Jon Favreau's Lion King CONFIRMED

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Poetic Chaos, Sep 28, 2016.

1. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- The Mandalorian

Pat yourself on the back.

2. Melpardus

Melpardus Registered

A little excerpt from the novelization of the movie. If it's any indication, it looks like this version will add a bit more depth to Scar, although it seems they're going to typical route I've seen among fanfics where Scar is the neglected resentful runt.

3. Melpardus

Melpardus Registered

A sing-along set that features bits of the soundtrack, in this case an excerpt from "I Just Can't Wait to Be King". The video's audio quality isn't top-notch but you can hear that this version has its own groove and instrumentation relative to the original movie's and the stage show's. Actually sounds kinda stripped down, which could definitely fit if this isn't a big theatrical musical number like the cartoon; how much audiences will like it (assuming they notice) is up in the air. Nala's part is missing, presumably to give room for the kiddies to sing along; hopefully she has harmony parts similar to the Broadway version. Shahadi Wright Joseph (young Nala) has actually played the stage role on Broadway before this, so I hope they'd use her well.

(Fun fact, Florence Kasumba -- Shenzi in this, Ayo from Black Panther and other MCU movies -- has played Shenzi on-stage in the German production.)

#1753 Melpardus, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. AverageMan

AverageMan Fighting for Average men

5. AverageMan

6. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Sounds basically the same as the original.

Broseph44 likes this.
  7. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

Yeah isn't that what his some of us feast on scraps line was referring to when Simba first talks to Scar?

8. P Supreme

P Supreme Registered

Scar still isn't working for me When I hear Mr. Jones and not Mr. Irons makes me a sad panda
    hoping to be proven wrong I'll be paying for this opening weekend

9. kaypain

kaypain Registered

Well if you're expecting Chiwetel to do a Irons impression prepare to be disappointed.

-VisionsVision- likes this.
  10. -VisionsVision-

Quoted for truth.

11. P Supreme

P Supreme Registered

not at all if he can bring his own stamp great

12. Melpardus

Melpardus Registered

Yeah, more or less. My thing is that they never really went into it in the film; you just kinda get that he's jealous and evil as a result. He strikes me more as a force of nature/just because-type of evil, and in this age of trying to understand what makes someone tick to the point that they become villainous, I don't think it would hurt to actually flesh out Scar's backstory, I just don't like the runt-of-the-litter route they seem to be going with.

Technically, if you count the cartoon's sequels and other stuff in-canon, Scar's got a real complex that I think is actually more interesting than just what's presented in The Lion King alone. I was hoping they'd use that for the movie since not a ton of people really follow The Lion Guard, and that show still hasn't really delved into what exactly pushed him over the edge and frayed the relationship between he and his brother.

#1762 Melpardus, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  13. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

A lot of these fleshed out villains Disney had been doing as of late actually gives very viable reasons why they turned evil. You're like, they kinda had a point.

Lencho01 and LibidoLoca like this.
  14. AverageMan

15. AverageMan

16. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Registered

Yeah it's going to open much bigger than that.

17. -VisionsVision-

How is the buzz for this film? I don't feel much buzz yet...

18. samsnee

samsnee Ok

For China? I'm not sure. In the US for sure.

19. kaypain

kaypain Registered

I hope we get a new Trailer attached to Toy Story 4

20. Melpardus

Melpardus Registered

I'm guessing there'll be one more big one sometime this week. I read some rumor that said that Disney's planning to do another trailer to announce the opening of ticket sales for this, although that was supposed to be today according to whoever wrote it. (Not that I ever buy movie tickets in advance, I just want to see more from the movie.) It also officially got its MPAA rating (PG) so I'd imagine they'd want to release something with that in there.

Aside from numbers tracking, it seems to be something people are generally aware of and generally interested in if not excited about. I've started seeing reposts about it Facebook, but like, it's The Lion King; people will see it. Beyoncé's mother hosted a Lion King-themed fashion show (she does this every year apparently; last year's theme was Black Panther) and the new Nala herself gave an interview about the movie and her mother's event, and people freaked out because I guess it's the first time she's done an on-camera interview in years. I've also noticed a big marketing campaign pushing some new makeup line designed by Beyoncé's makeup artist, so they're definitely using her to bring in the Beyhive from across all mediums.

21. Drizzle

Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

Aw man, I hope they don't spoil it on Twitter. :o

Melpardus likes this.
  22. Venomfan

Venomfan Registered

Lion King is the rare Disney movie where I love the celebrity renditions of the songs by Elton John (not so much can't wait to be king though) and they are just as good as in the in film versions. I think the only other Disney movie song rendition I like is MIchael Bolton's "go the distance." I'm pretty sure that I feel that every other films character versions of the songs are by far superior and I skip the celebrity takes.

23. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Just found out that mine is literally the last country the movie will be released in. I'll have to end until the end of August to watch it. Great.

24. Shuri

Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

This movie is the kind of movie everyone is aware of and just show up for. They might not talk about it much, but they are going to see it.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  25. -VisionsVision-

Agreed.