urich, Karen Page, Wilson Fisk, even some of the mobsters. A lot of had their own scenes and plots not involving Matt Murdock. Daredevil had a good ensemble as well. So if they did a Punisher series, it doesn't have to be all Punisher, all the time.

11. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I have no doubts that The Punisher will work as a solo series. There's plenty in his psyche to explore.

12. Rowsdower! Registered

Yeah, I'm all for a Punisher series. Love the character, love the actor... bring it on. I've been waiting for over 20 years to see this character done right.

13. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

I thought Punisher: War Zone was awesome.

14. MurkeNyou Registered

I grew up reading the Punisher through my adolescence and teen years when he was at peak popularity, I used to love the character. But when everything went to hell in the mid-90's, I dropped it. I got turned onto the Max series a couple years ago, while I liked it for the most part, I didn't like how they made out Frank was a Vietnam Vet/ senior citizen.

I hope in the spin-off series they follow the late 80's comics more. i hope to god they keep him a Special Forces elite Marine, and don't do the cop/ FBI agent nonsense like they have in other live action adoptions. I also hope they explain the deaths head. I know I feel a bit strange seeing the military/ gun fanboys sport his Deaths Head totally ignorant of what it signifies. But that's on them.

15. MurkeNyou Registered

These are the MAX books I would love to see adopted. Up is down, Black is white personally should be a great intoduction to his own series. Combine Bobby Cavelli and Ma Nucci into one character.

16. Punisher_MAX Ol' Painless

I always thought that a long take of him storming a building and tactically taking out an entire gang of some sort a la Hard Boiled would be the greatest Punisher moment of all time.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bozxgVQ9m0[/YT]

17. MurkeNyou Registered

I liked the skill depiction Frank/ Pullo had in War Zone, I just hated everything else. I want to see the Punishers silhouette where you just see the skull in a trenchcoated, heavily armed shadow, and all the gang members freeze like Frank is the Grim Reaper. Like how Batman is depicted as a ManBat Demon, Frank is a Vengeance Demon like Ghost Rider.

18. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

Something like this?
    [​IMG]

I've been reading Punisher Max again recently, and I personally think that should be the inspiration for the series. There's plenty of great story arcs to choose from as well as host of compelling characters, namely despicable villains for Frank to wipe out. I'd love to see Barracuda crop up a couple of times too.

19. BrollySupersj Howard, Fine, and Howard

20. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

One of my favourites too. Looks home made.

21. GoblinWhirlwind Calibrations

Yeah, that looks great. I prefer the spray painted look.

22. Slick Yup

23. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

Cool.

Just watched Sicario last night, hopefully his Punisher is nothing like that character!

24. Punisher_MAX Ol' Painless

I dont mind this one too much at all, I like the 2004 and its variations the most but owuld be ok if he had something like this. War Zone's skull wasnt too bad either.

25. MurkeNyou Registered

I just hope he is in bullet resistant Body Armor, I don't like the idea of him going in bareback 80's action hero style. In the comics over the decades Frank always made it a point to wear the Deaths Head when he is Punishing. Almost like ceremonial garb or warrior armor. I hope we see that in the movie. No T-shirts as gifts, or so faded out you have to freezeframe to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.